Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
    No, Scott, I don't do anything special with my desktop or with my Desktop Outlook Express Email Program. Set up and Installation took a couple of minutes on XP Professional. The Palm VNC file is 43K. I leave the WinVNC server on all the time in App. Mode in my System Tray. I have a Roadrunner Cable Connection. It takes about 5 seconds to connect to my desktop via PalmVNC. About 15 seconds to scroll up to the Mail Icon on a web page and retrieve my mail.

I find the newest version of VNC(2.01) to be a pleasure to use. It is quite compatible with the Treo 300 keyboard and I find it to be much faster on the Vision Network than when I used it previously going 14.4 via my cell phone. There are no issues for me. It is very simple for me to send and read my Emails.

I like the idea of having access to all my PC files on my Treo. As a mobile professional, I don't like being tied down to my home or office. And I don't like being told what programs I have to use in order to download file attachments.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    No, Scott, I don't do anything special with my desktop or with my Desktop Outlook Express Email Program. Set up and Installation took a couple of minutes on XP Professional. The Palm VNC file is 43K. I leave the WinVNC server on all the time in App. Mode in my System Tray. I have a Roadrunner Cable Connection. It takes about 5 seconds to connect to my desktop via PalmVNC. About 15 seconds to scroll up to the Mail Icon on a web page and retrieve my mail.
    Thanks. It's hard for me to picture it, though, without seeing some screen shots. It sounds like it would be frustrating to use having to constantly scroll all over the place. What about when you're reading a message? Do you have to scroll right and left to read a message?

Scott
    rarebird, I'm curious do you use any sort of hardware or software firewall?
    No, Scott, it is not frustrating at all. Scrolling runs very smoothly and quickly on the newest version of Palm VNC.

It doesn't cost anything to try Palm VNC on your Treo. I'm glad I did before I spent my money on SnapperMail.
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Dunno. It's not a hard thing to implment so that's good.

1.6 is gonna have huge improvements. We hope to roll it in then but if it misses the boat then 1.7.

About 5-6 weeks per 0.1 increment right now.

Of course if you're a registered user, you get access to the bleeding edge betas in the private download area - so maybe earlier for them.

-W
    Still look like 1.7 will have the Sync feature?
    I too have been successful with Palm VNC and WinVNC... except when I run my company's VPN. When that happens I cannot connect via the VNC.

Any ideas?

BTW, I use an IPsec style VPN.

Thanks,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quick thanks to all that posted in this thread. I just installed the free Eudora client with the AutoShift Hack this evening on my Treo 300. Although it lacks some features like attachment viewing, etc, it will serve most of my needs just fine - for now at least! Installation and configuration couldn't be easier.

Thanks again,
    Darius

:menu:
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    After six months of flawless performance I highly recommend using fastmail.fm, setting its preferences to pickup mail from any pop server, and then sending it to your Treo every 15 minutes. I have four email systems all consolidated into one fastmail account that is sent to my treo routinely. Its cheap, its great, it works both on the the PC and the Treo, IMAP on the PC if you choose etc.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I've only been using Fastmail for a couple of weeks, but I absolutely agree. Routing all my mail through my fastmail account makes it easy via imap to keep my mail synchronized across two desktops, one laptop, and my Treo. Plus Fastmail's spam filter works very well, and it's easy to set up rules to direct email into different folders depending on source, account, content, etc. One result is that almost all the junk mail gets cut off at the pass and never downloads to the Treo.
    holy resurrection of old threads, batman!
    Great Avatar!
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb View Post
    I do know that I can set http://www.markspace.com/ to check every 3 minutes and beep when I get an email.
    Every three minutes? are you that important?
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
    For some people it is ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ymeagle View Post
    Every three minutes? are you that important?
    Polling every 3 minutes? That's nuts how many minutes does your battery last? I remember polling with SnapperMail, ages ago with my 300. But then I saw the light - I moved to ChatterMail and discovered IDLE! Polling is so POP3. DIscover IMAP, leverage IDLE, get a real email client, use Chatter!

Dunc
    for me chatter is the best by far
    I thought I might resurrect this ancient thread to maybe goad Marc to port Chatter to WM? Yeah maybe not, but its worth at least a shot huh?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'd buy again.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415