Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 297
  1. #121  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    hopefully nonetheless people will find this buying guide useful.
    Extreemly impressive table. Which proggie are you thinking of for yourself? I'm leaning to try out snapper. I used palm eudora for 19 months on my 6035 with good success (chose to leave mail on server so I could delete it on desktop, didn't have to enter pw every time like your table indicates, but that was on a 6035, and used the conduit for syncing mail with desktop), but now I want something a bit snazzier w/treo rocker and keyb support.

    Desktop conduit is somewhat important imho. Can sync before going to bed and possibly reply to desktop received email while out and about when a spare moment presents itself.
    David
  2. #122  
    Originally posted by drw
    Extreemly impressive table.
    Danke schoen. Yesterday and today, while making my final decision on which client to use, I filled in several previously existing holes in the table.

    Which proggie are you thinking of for yourself? I'm leaning to try out snapper.
    Yeah, SnapperMail does look very promising, but it's useless to me until SSL encryption of POP and SMTP are added. I've been endeavoring to set up my Internet server so that no passwords need to be sent over the network in cleartext (HTTPS rather than HTTP for web logins, SSH rather than ftp and telnet, POP3S rather than POP3, and AUTH PLAIN only being offered over SMTPS and STARTTLS, not plain SMTP), and I've finally got it all working. Therefore, SnapperMail is out until they add SSL support (has been mentioned as a planned feature, IIRC).

    Eudora is the one of the only clients supporting SSL for POP and SMTP, and of those that do support it, it's the only one without an ongoing "usage fee", and the only one to support end-to-end SSL encryption (meaning you don't expose your passwords and email content to a proxy server). Therefore, though Eudora is bettered in some areas by other clients, it's my only choice for now.

    I used palm eudora for 19 months on my 6035 with good success (chose to leave mail on server so I could delete it on desktop, didn't have to enter pw every time like your table indicates, but that was on a 6035,
    Actually, what my table says is:
    password needs to be entered on every single connect (and there's no masking on entry) or remembered until manually forgotten
    In other words, there's no way to just remember a password for the current "session" (e.g. until you switch programs), as most desktop mail clients can do. It's either "don't remember it at all" or "remember it forever" (until manually forgotten).

    and used the conduit for syncing mail with desktop), but now I want something a bit snazzier w/treo rocker and keyb support.
    In Eudora, the Rocker/Volume Switch behaves the same as the Up/Down buttons -- it just scrolls. There's no dedicated support for the Treo keyboard, but it works without any snags as long as you have AutoShift Hack (or one of its competitors) installed, something that's necessary for some other applications as well, such as HanDBase.

    Desktop conduit is somewhat important imho. Can sync before going to bed and possibly reply to desktop received email while out and about when a spare moment presents itself.
    That feature is of no interest to me, because my main mail client is nmh, a UNIX commandline mail client I use on the server itself.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 12/06/2002 at 12:47 PM.
  3. #123  
    Cool Dan, I'll stick with Eudora. I always listen to people that do their homework. Thanks for putting in the time. I'm sure everybody appreciates it.
  4. #124  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Yeah, SnapperMail does look very promising, but it's useless to me until SSL encryption of POP and SMTP are added. I've been endeavoring to set up my Internet server so that no passwords need to be sent over the network in cleartext (HTTPS rather than HTTP for web logins, SSH rather than ftp and telnet, POP3S rather than POP3, and AUTH PLAIN only being offered over SMTPS and STARTTLS, not plain SMTP), and I've finally got it all working. Therefore, SnapperMail is out until they add SSL support (has been mentioned as a planned feature, IIRC).

    Eudora is the one of the only clients supporting SSL for POP and SMTP, and of those that do support it, it's the only one without an ongoing "usage fee", and the only one to support end-to-end SSL encryption (meaning you don't expose your passwords and email content to a proxy server). Therefore, though Eudora is bettered in some areas by other clients, it's my only choice for now.

    Dan thanks to your table I went and tried a couple more email program but have decided to stick with Eudora. I thought I needed auto-check of email but as others on this board pointed out it is a battery drain. Plus another person posted a tip (can't remember who) to have your email forwarded (server side) to SMS for notification.

    That is my solution for now and it works great. I get a new SMS when an email cones in and if it looks important or I have time to read it at the moment, I launch Eudora and read the whole think. Plus another nice thing about SMS is that if there is a URL in the beginning of the message, you can jump right to the Web page in Blazer! Was I surprised! I just use this for personal email as my business account would overload SMS. Plus the Sprint Business Connection setup if working just great for my work stuff (just wish they supported attachments).

    Anyway thanks for the good advice on the SSL support by Eudora above. For my personal email I think I will hang on to Eudora until I am fed up with the CAPS LOCK STICKING and shell out my hard earned ca$h for the far superior (IMHO) and much more fun to use SnapperMail app.
  5. #125  
    Originally posted by dspinelli
    Plus another person posted a tip (can't remember who) to have your email forwarded (server side) to SMS for notification.
    That was talked about a bit on my sms_biff thread.

    Plus another nice thing about SMS is that if there is a URL in the beginning of the message, you can jump right to the Web page in Blazer!
    Yup. Eudora can do this too, but of course it goes to EudoraWeb. Since my preferred browser is Xiino, neither one really does what I want, but I'm content with just copying and pasting the URL.

    For my personal email I think I will hang on to Eudora until I am fed up with the CAPS LOCK STICKING
    Like I said above, just install AutoShift Hack or one of the two other equivalent hacks (AutoShift is the newest of the three, and seems to work perfectly on my Treo), plus a hack manager like the great, free X-Master. Nothing to it.
  6. #126  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Since my preferred browser is Xiino
    Just out of curiosity, why?

    Thanks,
    Tommy
  7. #127  
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    Just out of curiosity, why?

    Thanks,
    Tommy
    Plenty of other threads tell the full story, but it's simply the most powerful and most capable.
  8. #128  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    There's no dedicated support for the Treo keyboard, but it works without any snags as long as you have AutoShift Hack (or one of its competitors) installed, something that's necessary for some other applications as well, such as HanDBase.
    Crap. I spoke too soon. I had tested the ListType ("...") key in email headers, but didn't notice until today while trying to type an underscore that it doesn't work in message bodies. You just get the stupid:

    ListType Key

    This key lets you enter accents and symbols not shown on the keyboard.

    Tap Keyboard in the Applications Launcher for details.
    popup that you would usually only get if you typed the key following a key it was inappropriate to type it after.

    Guess that unlike in the headers, QUALCOMM used non-standard Palm OS APIs to handle text entry in the message body (probably due to that "smooth scrolling" it does). Same deal as with Mocha Pocket Telnet.

    Luckily, like Pocket Telnet, there is a workaround. Three, in fact. You can type special characters in a header then cut & paste them into the body, use the onscreen Keyboard, or use RecoEcho+ (if you've picked up your free copy from Handspring).

    All three workarounds kind of stink, though. Since there apparently isn't much hope of QUALCOMM putting out a new version, I hope another Palm OS mail client adds (true) SMTPS/STARTTLS and POP3S support before too long. As far as I can tell, Pocket Outlook doesn't appear to have SSL support, so switching over to the dark side (e.g. once Sprint brings out the Samsung SPH-i700) doesn't appear to be an alternative (unless there's a 3rd-party email program for PocketPC Phone Edition that does SSL).
  9. #129  
    That is a great resource.

    By the way, Snappermail supports multiple accounts very well.
  10. #130  
    Originally posted by Preston
    That is a great resource.
    Glad you like it.

    By the way, Snappermail supports multiple accounts very well.
    Thanks. I updated my table with this.
  11. #131  
    Originally posted by Preston
    That is a great resource.
    Glad you like it.

    By the way, Snappermail supports multiple accounts very well.
    Thanks. I updated my table with this.
  12. #132  
    Sorry about the duplicate post. I swear I only hit "Submit Reply" once. It hung for a couple of minutes, during which I did stuff in other windows, then finally came back and there were two copies of the post.

    I tried to delete the second one, but it won't let me. It gives me a bogus:

    You do not have permission to access this page.
    Some screwiness with the discussion board software...
  13. #133  
    Anyone know of a good POP3 email client that has been localized in either French or German?
  14. RalphF's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #134  
    I tried basejet - I couldn't figure out how to use it!! Seemed there is something there that is more than just setting up an account and checking mail - I don't know, I just didn't get it.

    I tried Eudora and that crashed several times so I gave up on that.

    I have a Treo 300.

    I tried Snappermail and that worked, was easy to setup, etc. so I am using that for now - still looking at other email clients...
  15. #135  
    I like snappermail. the latest revision now includes timed automatic polling of your pop accounts. Not quite push mail, but I'll take it.
  16. #136  
    Originally posted by RalphF
    I tried basejet - I couldn't figure out how to use it!! Seemed there is something there that is more than just setting up an account and checking mail - I don't know, I just didn't get it.

    I tried Eudora and that crashed several times so I gave up on that.

    I have a Treo 300.

    I tried Snappermail and that worked, was easy to setup, etc. so I am using that for now - still looking at other email clients...
    Check out 2bAnywhere, also in beta right now but looks very promising!

    http://www.2banywhere.com/welcome.htm
  17. #137  
    Originally posted by RalphF:
    I tried Eudora and that crashed several times so I gave up on that.
    Really? Weird. Never heard of Eudora crashing, and it's been flawlessly stable for me, despite my use of STARTTLS, SMTPS, POP3S, etc. Would you say you were trying to do anything unusual with it? Or do you have any Hacks installed on your Treo? (I just have AutoShift Hack.) Any idea what POP3 software your server is running? (Maybe a particular server doesn't play well with Eudora.)


    Originally posted by starrwulfe:
    I like snappermail. the latest revision now includes timed automatic polling of your pop accounts. Not quite push mail, but I'll take it.
    Ah, 1.4.0b is out now, eh? Cool, I've updated my buying guide.
  18. #138  
    Originally posted by RalphF
    I tried Eudora and that crashed several times so I gave up on that.

    I have a Treo 300.

    I tried Snappermail and that worked, was easy to setup, etc. so I am using that for now - still looking at other email clients...
    I've been using Eudora for years without problems.
    I bought a Treo 300 in Sept. Been working on it too.

    Since it appears to be in a 'static' state I am giving SnapperMail a try. Looks like down the road it'll be a good replacement for Eudora. I understand that SSL is included in PalmOS 5. I'd like the attachments to work, but that part will be difficult until there is a solution for the 'Sprint CAB file' issues.

    Anyone know of a CAB file viewer for the Treo/Palm?
  19. RalphF's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #139  
    What is the SprintPCS CAB file issue?
  20. #140  
    Originally posted by millerhifi:
    Check out 2bAnywhere, also in beta right now but looks very promising!

    http://www.2banywhere.com/welcome.htm
    Yeesh, yet another client, eh? Okay, just updated my guide with it and some other updated info on various clients. As an aside, that's the first time I've seen a website with a link to a version in Hebrew. Pretty trippy.


    Originally posted by manorton:
    I understand that SSL is included in PalmOS 5.
    Oh, as part of the OS itself? Cool. That should definitely get SSL support to be more widespread in Palm OS 5 apps. Of course when we'll have a Treo with Palm OS 5 is another question...

    I'd like the attachments to work, but that part will be difficult until there is a solution for the 'Sprint CAB file' issues.
    I'm not familiar with this issue. Does the Sprint mail server repackage attachments in received mails into Windows .CAB format or something??
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions