Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Now if you could just add schedules...
    You know what they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I love Snappermail, I just put the latest public beta on this morning. But now that I've read what you posted, I'm concerned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    After thinking about it more, I also want:

ability to check mail by pressing down the hard button

full jog dial support and onscreen buttons for commands that can be activated by the jog dial

Now that's really it
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just release SnapperMail v1.1.2b which has these 2 points covered
    I keep my Treo in my pocket, all day. I really don't want the unit to be connecting and attempting to retreive mail everytime I bend over and the button gets accidently pushed. Is there a way to disable this feature, or make it only available when the lid is open?

Dunc
    You know what they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I love Snappermail, I just put the latest public beta on this morning. But now that I've read what you posted, I'm concerned.

Originally posted by alex_t_king
    After thinking about it more, I also want:

ability to check mail by pressing down the hard button

full jog dial support and onscreen buttons for commands that can be activated by the jog dial

Now that's really it

I keep my Treo in my pocket, all day. I really don't want the unit to be connecting and attempting to retreive mail everytime I bend over and the button gets accidently pushed. Is there a way to disable this feature, or make it only available when the lid is open?

Dunc
    You can disable hardware button fetch by not mapping SnapperMail to a hardware button.

What I'd do in you situation is to EasyLaunch Hack (free) and configure SnapperMail to a Long Hold on the mail button. Or evern safer, a unlikely sequence of buttons. Say Mail followed by address.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Any idea if Snappermail connects properly to MSN's POP3 server? All of the other email apps I've downloaded (Aileron, Treomail, Marksmith) aren't able to pull from my pop3 account, even though Business Connect has no problem when I set up the Pop3 account in my Outlook. This will determine whether or not I fork over money for an email app.
    Originally posted by snapperfish

-W
    I was very pleased with the ability to check mail from the hard button, however I wasn't able to use the jog dial to move from button to button on the screen (Done, Reply, Fwd, Trash, etc.) - would it be possible to put these in the "tab order" after the end of a message is reached (nothing else to scroll to)?
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    wonder why Sprint Business Connection hasn't come up in this thread (unless I missed it as surf here on my Treo). I like it a lot, and I've tried almost all the programs mentioned thus far. Maybe the difference is that I need the Exchange redirector - ? (but TreoMail does that, so....)
  8. wwo
    I've been trying to send mail to friends at mac.com and aol.com and i get : 550 relaying mail to mac.com is not allowed.
    does this mean i can only sent e-mail to certain servers/accounts??
    The issue isn't the mail client, it's your mail server. You're not using authenticated SMTP so they won't let you relay (it's an anti-spam tactic).

Just installed snappermail in my quest to find an Email Client That Doesn't Suck On The Treo. Looks promising (although I won't be absolutely delighted until IMAP-4 support is in).

After evaluating a LOT of products, I've figured out that my "gotta have" features are:

o Doesn't poke me in the eye with a sharp stick (Eudora's CAPS LOCK problem does this, as does the way TreoMail marks all my server mail "read" whether I've read it or not).

o Actually syncs my email instead of just downloading new stuff; deletions on the server should be reflected on the handheld, as well (Eudora fails here, too). If I delete 100 spams on my server, I shouldn't have to go delete them on my Treo, too.

o Supports multiple accounts (TreoMail and Basejet fail here).

o Supports SMTP Auth (OneTouch 2.3 fails).

o Is GRPS-friendly (doesn't insist on disconnecting the modem when you're done - One Touch 4.0 and Aileron fail here).

I think all of these features are reasonably basic and easy, and yet of all the mail programs I've looked at (many of which have spent a lot of time on other, much more complicated things), only Mark/Space mail has all four of those features, and that's what I've been using. My main complaint with it is that it's not really "Treoish" and I feel like it makes some things harder than they have to be. Which brings me to my secondary list of features I'd *really really* like to have but don't consider completely essential:

o Does IMAP, and ideally SIMAP. I'm looking forward to this going into SnapperMail.

o Treo-friendly navigation and use. This is defined as "A user interface that neither assumes you have a stylus in your hand nor requires you to touch the screen." Snappermail is closest on this, allowing you to navigate your inbox with the jog dial, but I still have to tap the screen to switch between fields when composing an email. Similarly, the ideal app will, as Snappermail, Basejet and Treomail do, work well with the Treo's flip-top so that I can, for example, start a download, close the top and put it in my pocket, or send a mail and not have to stand there with my Treo open while it connects.

o Ideally some sort of "push" notification method of new mail (BaseJet's SMS-setup is a novel idea). Failing that, some sort of intelligent scheduled checking and notification by vibrating or beeping. Note that checking which doesn't allow me to say, "Don't check at 2 AM" doesn't count as intelligent. Even worse is Mark/Space mail's, which will knock you off phone calls, and, if it encounters a communications error (say, no coverage), will leave the screen on until you hit OK, which drains your battery completely if you don't happen to look at it for a couple of hours.

o Easy mail checking, especially in the absence of automated mail checking. Really easy mail checking is defined as me not having to touch the screen (either the hard button push, or a menu shortcut I can hit with the keyboard). Moderately easy mail checking is hitting a button on the screen. Not easy mail checking is making me select some options (which almost never change) and then hit "ok" before you check mail.

o And, heck, while I'm at it, HTML and attachment-handling are nice. But I can live without them; I'd much rather have IMAP.

Anyway, I'm very optimistic about SnapperMail. With a little tweaking of the Treo support, SIMAP and scheduled mail checks, it'd be ideal. Even without scheduled checks, it'd be so close I'd be willing to forgive that.
    One comment: Aileron (with the latest upgrade) does NOT disconnect my data service (I use Sprint's 1xRTT service...I assume GPRS will work the same) after sending/receiving email.
    Huh. I downloaded and installed Aileron's demo this morning, and while it doesn't disconnect after it checks, when I exit it, it always disconnects on GPRS.
    Send an email to their customer service, telling them the problem. They can send you an update that fixes it. They got back to me w/i 24 hours.
    Great post ... but ...

Originally posted by the_quark

o Is GRPS-friendly (doesn't insist on disconnecting the modem when you're done - One Touch 4.0 and Aileron fail here).
    I downloaded the SnapperMail demo and couldn't find an option to tell it *TO* disconnect when done checking. When I'm on dial-up I'd like to be able to start checking mail (preferably using only the jog-dial) and then stick the treo in my pocket. Sometime later I can pull it out and see what the result was. Disconnecting can save me a lot of money in between if I get distracted before looking back at it.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    go to Options/Preferences and check Disconnect after Send/Fetch.

At least that is where it is in v1.1.2b
    Originally posted by hesspaul
    Great post ... but ...

I downloaded the SnapperMail demo and couldn't find an option to tell it *TO* disconnect when done checking.
    I have the demo, it is under options, preferences, and make sure the box "disconnect after send/fetch" is checked.
    I installed & tested ... the problem with errors & incoming SMS has been fixed. Other than that, just some fine-tuning and bug fixes. SnapperMail now has a "dedicated" Treo web page, which tells me they will continue to refine this app. for Treo users:

http://www.snappermail.com/palm/email/treo.cfm
    the_quark - -

Have you tried Sprint's Business Connection software? Your post above listing your requirements was indeed a good one, and I'm curious if you've put BizConn through its paces? It does have some failings:
    1. No attachment support - rumored to be coming
    2. Fetching (syncing, really) mail requires lid to be opened - but note that reading mail and scrolling thru inbox does not
    3. The desktop aspect with Exchange can be little....flaky at times

What I like best is the push function, where mail just flies onto the Treo as it hits my Outlook inbox.

For the most part, I really like it. I'm giving SnapperMail a serious look, altho it's not apparent to me that it has Outlook support, nor are the attachments handled well, from what I can tell (might be wrong, since I've never actually USED it).

Just want some thoughts on Business Connection, if it applies to you.
    nrosser, so where did you hear about attachment support coming for BizConn on the Treo? And when is it supposed to arrive?
    well - I work for a company that does business with Sprint, and I know some folks in the messaging group - they have hinted that attachments will be supported, but have not given me any definites. So no way to know about the timing, and certainly no way to tell how they'll roll out such a product - no doubt taking something that works well on its own, and clunking it up to meet their internal 'standards'. We'll see.
    Version 1.2.2b or later fixes the SMS issue. We haven't release it publically in trial form yet (just to registered users right now). The trial will be out in a day.

-W

Originally posted by fgkay
    I installed & tested ... the problem with errors & incoming SMS has been fixed. Other than that, just some fine-tuning and bug fixes. SnapperMail now has a "dedicated" Treo web page, which tells me they will continue to refine this app. for Treo users:

http://www.snappermail.com/palm/email/treo.cfm
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast