Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I've always used the 3.5 Clipper files. But I removed them and installed the ones I found on the MIK CD just because I wanted to see if the %deviceid% would work -- doesn't. I got the MIK for $2.99 off of amazon.com.
    A used copy, I assume? A new copy from them is $39.88.

It's equivalent to the 3.5 Clipper files.
    Where did you find the 3.5 version prior to getting the MIK CD? The golddave.com download link that people are usually referred to has the 3.2 version.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    A used copy, I assume? A new copy from them is $39.88.

Where did you find the 3.5 version prior to getting the MIK CD? The golddave.com download link that people are usually referred to has the 3.2 version.
    Yes, well, I wouldn't call it used though they might. Really the box was still in plastic but a little squished. Got it from the PalmKing, was $2.99 and maybe $7 shipped. No way I'd pay more than that.

I got the 3.5 I was using by extracting it from POSE and changing the read-only bit on the files. A bit of a pain. The 3.5 extracted from there requires the _enUS files as well, otherwise crashola. Interestingly the MIK fileset is named differently. Dunno, didn't think much about that. They are just in a directory on the CD.
    OMG this is funny. I had the easter egg enabled as we talked about above. And I was watching TV with the Treo open, when I noticed something crawling on the screen. I immediately flung the Treo out of my hand thinking there was a huge roach or something

Turns out it was the TAXI cab! Ha ha I almost busted my $500 baby because of a stupid easter egg.
    well, i found MY best way to get my email on my treo. i recently changed my web hosting to thehostgroup because they had a better price and easier maintenance. little did i realize that they also have a web mail service for the pop3 accounts you create, and they have a palm WAP compatible service as well. (besides message boards and chat to boot!)

so now i just use blazer to go to mydomain.com/up and bring my mail right up on the screen. only disadvantage for the way i use mail is i can't store my name and password. but of course, with the keyboard that's no big deal either.

progress
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by mnc042

Am I the only one who finds that the SBC desktop client just quietly disconnects without any reason, and thinks it's still connected?

When it happens, the green tray icon is still there (showing that it thinks it's connected), but if you open it up and drop down the File menu, "Disconnect" will be greyed-out and "Connect" will be enabled, meaning some part of the client knows what happened.

When in this state, it will not automatically reconnect, and if you're out-and-about, you can no longer sync or get your emails.

Just me? Anyone else?

If it weren't for this issue, SBC would be the answer to my Treo mail problems.

\marc
    Hmm...I've never actually encountered this issue. It seems to stay connected for me at all times. One solution for you might be to get something like VNC or Win-Hand (assuming you aren't behind a firewall, otherwise you might need to get a VPN program like Movian). This way you can control your desktop and then re-connect to Business Connect should it go down. Kind of pain I know, but if it might be worth it if it's something that doesn't happen that often.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

I love SBC except:

a. My computer needs to be connected to the network 24/7 which isn't so bad if,

b. My connection automatically logs me out if I don't use it for a period of time. Usually after 24 hours. So if I go on a trip, or am out of the office for more than a day, I'm screwed.
    Why does it log you out after 24 hours? Is that a security setup within your corporate network? If so, maybe you could buy the IT guy some donuts and ask him to reconfigure it for you?
    MBlank - I was just wondering if you started the program...
    Can anyone tell me which email programs, other than SnapperMail and Handspring's mail program, have a view which shows the subject line on one line and the author on another line in list mode? It seems like most programs squeeze it all on one line, resulting in significant truncation. I like the two-line approach much better. I'll probably end up buying SnapperMail but the cost isn't cheap and I'd be needing to buy two copies of whatever I get (one for my wife's Treo). So, I figured I'd evaluate some other apps in the mean time.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Can anyone tell me which email programs, other than SnapperMail and Handspring's mail program, have a view which shows the subject line on one line and the author on another line in list mode? It seems like most programs squeeze it all on one line, resulting in significant truncation. I like the two-line approach much better. I'll probably end up buying SnapperMail but the cost isn't cheap and I'd be needing to buy two copies of whatever I get (one for my wife's Treo). So, I figured I'd evaluate some other apps in the mean time.

Scott
    Basejet - www.basejet.com - supports 2-line mode. I think it was the first palm email package that started the 2-line view mode revolution, then came Treo mail and then everyone else. Right now it's free and allows you to connect to your corporate email (Outlook-Exchange/Lotus Notes) or POP/IMAP - has a HotSync conduit and built-in attachment viewers and many more features that I think other email packages lack - check it out.
    Thanks tuance. I took a quick look at the site and it looks like it's intended to work with a desktop client but can work without one as well. But it looks like it only supports one email address and it also looks like if you use it without the desktop client, there's no way for the app itself to check for new messages. Am I right on both of these things? If so, I don't think this will meet my wants/needs.

Scott

Scott
    Mark/Space Mail has had this feature for awhile. <http://www.markspace.com/>

(As tuance mentioned, I believe BaseJet was first to support this feature.)
    Thanks tuance. I took a quick look at the site and it looks like it's intended to work with a desktop client but can work without one as well. But it looks like it only supports one email address and it also looks like if you use it without the desktop client, there's no way for the app itself to check for new messages. Am I right on both of these things? If so, I don't think this will meet my wants/needs.

Scott
    Basejet has on-device polling, which I know is working on my Treo 300, but I don't know if users are having any problems with that. I know SMS triggers was working (they never got it to work with Treo 300's) with older Treo models and other devices like the Kyocera 6035 and the Samsung i300. This feature sends an SMS message with a special tag that the device looks for. It wakes up the device, does a wireless sync, then goes back to sleep. On-device polling does the same thing but is a pull method from the device, which the user can set at certain intervals. It only supports one email address currently, but I think they are working on supporting multiple accounts in a future release (well, at least they said that is on their "to-do" list for a future release). There hasn't been a major update to this product for a while, but just a few beta extensions. They're probably hard at work on some cool features for the next release. In the meantime, the product is free, the service is free, so why not enjoy?

<snip>

...it also looks like if you use it without the desktop client, there's no way for the app itself to check for new messages. Am I right on both of these things? If so, I don't think this will meet my wants/needs.

Scott
    No, not true. The application can retrieve e-mail retrieve e-mail via user defined auto-polling. The only problem is it will retrieve e-mail based upon this user-defined setting even if you are doing some other work. In other words, an "arrogant" application. They are supposed to be fixing this to something like SnapperMail (waits until the system is idle) or offering the user a choice to retrieve or not at the selected time.
    Thought I'd jump in with an off-recent-topic/on-general-topic post.

We're about to release this week SnapperMail with handwritten notes support via Diddlebug. I wanted to support sending scribble notes in OS 3.5 Treos like Tungsten T guys get for free with their NotePad app.

Standby... It's all working. You get to send notes in PNG format which can be opened by just about any desktop (usually by a image viewer or Internet Explorer).

An early peek can be found in the files section of our Yahoo forum:
    www.snappermail.com/forum/

Other updates:
    We've got BMP and GIF support via the latest beta of AcidImage. SplashPhoto now supports SnapperMail JPGs. Quicksheet 6 supports CSV.

Looking to release the next version 1.5.1 on Thursday.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Sorry to be an ***** about this. I haven't used POP in years.

I'd like a Palm mail client that synchronized with the server. In particular, when I delete something from the server, I'd like the next Palm client send/fetch to delete it locally.

As I recall, this is a limitation of POP and impossible with that protocol. Unless I've configured incorrectly, Eudora, Mark/Space, SnapperMail cannot do this, based on my tests.

IMAP4 would do this, (right?), but to date there is no IMAP4 client for the Palm which offers periodic checking.

I suppose this is the argument for Biz Conn, which does all this, only without great alert customization (in my opinion).
    Originally posted by kattanm

I'd like a Palm mail client that synchronized with the server. In particular, when I delete something from the server, I'd like the next Palm client send/fetch to delete it locally.

As I recall, this is a limitation of POP and impossible with that protocol. Unless I've configured incorrectly, Eudora, Mark/Space, SnapperMail cannot do this, based on my tests.

IMAP4 would do this, (right?), but to date there is no IMAP4 client for the Palm which offers periodic checking.

I suppose this is the argument for Biz Conn, which does all this, only without great alert customization (in my opinion).
    Basejet (www.basejet.com) supports IMAP with periodic checking.
    Originally posted by tuance

Basejet (www.basejet.com) supports IMAP with periodic checking.
    A very basic subset of the IMAP RFC. Folders and synchronization (the whole idea of IMAP) are not yet supported for example.
    Originally posted by kattanm

Just to correct something above. I experimented with an IMAP client on the Palm, and it still doesn't delete from Palm when I delete from server via desktop.

Here's what I would like in a Palm client:

• periodic checking
    • the Palm client to delete when mail is deleted from the server with a different client
    • my server is Exchange, which is also POP and IMAP compatible, so whatever works is fine
    • a solution which doesn't involve allowing someone else to host my mail or have access to my mailbox (e.g, a proxy server)

I'm afraid there is no client currently available which does the above.
    I think SnapperMail in future will answer your wishes. We're going to add a Sync setting. The Fetch area in the SM setting will be replaced with "Sync" and under the options we'll add delete from handheld when deleted from server.

should please the crowd who follow the sync mindset.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    I think SnapperMail in future will answer your wishes. We're going to add a Sync setting. The Fetch area in the SM setting will be replaced with "Sync" and under the options we'll add delete from handheld when deleted from server.

should please the crowd who follow the sync mindset.

-W
    This will be terrific! What's your guess on the time frame for the Sync feature?