Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    I confirm your findings. Doc files ARE NOT encapsulated as CABs going through the the SprintPCS infrastructure. I did not test using with Sprint POP3/SMTP servers.
    Last time I tested this was 11/9. I sent myself 4 different emails with different attachments. GIF, JPG, XLS, & DOC. Sprint did the CAB file process on the XLS & the DOC. I kept these sitting on my Treo in SnapperMail hoping for a solution.

Anyway, I found the originals I sent myself from my desktop in November and resent them just now. The CAB mod is now absent.

I hope they've dropped this for good.

It's discussed on the SnapperMail site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Snappe...arch?query=cab
    Originally posted by manorton

Last time I tested this was 11/9. I sent myself 4 different emails with different attachments. GIF, JPG, XLS, & DOC. Sprint did the CAB file process on the XLS & the DOC. I kept these sitting on my Treo in SnapperMail hoping for a solution.

Anyway, I found the originals I sent myself from my desktop in November and resent them just now. The CAB mod is now absent.

I hope they've dropped this for good.

It's discussed on the SnapperMail site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Snappe...arch?query=cab
    Ok, So I forwarded the email containing the cabbed DOC from 11/9 back to myself and YES it opens as a Microsoft CAB file.
    Ditto here. Drove me nuts. Switched to SnapperMail instead, though paid the pretty penny for it. Eudora is REALLY close to being the mail app I wanted for the Treo, but the caps lock, and the annoying smooth scroll were enough negatives to make me look elsewhere.

Snappermail guy(s), please add lightweight HTML formatting capabilities ala Eudora -- this would make it just about perfect. I know others will ask for SSL, etc. For me, this would be enough. Thanks!

dennis!

Originally posted by mblank
    I gave up Eudora for the same reason (i.e. Caps lock)
    Originally posted by dwoodwoo
    Ditto here. Drove me nuts. Switched to SnapperMail instead, though paid the pretty penny for it. Eudora is REALLY close to being the mail app I wanted for the Treo, but the caps lock, and the annoying smooth scroll were enough negatives to make me look elsewhere.
    As I've said earlier in the thread, Eudora's caps lock problem is not a reason to give up the program. Just install AutoShift Hack or equivalent.

I could see being annoyed by the smooth scroll, though. I'm annoyed at it primarily because implementing it that way rather than using standard text entry APIs breaks the ListType ('...') key in mail bodies, which could be a valid reason to give up on Eudora (though there are workarounds).
    Did we decide that Snappermail is the best email program for the treo? (at least for those who don't run secure unix mailservers at home?)
    David
    Well, I resisted for a while but I finally ponied up the $$ for SnapperMail with the latest version. They still have some work to do but they've got a good thing going over there.

I do miss one feature of Mark/Space Mail though, the ability to insert an Address/Contact's information inline in an email from the Address Book.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by drw
    Did we decide that Snappermail is the best email program for the treo? (at least for those who don't run secure unix mailservers at home?)
    I don't know who "we" is/are but while the current SnapperMail beta is a step in the right direction, it isn't the answer for everyone (i.e. No IMAP support yet, no HTML stripping yet (show stopper for me), no sync delete although they had the foresight to show messages deleted from the server). Secondly, I have a personal problem with paying for the privlege to beta test software. But that is something I have to live with myself.

To answer the question...IMO, there is no "best" e-mail program for the Treo for the simple reason everyone is looking for something slightly different (intermediate server vs. no intermediate server, robust attachment support vs. simple or no attachment support, IMAP vs. who cares, HTML stripping vs. who cares, sync delete vs. who cares, multiple mailbox support vs. who cares, etc., etc., etc.). My 2 cents worth.
    I agree with Maniac8888. Depends on what you need. Check out Dan Harkless' EXCELLENT comparison of the major players. The link is somewhere in this thread...

drw, since this is your quest, I'm gonna be lazy and let you search for it!
    (Sorry for this delayed reply -- been trying to post it since last night but an apparent bug in my ZoneAlarm Pro 3.5.169.002 was causing it to fail...)

Originally posted by drw
    It's a question of whether whatever mail server you use supports SSL or other encryption (e.g. APOP or CRAM-MD5) -- whether you run your own server isn't a factor. (And my server is not at home.)

Other reasons that particular individuals might find that Snappermail doesn't best suit their needs include is lack of IMAP support, its inability to sync with a desktop mail client, its lack of "push" support, its lack of support for user-defined folders, etc.

It's not possible to name a single "best email program for the treo" -- it depends on your needs. If there were one clear best, my comparison table would be pretty pointless.

It would be valid to ask, "What's the favorite email app for Treo?", though. Or, "What's the most popular email app for Treo?". Perhaps you could start a new Poll thread.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 12/19/2002 at 04:39 PM.
    IMO, there is no "best" e-mail program for the Treo for the simple reason everyone is looking for something slightly different (intermediate server vs. no intermediate server, robust attachment support vs. simple or no attachment support, IMAP vs. who cares, HTML stripping vs. who cares, sync delete vs. who cares, multiple mailbox support vs. who cares, etc., etc., etc.). My 2 cents worth.
    Since there are so many options, I recon I can afford the luxury of striking all except those with "excellent" treo support. That leaves 3. Don't like treomail's recurring annual payment so that leaves 2. Like the idea of attachments, that leaves one. Up till now, my data stays in my smartphone. The pc in my work area many people use so I wouldn't sync with it, even though there have been times I wanted to print out a database. With attachments, I could email a database to the pc I'm standing right next to (that doesn't have irda) and then pull up the databases for printing.
    David
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    That was talked about a bit on my sms_biff thread.

Yup. Eudora can do this too, but of course it goes to EudoraWeb. Since my preferred browser is Xiino, neither one really does what I want, but I'm content with just copying and pasting the URL.

Like I said above, just install AutoShift Hack or one of the two other equivalent hacks (AutoShift is the newest of the three, and seems to work perfectly on my Treo), plus a hack manager like the great, free X-Master. Nothing to it.
    So I've installed AutoShift and X-Master on my Treo in an attempt to get rid of the CAPS LOCK in Eudora but not sure how to make this happen - any advice?

thanks-
    In reading all of the posts to this thread, I am getting a little lost. Unfortunately, I am not as technical as some so I don't understand all of the script options, etc......Here's my dillema...I am using Eudora to get mail from my sprintpcs and yahoo accounts. It does a nice job if I connect via my laptop and/or do the check and send mail function. My question is, is there a way to use Eudora or something else to get SMS notifications of new mail to my yahoo or sprint accounts so that I know when to sync up to read the e-mail? I tried using the preferences on my sprint pcs website, but that doesn't seem to work. Does any of this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have another question about SMS messages...is there any way to see the messages that you send? Also, can you check the status of messages that you send?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by lynx:
    So I've installed AutoShift and X-Master on my Treo in an attempt to get rid of the CAPS LOCK in Eudora but not sure how to make this happen - any advice?
    If you've installed them properly, the problem should be gone. If you go into the X-Master app, is there a check mark by "AutoShift Hack"?

Originally posted by jquinn14:
    Unfortunately, I am not as technical as some so I don't understand all of the script options
    "Script options"?

My question is, is there a way to use Eudora or something else to get SMS notifications of new mail to my yahoo
    Unless Yahoo! has a special option for it somewhere (which I'd tend to doubt), there's no way to get SMS notification of Yahoo! messages unless you pay extra to get POP3 access to the account and then set up your Sprint email account to pull your Yahoo! messages (and even then, I'm not positive Sprint notifies you about those messages in addition to ones actually addressed to your Sprint account).

or sprint accounts so that I know when to sync up to read the e-mail? I tried using the preferences on my sprint pcs website, but that doesn't seem to work.
    So you went to PCS Mail: Settings & Preferences: Notification (that URL will probably only work if you paste it into a window where you've signed into your Sprint PCS account) and set "Notification by PCS Phone" to "All messages" then sent yourself an email at your Sprint account and your Treo 300 wasn't sent a "Check your PCS Mail!" SMS?

It works perfectly for me (just re-tested it right now)... Perhaps you tested it during one of Sprint's semi-frequent SMS outages?
    Well, just added a new mail client to my Treo Email Apps Buying Guide which I was previously unfamiliar with.

It's ZFrame, and is primarily a web browser. (An interesting one that navigates based on zoomed-out views of pages as they'd look rendered at desktop resolution by Internet Explorer.)

It also has a built-in mail component. I successfully used it to send mail. However, receiving and reading mail appears to utilize their web proxy, and it doesn't appear to be working, currently.

It looks like one to watch, though. Sprint is reportedly licensing their attachment support technology for use in Business Connection.

(BTW, moderators, feel free to move this thread to the Communications Software board, where it really belongs -- very little Treo 300 specific info here.)
    Classifying ZFrame as a mail client is really stretching the definition, IMO.
    Classifying ZFrame as a mail client is really stretching the definition, IMO.
    I disagree. When you compose a mail with it, you're typing on Palm OS data entry forms, not on a web page. You then hit Send and it goes off to an SMTP server (via proxy).

Also the application's "built-in POP3 mail client" seems to have significant portions existing as code on the Palm device, rather than existing solely as code on the HTTP proxy which constructs web pages that ZFrame browses.

The architecture seems to be similar to that of Gopher King, which people certainly consider to be a mail client.
    Being new and uninformed in the Palm / Treo community I didn't know that I was supposed to have a problem. I bought Documents to Go based on an article in a computer magazine that said the format on Word documents and Excel spreadsheets remained constant when transferred into and out of Documents to Go and when they went in and out of Pocket Word and Excel it stripped a lot of the formatting off of them. I knew that problem in the Windows CE world and wanted to avoid it - hence the almost immediate purchase of Documents to Go.

Then I realized that Inbox to Go didn't come with the package and bought it. Other than it not sending me e-mail for 15 minutes I don't really have any problem with it.

It would be nice however, to change the settings so that it would send mail every minute - as the desktop is just sitting her at home when I'm gone with nothing to do but transfer my incoming e-mail to the Treo.

As an aside, does anyone know how to change that time till next transfer setting ?

Thanks

RON
    I use KeyCapsHack to fix the shift lock problem with Eudora.

It allows you to disable the auto shift in programs. You can also use its other useful features, like holding or double-clicking to access blue keys and capital letters.

It won't fix the ... key problem though.
    Just found out about a mail application that wasn't mentioned in this thread, tapmail. I've added it to my buying guide.
    I've been using Tapmail on my Treo 300 for the past month. It is very good. I use FastMail as my ISP and am able to send mail and retrieve my Email via IMAP very quickly. Tapmail allows you send stuff from Memo Pad, To Do, Datebook and Address Book as a file attachment. SnapperMail is a good program but it is way overpriced and it currently does not support IMAP.

Tapmail is reasonably priced at $20.

I use Palm VNC Version 2.02 to send file attachments from my PC via my Treo 300. The most recent version is fast. It is also simple to download attachments via Palm VNC. Palm VNC is free and a small file. Am I missing something about this obsession with SnapperMail?
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast