Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
    Dunno. It's not a hard thing to implment so that's good.

1.6 is gonna have huge improvements. We hope to roll it in then but if it misses the boat then 1.7.

About 5-6 weeks per 0.1 increment right now.

Of course if you're a registered user, you get access to the bleeding edge betas in the private download area - so maybe earlier for them.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    .. not that it really matters since I have Vagabond installed.
    You know there is a 1.0 release (non-beta) of Vagabond now. I go to http://www.openmobility.org to get it. It supports programmatically launching with a URL, though it does it rather retardedly and didn't follow the Palm standard sysAppLaunchCmdGoToURL launch. Instead you give a cmdPBP with a sysAppLaunchCmdNormalLaunch.

Anyways I added some support and it's nice. Though ironically, the visorcentral discussion forum emails seem to tickle a bug on their server -- and it nullifies the paginating effect. Ahhh!! I can never win.

Try this link from your Vagabond:
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...0&goto=newpost

Vagabond is supposed to paginate to your Clip Size, but with the above link it just goes until it overflows.
    I have been using Eudora since I got my Treo 300 back in August. It has been an excellent email program for me, and best of all, it was FREE!!! This discussion convinced me to consider other email software and I have been using Snappermail for about a week now.

Although I did not like the idea of paying for an email client when eudora's was free (also I think Handspring should include one with the phone), I liked the periodic polling and the attachment handling capabilities of Snappermail. The only way I could justify the cost to myself was if I were to buy the "free upgrades" package and be done with it. So this morning, I made my way over to the Snappermail web site to do just that, and BAM! I see that the price for the lifetime upgrades package has been raised up to $70!!! I think it was $55 when I downloaded the trail version.

So now I am back to considering other email aplications. I am considering Treo Mail, Mark/Space, and Mailer by Electric Pocket. I don't like the fact that Handspring wants to charge an annual fee for their service, so that is not likely an option. Does anyone have any comments on Mark/Space or Mailer by Electric Pocket?
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Thought I'd jump in with an off-recent-topic/on-general-topic post.

We're about to release this week SnapperMail with handwritten notes support via Diddlebug. I wanted to support sending scribble notes in OS 3.5 Treos like Tungsten T guys get for free with their NotePad app.

Standby... It's all working. You get to send notes in PNG format which can be opened by just about any desktop (usually by a image viewer or Internet Explorer).

An early peek can be found in the files section of our Yahoo forum:
    www.snappermail.com/forum/

Other updates:
    We've got BMP and GIF support via the latest beta of AcidImage. SplashPhoto now supports SnapperMail JPGs. Quicksheet 6 supports CSV.

Looking to release the next version 1.5.1 on Thursday.

-W
    Thanks for the details on this release, Will. That made it easy to update my buying guide.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Thanks for the details on this release, Will. That made it easy to update my buying guide.
    Ooops, I didn't post that we've released 1.5.1 - big news for it is not so much SM but the all new Quickoffice Premier which finally brings home the holy grail:

Quickword Premier -> Text, HTML, MS Word!!!
    Quicksheet Premier -> CSV, Excel!!!!
    Quickpoint Premier -> PowerPoint

We're now offering a free trial of QOPremier with the Snapper download.

1.5.1 takes SnapperMail out of "Beta", we're in full release (and super-duper stable I might add).

Stay tuned for the Diddlebug release this week.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

Originally posted by cfsully
    So now I am back to considering other email aplications. I am considering Treo Mail, Mark/Space, and Mailer by Electric Pocket. I don't like the fact that Handspring wants to charge an annual fee for their service, so that is not likely an option. Does anyone have any comments on Mark/Space or Mailer by Electric Pocket?
    I haven't tried Mailer. I did try Mark/Space recently. For whatever reason, it crashed my Treo 300 within about 10 minutes of using it, but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it, as it may have just been a fluke. One of my top requirements was having a two-line display in the message list mode. IOW, the Subject line gets one line and the author gets its own line, with the date squeezed at the end of one of those two lines. The programs that I'm aware that do this are Mark/Space, Treo Mail, SnapperMail, and one or two others. I ended up buying SnapperMail but opted for the standard package (no unlimited upgrades) because I was buying two copies (one for my wife's Treo) and also because even the standard package looks to include a few upcoming upgrades (I think filters, folders, HTML).

I'm not super-thrilled with the way that the finger navigation mode works. Specifically, I'd rather have it in stylus-mode all the time, but for some reason the stylus mode doesn't use the two-line display mode that I like, so I have to use finger-mode all the time, even though I use it with my stylus. I sent Will some feedback about this but I'm not sure if he understood what my concern was (or perhaps just disagreed). I'll probably post my thoughts about this on SnapperMail's Yahoo forum and see if others agree. I wouldn't expect him to expend any effort on something that only I think is a good idea.

Scott
    Scott R-

I actually agree with you. I like the finger mode where I can view two lines on the message list view, but prefer stylus mode for reading the individual messages. I would love the choice on the message list of one line or two, regardless of which mode I am using. Will - are you listening?

Doug
    Originally posted by dougef
    Scott R-

I actually agree with you. I like the finger mode where I can view two lines on the message list view, but prefer stylus mode for reading the individual messages. I would love the choice on the message list of one line or two, regardless of which mode I am using. Will - are you listening?

Doug
    Doug, I'm glad to see you agree. Interestingly enough, about two days after I sent my feedback to Will, InfoSync posted a review of SnapperMail where the reviewer made the same recommendation. SnapperMail is an excellent program and this is definitely more of a nit-picky thing, IMO, simply because I can leave it in finger nav mode and, although I don't like the fat scroll bar and oversized fonts in the pop-ups, I can live with them if I have to. But I'd rather not have to.

Right now, though, my bigger problem is getting periodic fetch to work. I sent Will an email about this just today, but I'm mentioning it here in case anyone else has had this problem or knows of a solution. This is such a fundamental feature that I'm guessing that either it's a temporary bug in this release or that there's something I'm doing wrong (or another app that's interfering).

Scott
    I am going to stay put with Eudora for now. Had I bought the lifetime upgrades last week, I would have gone with SnapperMail. But what was a hard decision became an imossible one when Will raised the price. Eudora has a reasonable product for what I am doing. I can not see spending the $70 when Eudora is free.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Just for anyone reading here's the known list of conflicts:

* TrafficStat (v3.0) - unable to send and receive (mac.com?)
    * Jot / WordComplete - prevents periodic fetching
    * RechoEcho - prevents periodic fetching

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

Will beat me by about 1 minute. He gave me a list of apps that might be interfering with the periodic fetch and, after a series of tests which I just finished running, I confirmed that the problem seems to have been with RecoEcho+. Interestingly enough, it looks like just having RecoEcho+ installed (even if it was deactivated) caused the problem. FWIW, Will originally thought that KeyCapsHack might have been a problem as well. I'm happy to report that this is not the case and KeyCapsHack works fine with SnapperMail.

Kudos to Will (SnapperMail) for his wonderful responsiveness.

Scott
    I've been using Eudora since getting the T300, until today. Downloaded Snappermail - worth the money via my eval so far, however seeing that it conflicts with RechoEcho is a problem since I REALLY like writing graffiti style - much faster than the kbd.
    Gotta have those periodic downloads - otherwise it's too much all at once (about 80 emails a day). Question - anyway to limit attachments by size, so as not to use up all the memory on the Treo?

Also, had AcidImage (trial) installed before Snappermail, yet when I went to open the JPG with the demo, it didn't recognize AcidImage as an available app. I had to install JpegWatch to see the image. Any ideas out there?

Lastly - can I send an email with the converted Powerpoint as an attachment, and have it open in Quickpoint? Assume it may install first? Not a biggie to test later.
    Originally posted by smichael
    I've been using Eudora since getting the T300, until today. Downloaded Snappermail - worth the money via my eval so far, however seeing that it conflicts with RechoEcho is a problem since I REALLY like writing graffiti style - much faster than the kbd.
    Gotta have those periodic downloads - otherwise it's too much all at once (about 80 emails a day).
    I was bummed out about this too. Based on your message, I went back to PalmInfoCenter because I knew they had recently reviewed a bunch of on-screen Graffiti programs (except for RecoEcho+ for some reason). I tried out two of the programs they reviewed, NewPen and GraffitiAnywhere. I'm happy to report that both of these programs are free and work fine with SnapperMail's periodic fetch. I would suggest you try them both (with GraffitiAnywhere you'll want to try turning on/off various options). I think I like NewPen better, but I found that you HAVE to turn off the on-screen tracing with NewPen, or else it operates weirdly and slow. With it off, I think I actually like it a bit better than GraffitiAnywhere.

Scott
    As a reminder, SnapperMail bundles Diddlebug 2.6. The nice thing about this is that the SM/Diddlebug combo allows you to e-mail notepad sheet you create with Diddlebug. Very cool!
    Originally posted by smichael
    Gotta have those periodic downloads - otherwise it's too much all at once (about 80 emails a day). Question - anyway to limit attachments by size, so as not to use up all the memory on the Treo?

Also, had AcidImage (trial) installed before Snappermail, yet when I went to open the JPG with the demo, it didn't recognize AcidImage as an available app. I had to install JpegWatch to see the image. Any ideas out there?

Lastly - can I send an email with the converted Powerpoint as an attachment, and have it open in Quickpoint? Assume it may install first? Not a biggie to test later.

RecoEcho - they may have fixed it in the latest version. Write to the devloper and ask if they've fixed their bug.

Limiting attachment size - Normally you set it up to download the first part of the message like the first 100 lines. Then you fetch the attachments manually if you decide you want them (you get the message size as an indication of size). You can hit cancel mid-download and whateve you managed to fetch up to the cancel is still stored.

AcidImage - The latest beta which is really the AcidImage 3.0beta supports SnapperMail. Go to www.red-mercury.com to download the latest beta from the beta page.

Quickpoint - if you have a quickpoint PDB file, then yes you can download it and install it with Snapper and open it inside Quickpoint.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

Originally posted by cfsully
    I have been using Eudora since I got my Treo 300 back in August. It has been an excellent email program for me, and best of all, it was FREE!!! This discussion convinced me to consider other email software and I have been using Snappermail for about a week now.

Although I did not like the idea of paying for an email client when eudora's was free (also I think Handspring should include one with the phone), I liked the periodic polling and the attachment handling capabilities of Snappermail. The only way I could justify the cost to myself was if I were to buy the "free upgrades" package and be done with it. So this morning, I made my way over to the Snappermail web site to do just that, and BAM! I see that the price for the lifetime upgrades package has been raised up to $70!!! I think it was $55 when I downloaded the trail version.

I'm in the same boat. I downloaded the trial version of Snappermail and was ready to buy the lifetime version once it expired if I liked it. Well I did, but once I saw the new price, I passed on it. Luckily it forced me to work with Eudora a bit more and I finally figured out why one particular account was not working for me.

<snip>

Quickpoint - if you have a quickpoint PDB file, then yes you can download it and install it with Snapper and open it inside Quickpoint.

-W
    While the QuickOffice Premier package will indeed open MS Office attachments, upon sending (with or without changes) them to someone else from the Treo, the files loose so much of their original formating, it makes them almost useless to the recipient. IMO, QuickOffice makes for a great set of viewers but that's about it for now. And $49 is pretty hefty for viewers and not ready for prime time, IMO.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 03/09/2003 at 03:40 PM.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser

I'm in the same boat. I downloaded the trial version of Snappermail and was ready to buy the lifetime version once it expired if I liked it. Well I did, but once I saw the new price, I passed on it. Luckily it forced me to work with Eudora a bit more and I finally figured out why one particular account was not working for me.

We clearly marked from the beginning that the full price for Snapper was going to be $39.95 and $69.95 - people who bought early during the beta got the deal. People who hung around missed the limited time deal. This is the way "limited time deals" work.

But on the bright side we set the price of the non-upgrade package to $34.95 which is much less than we said we would and only $3 more than the special price.

Don't look at $70 as the price of SnapperMail - that's the price of Super-SnapperMail... whatever Snapper evolves into in the future. It's free upgrades for life that you're paying for. You'll be getting IMAP, conduits, some really really cool future stuff I'm not willing to talk about with this price. Anyone who buys this is getting a bargain - we think that it's so much so that we are going to phase this product option out.

I think SnapperMail which includes a bundle of applications including Zip, Jpeg apps and some of the best support available is a good price. Of course, people can vote with their $ and the poll on the homepage indicates the price is okay for most. (people would rather buy Snapper over free-Eudora 4:1)

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

I don't disagree with the value of the lifetime purchase. However, my use for e-mail is fairly limited. $50 was pushing it for my needs, but as I stated already, I liked the software and certainly would always want updates. At $70, I had to re-think the decision. Had I seen the info on the price increase, I would have purchased it on time. Since I was frustrated at having to pay more than I planned, I like the poster I was replying too, looked elsewhere and found a solution to my needs for free. Sure I can purchase the $35 version, but it would frustrate me to not receive updates as it appears that great updates are certainly coming. Snappermail is a great program and I'm sure it will continue to be even better. Although it would be much better for $50!!!

RecoEcho - they may have fixed it in the latest version. Write to the devloper and ask if they've fixed their bug.

Limiting attachment size - Normally you set it up to download the first part of the message like the first 100 lines. Then you fetch the attachments manually if you decide you want them (you get the message size as an indication of size). You can hit cancel mid-download and whateve you managed to fetch up to the cancel is still stored.

AcidImage - The latest beta which is really the AcidImage 3.0beta supports SnapperMail. Go to www.red-mercury.com to download the latest beta from the beta page.

-W
    Wil,
    Thanks - guess I can reply to myself on RecoEcho - I used the version available at the Handspring site (http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...tProducts=4417), which requires a serial number to download, however it works fine with Snappermail (demo) for me. I've been getting periodic mail updates automatically all day. I'm sold! Getting ready to purchase SnapperMail - much better than anything else I've tried. Definately will need SSL for my corporate email, but until then, I'll forward to a personal account that I can access.

Reloaded AcidImage - still not seen by Snappermail when opening a JPG image.

Steve