1.    #1  
    I have a both a Treo 300 and a Treo 270, and like the 300 better but it's ruined by the lack of service Sprint provides. On hold for Days, no two-way messaging, customer service reps who sound like they were hired of the street, etc. !!! If the Treo 270 had GPRS and T-Mobile had better coverage I would be set - at least they have two-way messaging. Also the speaker and ringtones on the 300 are more up-to-date than the 270. When will someone get all these simple things right and combined into one unit? The technology is there!!

Sorry - just *****ing while waiting for someone to pick up the phone at SPRINT!!!
    Sprint's service stinks....their product was pretty good until the release of the Treo 300. I took mine back during the 14 period. I practically begged them to credit my account for all the headaches (like the majority of people getting the Treo 300) I went through - I would have kept the phone...but they wouldn't, and they now lost me as a customer. I'm back to my old phone until the Sony Ericcson P800 arrives (Q4 - other carrier)....I'm also thinking about Nextel phones...the two-way thing could be very cool. Sprint has lost all touch with reality and the customer. One of my family members bought a new Sprint phone one month ago....the LG1010 I think....it quit holding a charge, so she took it back....they would not give her a new one at the store. They had to ship it to her. She went for a week without ANY phone, and when it arrived, it was dead with no charger included....what crappy service! They really suck....
    Based on what I see from the posts here, the people who have unhappy experiences with their Treo 300s tend to fall into one or more of four groups:

1. People who had Sprint accounts before they signed up for Sprint Vision service (probably the largest group by far).

2. People who think that ringtones are the most important part of their cell phone service.

3. People who insist on using Sprint as their E-mail provider, instead of another SMTP/POP ISP.

4. People who think that sending SMS is better than sending E-mail.

If you don't fall into any of these four groups, you probably won't think that Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!, or at least not worse than any large telecom corporation. I don't, and I don't.
    Originally posted by dwphillips
    Based on what I see from the posts here, the people who have unhappy experiences with their Treo 300s tend to fall into one or more of four groups:

1. People who had Sprint accounts before they signed up for Sprint Vision service (probably the largest group by far).
    Yes, the transition process did not work for many people. It has been time consuming and unpleasant.

2. People who think that ringtones are the most important part of their cell phone service.
    I don't know about that. But I was expecting to be able to display a picture and play a unique sound to identify the caller. (I think this works on the 270). It doesn't work yet.

3. People who insist on using Sprint as their E-mail provider, instead of another SMTP/POP ISP.
    It's not so much that we *insist*, rather many ISP's don't allow SMTP unless you're connected thru them (example: attbi.com)... and it's hard to find an email client that supports the particular "offline" authentication settings.

4. People who think that sending SMS is better than sending E-mail.
    I thought I would be able to do ping-pong messaging with my pals with Nokia phones. I cannot (yet?).

If you don't fall into any of these four groups, you probably won't think that Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!, or at least not worse than any large telecom corporation. I don't, and I don't.
    Getting any messaging to work (email or SMS) SUCKS. Takes a lot of time and may cost extra depending on which path you go down. I have tried

Claire is an obstacle. Claire has the answers to about 30 simple questions. By the time I'm ready to call, I already know more than Claire.

If you call support with "*2" you cannot try the data services during the call. So why did Sprint remove the phone number for support from their website?
    Keep in mind the topic says SPRINT SUCKS. Not that the Treo 300 sucks. The Treo 300 is a great tool and Handspring did a nice job. It's just that it's associated with a telecom company and I will agree they ALL SUCK.

But some issues in particular that burn me about Sprint when it comes to the Treo 300 are these:
    • No good SMTP support. They advertise that the service offers e-mail. So YES people should be able to use Sprint as their sole source for sending and receiving e-mails.
    • SMS. I don't use it, but it's common knowledge that companies offering SMS allow you to send and receive via an application in the associated device. (Not just the ability to send via a web page.) Yet another claim not filled as it should be.
    • Untrained staff. Many of the support people obviously are learning as they go and they are not the most "tech savvy" group either. But usually lower level support at any company is not. It bites more though when you just spent hundreds of bucks for a device with that kind of support.
    • Unable to check data usage. Sure this is a "nice to have", but it's almost a requirement. Since we are billed by usage we should be able to atleast get usage numbers for the current billing cycle up to the previous day.

Just my list, but I'm sure others have their own .

I'm thinking things will not change in regards to bad telecom service from any company until Nov 2003. That's when people in the USA will be able to move their phone number with them when they change service providers. Then people will be switching like crazy and that's why folks in Europe have it so good. Then the companies will do a better job because it will be so easy for customers to leave and not have to worry about telling everyone a new phone number .
    The clearest example I can think of is the TOTAL ABSENCE of any instruction concerning email in the Treo 300 manual.

yeah, with eudora or (your favorite mail app here) you can get email wirelessly -that is awesome functionality. But how is the average ***** waltzing into the store supposed to figure it out with no included software and ZERO documentation.

I haven't tried the Business Connection, are they just trying to sell that by not mentioning you can get email for free!?!?

They spent tons of $$ adding bandwidth to their network, but no one will ever use it, because outside of 3 IT people stashed away in some Sprint basement, NO ONE even knows what can be done. (including customer service, sales staff, CEO)

It really is funny. When Verizon buys defunct sprint assets, will they convert their existing network to 100% PCS and ditch CDMA 800?
    "1. People who had Sprint accounts before they signed up for Sprint Vision service (probably the largest group by far)."

This comment is probably true - Sprint seem to have messed up on their website management and provisioning system most especially for those who already used 2G data. Who ever thought up the idea of the Vision and Manage usernames and passwords being different. Perhaps this is appropriate for business accounts but it sucks for consumer.

Early adopters need to be patient folks to get to technology first. In fact, the early adopters should be proud of their advocacy to fix the problems that later customers then do not have to face.

Ringtones are important but I would much rather have the freedom of Palm OS to do what I want than get tied in with a revenue stream from Sprint for new ringtones. It seems to be taking a while to get this working via RIngo and MonkeyRinger. Must be related to the complexity of the multi-channel tones on the 300.

"3. People who insist on using Sprint as their E-mail provider, instead of another SMTP/POP ISP."

Business Connection is good but it still has many teething problems. Treo Mail is a worthy alternate for while they fix the problems and is the one I use.

"4. People who think that sending SMS is better than sending E-mail."

SMS is now possible two way using the brand new product from PDAApps www.pdaapps.com. This uses the messaging server for Sprint and makes the Treo 300 fully functional for two-way SMS in just the same way as any other Sprint phone. You can even send emails via SMS using this method.
    No--it isn't just those categories. The issue is not the TREO it is the software back end that supports sprint vision. They tried to add on a new ID/password system to support the vision rollout but it was very poorly designed and the errors they are experienccing are snow balling. The amount of error 67s is huge and is very random in terms of who it affects (it has zero to do with those categories).

The company just came out and warned today on subscriber numbers. They said a lot of it was beause of people not paying but I think most of it is people fed up with all the problems. The data service itself is great when it is working but all the provisioning problems may make this go down as a textbook case for the worst launch ever.
    I have experienced a number of issues getting the 2 Treos on my plan (shared minutes) up and running including having services that should have been active (voice mail, caller ID, call waiting) on the plan not work, incorrect billing, having my service cut off for "exceeding my temporary credit limit restriction as a new customer" on the second day we had the phones, waiting for hours on hold to fix misc. tiny problems...

The straw and the camel for me was when I went to pay my bill online (took a week since the online payment system was down a week) and they now only allow you to pay $250 at a time though this system. Clearly 2 Treos plus service is more than $250 - I was pretty pissed at this point and called and waited for a half hour to get a person to take my payment. I ended up getting a real piece of work on the other end of the phone and finally asked to speak to her supervisor.

When I was finally talking to the supervisor, I was relieved to see that there is still at least ONE person that understands that their job is customer service, not just stonewalling customers and getting them off the phone. I explained the problems I had since I'd gotten service and he not only solved a number of them, but also gave me a credit for a month's service as an apology.

But I digress... The supervisor told me that believe it or not, they really had ramped up support, etc for the Vision roll-out, but they had gotten such an overwhelming response that they were really struggling to catch up. He stressed that they did know how rough a time people were having and they were trying their best to get the kinks out.

We early adopters are taking a lot of lumps, but it's somewhat to be expected. Sprint really screwed up by not doing a smaller roll-out first before pushing the marketing engine into full gear.

So I guess I've had my fair share of frustration with the accounts not being set up properly and having to call to get every little feature working - but all in all, the Treo is a great device and even the Vision service is quite good when it's working.

I switched from carrying a regular phone and a Palm i705. I'm saving money on my monthly bill and I have faster, much more reliable wireless data access. I'm getting what I wanted and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Advice to anyone who is having trouble with their Vision service/account features. Ask for a supervisor and tell them you want your account re-provisioned from scratch. This seems to be what needs to happen to get things "un-screwed-up" in most cases.

Ring Tones and SMS - I'm perfectly happy as long as I can receive SMS messages and send them through Eudora. Eventually I'm sure we'll get some holy grail SMS app that allows us to send easily and to people on other networks, but if SMS is the main purpose you need the Treo for, perhaps you should look at another device. Ring tones don't work because the Treo 300 uses a different database for ring tones than the previous Treos did. Once Handspring (or Sprint) releases this information to developers, the ring tone headache will be solved.

All in all (even with the headaches of getting things working) I'm pretty happy with my switch to Sprint to get the Treo.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Ever look at the sprint coverage map on the web?

These guys have zero integrity. The map has 4 colors, all shades of green! So of course, it's nearly impossible to tell whether an area is covered or not. -by design.

The two colors that are nearly impossible to separate mean exact opposites: "Sprint PCS network" (non-3G) and "off-network"

How can a company be so totally dishonest? easy, verizon is over there sleeping. They think the Motorola v60 is an exciting new product launch!

God bless Sprint for being progressive with the new phones, but they sure deserve all financial loss they suffer from their business practices and this ridiculous Vision launch.

What a bunch of clowns.
    Yes I also found the coverage map to be very misleading.
    Originally posted by u00mem9
    Ever look at the sprint coverage map on the web?

These guys have zero integrity. The map has 4 colors, all shades of green! So of course, it's nearly impossible to tell whether an area is covered or not. -by design.

The two colors that are nearly impossible to separate mean exact opposites: "Sprint PCS network" (non-3G) and "off-network"

How can a company be so totally dishonest? easy, verizon is over there sleeping. They think the Motorola v60 is an exciting new product launch!

God bless Sprint for being progressive with the new phones, but they sure deserve all financial loss they suffer from their business practices and this ridiculous Vision launch.

What a bunch of clowns.
    I live in one of the fringe areas of Sprint's network and have made several inquiries (to no avail) as to whether or not better coverage is planned for our community. I started out sudying Sprint's online coverage map. There is absolutely no way to tell the difference between the shades of green when all 4 are used within the same portion of the map; therefore, there is no way to tell what the service is/is not, or will be!! I totally agree, this is an out-and-out marketing scam!
    Yeah, yeah, Sprint SUCKS. So what's new? Their customer service has always been awful.

Only difference on the PCS vision rollout is that PCS vision doesn't work reliably. In the past if there were technical issues they were a pain to fix, but they got fixed. Now with the infamous "Error 67" popping into visit people on an apparently random basis you don't get an opportunity to forgive an forget.

Throw in this that they have all kinds of issues that they're hoping will just go away. Tech support says changing your PCS vision password or user id is "bad". So why is it still enabled on the web site? Are they masochists? One tech rep told me that "you can't login on the right side" of the Sprint manage login page. "You have to use the left side." he says just after I login to it. If that's the case why is "the right side" (PCS vision) still there at all? Of course it's still there and customers try use it. Hello? Has anyone at Sprint heard of commenting out code that doesn't work?