Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    You need AcidImage version 2.4n or later from this page:
    http://www.red-mercury.com/aibe.html

For corporate access, you may like to consider VPN access if it's available to you from your company. www.mergic.com make a nice VPN client that works well with Snapper.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    AcidImage:
    Takes a little time to find the beta, but it works with Snappermail.
    http://www.red-mercury.com/aibe.html

As does the RecoEcho+ from the Handspring website (Treo300 software downloads page).
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...tProducts=4417

Happy Email Trails yall!
    Will - your too fast on the draw - got those URLs out there right about the time I found and posted them.

Corp uses a VPN client now for laptops, however they're going to Exchange2000 and Webmail2000 for everyone (doing away with POP mail). Part of "one-login ID for everything" movement, but it'll require SSL to access the Exchange server backend (as a POP client).

I'll take a look at the VPN client you mentioned. Not sure how it would work unless they support on the backend, unless it will exchange certificates with the Corp VPN gateway. Until then, I'll forward to Roadrunner and access from anywhere on anything.

Thanks again for your help. All is working now - just need to order everything to make it official before traveling this week.
    Why one would dish out money for an Email program when one can easily access ones PC via Palm VNC version 2.01 (which is free) on the Treo and easily send Email and File Attachments, as well as read ones Email is beyond me.

The newest version of Palm VNC goes at the same speed as Sprint's Network.

SnapperMail is inferior to Palm VNC and costs money.

What advantage does SnapperMail have over Palm VNC?
    I think you are trolling.
    I have tried Palm VNC and just how does it compare to Snappermail?
    How does it compare? There is no comparison. Palm VNC (version 2.0) allows you to access your PC and all your files therein on your Treo. Who needs an Email program like Snappermail to get all your mail when you can go into your mail program directly and get it yourself for free?
    Maybe because using VNC is clunky and slow and eats a lot of data. Not everyone is on unlimited data with Sprint.
    The newest version of Palm VNC, 2.01, as put out by Olivier GERARDIN, (not by Harakan software) is NOT slow or clunky. It is as fast as the Blazer Browser and faster than SnapperMail.

It doesn't take long for me to check my Mail with VNC. A couple of minutes.
    I agree, I think $70 is way too much for a Palm application. I once paid $35 for Multimail and was never happy with the product and updates were promised that never happened, it crashed on me a lot, etc.

At any rate, I thinkg $35 for the program is a decent deal, but I wouldn't buy a program without the ability to d/l future upgrades.

I honestly think your company would sell more then twice as many products if you cut the price in half (thus increasing your profits).
    rarebird,

There is no comparison, because the two can't be compared. You have found a way to access your email that works for you. Others might not have "always on" connections to access their home computers, or they have dynamic IPs and don't want the hassle.

You are making a very bold statement without taking into consideration all the different needs of people.

You say it takes you a few minutes to check your email, yet Snappermail will go and poll your email, no user interaction required, in seconds. Plus it handles attachments, so apps, pictures, documents etc can be transferred to your Treo.
    Originally posted by BrianV
    I agree, I think $70 is way too much for a Palm application. I once paid $35 for Multimail and was never happy with the product and updates were promised that never happened, it crashed on me a lot, etc.

At any rate, I thinkg $35 for the program is a decent deal, but I wouldn't buy a program without the ability to d/l future upgrades.

I honestly think your company would sell more then twice as many products if you cut the price in half (thus increasing your profits).
    SnapperMail costs $35. If you never want to pay for an upgrade again, pay $70. I don't think that this is unreasonable. How many other companies offer you the opportunity to purchase lifetime upgrades? How much have you spent on say Microsoft Office upgrades? If they said, pay us $800 now or pay us $400 now and $200 per year, which is the better deal?

With the rapid development of SnapperMail, I'd expect to see at least one pay for upgrade this year and one next year. So if you guess that they'll charge $17.50 (half price) for each upgrade, then the $70 deal has already paid for itself next year.

Free upgrades are a luxury and more companies aren't doing them because it just isn't economical.
    Originally posted by BrianV

SnapperMail is $35. Anyone who's bought the package has been happy with the free updates so far - they've been getting what has been promised. We've issued more than 6 updates in 5 months. None of our customers are complaining.

Selling 2x as much for 1/2 the price doesn't increase profits - it increases our support overheads while keeping revenue exactly the same.

Just my 2 cents. (no pun intended)

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Appleman, I agree that if you don't have an always on PC connection via DSL or Cable, then Email programs like SnapperMail is the way to go.

My point is that if you do have an always on connection, then Palm VNC, version 2.01, does just about everything that Email Programs like SnapperMail does and a lot more for FREE.
    I'd like to try Palm VNC at some point. I figured it would be slow, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think a standalone app works better, because it's designed for the Palm-sized screen and should offer better speed. Also, some user can't (or don't want to) have a desktop computer turned on all of the time.

That said, I don't think it's out of line for rarebird to bring up Palm VNC in this thread as an alternative to a traditional standalone email program.

rarebird, do you do anything special with your desktop in order to navigate and view messages easily? I would think you'd be forever scrolling around the screen just to get to the scroll bars, etc. Do you resize your Outlook Express (or whatever mail app) to be 160x160? I can't imagine that would work, though, because the buttons and menu bar would end up taking up too much space. Perhaps you could post some screenshots of how this looks for you.

Scott
    Originally posted by rarebird
    The newest version of Palm VNC, 2.01, as put out by Olivier GERARDIN, (not by Harakan software) is NOT slow or clunky. It is as fast as the Blazer Browser and faster than SnapperMail.

It doesn't take long for me to check my Mail with VNC. A couple of minutes.
    The utility of Palm VNC aside, I'm curious if you have to dial outside of Sprints web access to utilize this. If so, does Sprint charge wireless web minutes on top of the $10 all you can Vision service plan. If so, sounds kind of pricey.
    Originally posted by treo007

The utility of Palm VNC aside, I'm curious if you have to dial outside of Sprints web access to utilize this. If so, does Sprint charge wireless web minutes on top of the $10 all you can Vision service plan. If so, sounds kind of pricey.
    No, your Treo has access to the Internet, your computer is on the Internet. You are using Vision.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    Why one would dish out money for an Email program when one can easily access ones PC via Palm VNC version 2.01 (which is free) on the Treo and easily send Email and File Attachments, as well as read ones Email is beyond me.

The newest version of Palm VNC goes at the same speed as Sprint's Network.

SnapperMail is inferior to Palm VNC and costs money.

What advantage does SnapperMail have over Palm VNC?
    Easy answer to this - I travel a lot, thus my laptop "goes with me" and I'm frequently on dial-up only connections. I just spent the last two days traveling, and with Snappermail I got all of my emails (84 alone yesterday), and attachments, and left the laptop in it's case the entire trip. With Sprint's Business Connection (which I tried for a day), you have to have a "base station" always connected and running Outlook. This is not an acceptable solution to a lot of people that don't use dedicated desktops with high-speed access. Not to mention the potential for hacking that leaving yourself open to remote access presents.

I'll stick to SnapperMail.
    I just downloaded snapper mail trial...seems to work ok. However I emailed myself a word attachement and it will only allow me to open it with quick word, not documents to go which I have purchased.

Anyway around this?

Also, the reason I have not previously purchased an email client is that they all seem to want you to pay a yearly subscription fee.

If snapper mail doesn't require a yearly fee I'd be more inclined to purchase it.

Also, can you save the attachments in the treo or are they always part of the email message.

Thanks
    Originally posted by coreysapp
    I just downloaded snapper mail trial...seems to work ok. However I emailed myself a word attachement and it will only allow me to open it with quick word, not documents to go which I have purchased.

Anyway around this?
    Did you email the attachment as a .doc file or as a DTG formatted file? If the former, DTG's current version doesn't support reading in native .doc format, only QuickWord does. I think that the latter situation should work though.

Also, the reason I have not previously purchased an email client is that they all seem to want you to pay a yearly subscription fee.

If snapper mail doesn't require a yearly fee I'd be more inclined to purchase it.
    I had the same issue. SnapperMail doesn't require an annual subscription.

Also, can you save the attachments in the treo or are they always part of the email message.
    The Palm OS only "officially" recognizes .pdb and .prc files. But if you get an attachment that is in a format used by a Palm OS program, it should be able to "save" it. I was happy to see that the .JPG file I emailed myself could be pulled out of my email and "saved" with in JPEGWatchLite's "directory" so that I could delete the email and keep the picture.

Scott