Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 297
  1. #201  
    Originally posted by stoneface
    Don't you have to pay in order to get Yahoo mail sent to other locations?
    You have to pay to get POP3 access to it. My understanding is that 2bAnywhere can download it via HTTP, as it has to do with Hotmail.
  2. #202  
    Originally posted by the_quark
    Failing that, some sort of intelligent scheduled checking and notification by vibrating or beeping. Note that checking which doesn't allow me to say, "Don't check at 2 AM" doesn't count as intelligent. Even worse is Mark/Space mail's, which will knock you off phone calls, and, if it encounters a communications error (say, no coverage), will leave the screen on until you hit OK, which drains your battery completely if you don't happen to look at it for a couple of hours.
    BTW, in case anyone had been avoiding Mark/Space mail due to those problems, 1.0.2 fixed the first one awhile back, and I've just been informed that 1.0.3, out now, fixes the second.

    Also in my buying guide, I've updated GNUGotMail from 0.68 to 0.73 -- the current version has an interesting option (for those with their own PHP-enabled web servers) to download POP3 mail over HTTP, with optional use of gzip compression to shorten download times.

    Also, the company (or individual) responsible for each app used to be part of the "Application" field, but I've now separated this info into a new "Author" field (room for which was made by removing the "Lid-closed operation" column and collapsing the "Delete selected mail on server" data into the "Other" column, as previously mentioned), so if you know the name of the app you're looking for is "PaPi-Mail", but you don't know it's made by "System Engineering Service", you can change the default sort order so that "Application" is the primary sort key.
  3. #203  
    In know others have mentioned it, but my vote goes to Sprints Business Connection. Been using it for about 2 weeks now and the push ability is every bit as fast and reliable as my blackberry was (instaneous!). It automatically syncs with my sent and deleted folders as well.

    Add the ability to get to my company server files and contacts and it's indespensible. If they can figure out how to deliver attachments it will be the ultimate killer app for me (maybe when dataviz releases native office file functionality this summer?).

    Taking nothing away from the other email programs out there (and I've tried them ALL), Business Connect just works.
  4. #204  
    if you need just e-mail hotsync capability, e*mail is a good candidate.

    e*Mail: a replacement for the built-in Mail application of Palm OS devices
    http://www.geocities.com/chitianzi/email.html
  5. #205  
    Originally posted by treo007
    In know others have mentioned it, but my vote goes to Sprints Business Connection. Been using it for about 2 weeks now and the push ability is every bit as fast and reliable as my blackberry was (instaneous!). It automatically syncs with my sent and deleted folders as well.

    Add the ability to get to my company server files and contacts and it's indespensible. If they can figure out how to deliver attachments it will be the ultimate killer app for me (maybe when dataviz releases native office file functionality this summer?).

    Taking nothing away from the other email programs out there (and I've tried them ALL), Business Connect just works.
    I love SBC except:

    a. My computer needs to be connected to the network 24/7 which isn't so bad if,

    b. My connection automatically logs me out if I don't use it for a period of time. Usually after 24 hours. So if I go on a trip, or am out of the office for more than a day, I'm screwed.
  6. #206  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I've updated GNUGotMail from 0.68 to 0.73 -- the current version has an interesting option (for those with their own PHP-enabled web servers) to download POP3 mail over HTTP, with optional use of gzip compression to shorten download times.
    Thanks. I was thinking about an unintentional side-effect of my POP3 over HTTP. You could code some CGI to adapt other mail protocols into it. For example, make one for MAPI or one for HotMail/Yahoo etc. You just need to send back a compatible stream.

    Here's how POP3 over HTTP works. GNUGotMail (GGM) sends a request like this:

    http://server:port/httpop.php with POST params; user=pass=top=start=cnt=uidl1=del=

    Some of it gets a little confusing. Check http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/work/httpop.php.txt for how the vars are used.

    The uidl1= and del= are the most difficult to explain. With my scheme, prior messages are deleted when a successive HTTP request sets the del=### to a starting message number which is known to have been successful. I use the UIDL of msg #1 as a safeguard to make sure that GGM and the POP3 jive with one another, and if they don't match it falls back to non-destructive behavior.

    At any rate, it's been working pretty good for me that I haven't had any impulses to change things. Oh yeah, I think I may change URL links in the Mail UI to use Clipper instead of Blazer, as soon as I figure out how to get Clipper forced into not capping the request size. Clipper library seems to be lots snappier than Blazer.

    On a side note, you guys really have to try out One-Click Clipping. It's great great great! I have a change to switcheroo to support PQA and OCC launching. Ha ha, opt+c=cnn, opt+a=abc, opt+d=drudgereport, opt+m=msnbc, opt+p=treocentral. It's so very cool.
    Last edited by potatoho; 02/19/2003 at 01:30 PM.
  7. #207  
    I have tried TreoMail from it's first introduction but gave up on it when they experienced "server Problems" for several days. I liked the software a lot! Then I moved to Eudora which is priced right and worked very well. Only one real problem; I couldn't read the mail because the font was too small for my bad eyes. Two days ago I acquired SnapperMail and find it has all the things i liked about TreoMail and I can read the messages. It's a good product!
  8. #208  
    Originally posted by treo007
    In know others have mentioned it, but my vote goes to Sprints Business Connection. Been using it for about 2 weeks now and the push ability is every bit as fast and reliable as my blackberry was (instaneous!).
    Am I the only one who finds that the SBC desktop client just quietly disconnects without any reason, and thinks it's still connected?

    When it happens, the green tray icon is still there (showing that it thinks it's connected), but if you open it up and drop down the File menu, "Disconnect" will be greyed-out and "Connect" will be enabled, meaning some part of the client knows what happened.

    When in this state, it will not automatically reconnect, and if you're out-and-about, you can no longer sync or get your emails.

    Just me? Anyone else?

    If it weren't for this issue, SBC would be the answer to my Treo mail problems.

    \marc
  9. #209  
    laracroft writes:
    if you need just e-mail hotsync capability, e*mail is a good candidate.

    e*Mail: a replacement for the built-in Mail application of Palm OS devices
    http://www.geocities.com/chitianzi/email.html
    Wasn't familiar with that one -- thanks. I've added it to my guide.

    The author describes the original Mail application (which potatoho / Rally Monkey / Chris Faherty also uses in conjunction with his GNUGotMail) as included in the Palm OS, but of course the Treo doesn't have it. Did it start getting included at some point after 3.5.2, or did Handspring simply delete it on the Treo so people wouldn't confuse it with a wireless email client?


    potatoho writes:
    Here's how POP3 over HTTP works. GNUGotMail (GGM) sends a request like this:

    http://serverort/httpop.php with POST params; user=pass=top=start=cnt=uidl1=del=
    Wow! Never seen a URL scheme that required you to type a smiley face before. (You gotta watch that "Disable Smilies in This Post" checkbox.)

    Oh, and I see you've updated again, to 0.74. Noted...
  10. #210  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    (re: e*Mail) The author describes the original Mail application (which potatoho / Rally Monkey / Chris Faherty also uses in conjunction with his GNUGotMail) as included in the Palm OS, but of course the Treo doesn't have it. Did it start getting included at some point after 3.5.2, or did Handspring simply delete it on the Treo so people wouldn't confuse it with a wireless email client?
    I started with Mail 3.1. That's the last one I have sources to. I hope to find Mail 4.0 somewhere, it's probably included with later versions of CodeWarrior. I don't know if it adds any functionality, but I know I've had to patch a few holes which the later versions of the OS and emulator found.

    Normally the Mail app uses DmDeleteRecord() when you purge, but that leaves record stubs for the people who use hotsync. The conduit uses the stubs to delete the appropriate record from your desktop Mail. I changed those to DmRemoveRecord() which doesn't use stubs because I don't like them hanging around.

    Other changes I've made are adding a few hotkeys. 'n' next, 'p' prev, 't' top, 'b' bottom, <enter> <backspace> return to view, 'd' delete, jog-up/down moves a single line, jog-press toggles the view. I also modernized lots of the operations so they don't return to the list view. What's up with that? So now you can just hold down the 'd' key It still honors the pref for confirm though, if that scares you..

    I also added Handspring battery/signal indicators. And I added a launchcode to allow GGM to share the dbref and dynamically update the views when it does the "background" mail retrieval.

    Here's my hacked Mail UI and sources: http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/mail31cwsux.zip
  11. #211  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    [B]Other changes I've made are adding a few hotkeys. 'n' next, 'p' prev, 't' top, 'b' bottom, <enter> <backspace> return to view, 'd' delete, jog-up/down moves a single line, jog-press toggles the view. [...]

    I also added Handspring battery/signal indicators.
    Coolness. Thanks for these details on your Treo-specific support. Recently I've been adding this info to entries in my guide, rather than just giving farily meaningless subjective characterizations like "good - excellent".
  12. #212  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Coolness. Thanks for these details on your Treo-specific support. Recently I've been adding this info to entries in my guide, rather than just giving farily meaningless subjective characterizations like "good - excellent".
    Hrm, almost forgot. 'l' that's el, brings up a pop-up with URLs within the email and it let's you launch Clipper, Blazer, EudoraWeb on them. It's hardcoded to try them in that order though. There's also a little wireless-char thingy at the bottom so you can tell if a URL is there without searching through the message.

    Sadly there appears to be a buglet on this forum where it isn't PalmComputingPlatform or HandheldFriendly or something. Only the "Sprint Treo 300" forum is affected, the others work fine. This makes this particular forum get chopped off and lose images.
  13. #213  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Sadly there appears to be a buglet on this forum where it isn't PalmComputingPlatform or HandheldFriendly or something. Only the "Sprint Treo 300" forum is affected, the others work fine.
    Really? That's weird. That would make it sound like they tried to do something to specifically support Treo browsers on this forum but it backfired.

    This makes this particular forum get chopped off and lose images.
    With all Treo browsers, or just certain ones? Have you tried reporting this to the "TreoCentral.com" forum? I just now got around to reporting there the weird problem that causes new post notifications to randomly be from VisorCentral.com rather than TreoCentral.com. (Of course I've written a script to work around the problem, but I didn't mention that in my complaint. )
  14. #214  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Really? That's weird. That would make it sound like they tried to do something to specifically support Treo browsers on this forum but it backfired.

    With all Treo browsers, or just certain ones? Have you tried reporting this to the "TreoCentral.com" forum?
    I'll try that. I wrote to support@treocentral.com just yesterday so I don't want to break their balls since it's only been one day But what the heck I'll post there too.

    I haven't really investigated it too much. I didn't realize how many sites have good handheldfriendly stuff. From what I understand, any time there are images within Clipper, they are handheldfriendly or PalmComputingDevice or something.

    When I'm in other treocentral forums, the images are there and I can navigate to multiple pages. It's actually very nice, and that's why I use it as my primary browser for links in emails. But once I go into the "Sprint Treo 300" the images go away and the pages gets chopped arbitrarily and I can't read this good stuff.

    Probably doesn't affect other browsers. But I'll tell you that using Blazer with treocentral isn't fun. It turns into a monstrosity you have to wait 5 minutes before all images are loaded, and they keep making the screen refresh for some reason.

    Try treocentral with Clipper, it's very nice. Use the easter egg if you want to try it without an OCC or PQA. Go into Prefs, General. Make a counter-clockwise circle in the lower right corner. An easter egg icon will appear. Then go into any old PQA and double-tap in the lower right corner. You should now have a Page menu option. From there you can enter any URL and set various options. Open treocentral.com.
  15. #215  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I wrote to support@treocentral.com just yesterday
    Ah -- that's probably a more foolproof way to reach them. I noticed threads in that forum where people were saying "can a moderator please visit and read this...?" and it didn't appear that they ever had.

    Probably doesn't affect other browsers. But I'll tell you that using Blazer with treocentral isn't fun. It turns into a monstrosity you have to wait 5 minutes before all images are loaded, and they keep making the screen refresh for some reason.
    I don't believe it's as bad with Xiino (though I've only tried it a few times). Of course there's always the mobile version of the discussion board, but that of course is missing functionality from the normal version.

    Try treocentral with Clipper, it's very nice. Use the easter egg if you want to try it without an OCC
    OCC?

    or PQA. Go into Prefs, General. Make a counter-clockwise circle in the lower right corner. An easter egg icon will appear. Then go into any old PQA
    I thought you said "without a[...] PQA".

    and double-tap in the lower right corner. You should now have a Page menu option. From there you can enter any URL and set various options. Open treocentral.com.
    Hmm. Wacky. Well, I was able to get the easter egg icon to appear, but after that, double-tapping in the lower right corner in PQAs (I tried 3) didn't do anything (not that it really matters since I have Vagabond installed.
  16. #216  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I don't believe it's as bad with Xiino (though I've only tried it a few times). Of course there's always the mobile version of the discussion board, but that of course is missing functionality from the normal version.
    Yeah that's what I normally get with Clipper. Though it comes that way with a normal link in an email. I think I'll look around and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

    OCC?

    I posted to another forum, but I don't think anyone reads it. It's called One-Click Clipping, and it's the greatest thing! It's kinda like PQAnywhere, but with differences. Normal PQAs require a click before they go online, whereas once you run an OCC, it goes and retrieves the page. Plus occman is a nice way to manage them, i.e. rename and edit, whereas PQAnywhere you are pretty much stuck with your first attempt unless you delete it and start over.

    OCC has source code too. And it has a desktop program to let you make OCC files ahead of time if you want. It's really a pretty simple system. It works like this:

    An OCC pdb is a small database associated with occman. It has a URL and a couple other little parameters. Since it's associated with occman, it can be launched like any other database (i.e. like how you can launch a Doc reader with a particular Doc file). So the launcher lets you click on the OCC and it launches occman which then does a simple Clipper launch with the URL. OCC does have another option, WHICH I ADVISE NOT TO USE, called Stand Alone. When you do that it will add a program stub to your OCC so that it launches without having occman installed. The problem is that it in the process of that it changes the type of your OCC to 'appl' and so it then hides the occman application itself until you delete your stand alone OCC.

    But anyways, you shouldn't have any need to make an OCC into Stand Alone. The launcher already sees OCC files, and I have some pending patches for switcheroo to support PQA and OCC and it's the greatest thing. I have hotkeys for all of my news sites and bada-bing they just come right up. With occman it's easy to find a site with Blazer and then just cut & paste it into an OCC.

    I thought you said "without a[...] PQA".

    I meant without a PQA specifically built for the site. Any old one will do. After the easter egg, double tapping in the lower right corner should enable an extra menu called "Page".
  17. #217  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Yeah that's what I normally get with Clipper. Though it comes that way with a normal link in an email.
    I see. So I guess they auto-detect when you visit with Clipper and redirect to the mobile version of the board.

    After the easter egg, double tapping in the lower right corner should enable an extra menu called "Page".
    Ah, you didn't mention that bit. It doesn't seem to work reliably for me -- I have to hit the Menu key several times, but eventually the Page menu will come up, leaving behind unerased junk on the screen from the Edit menu that it replaced. Interesting that you can select "No maximum" as the Max size. Can't do that with Vagabond (limited to 10K), making this easter egg potentially valuable even to those with PQA browsers. Thanks for the tip.

    And BTW, you and I have managed to go completely off-topic again.
  18. #218  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Ah, you didn't mention that bit. It doesn't seem to work reliably for me -- I have to hit the Menu key several times, but eventually the Page menu will come up, leaving behind unerased junk on the screen from the Edit menu that it replaced. Interesting that you can select "No maximum" as the Max size. Can't do that with Vagabond (limited to 10K), making this easter egg potentially valuable even to those with PQA browsers. Thanks for the tip.
    I have the Mobile Internet Kit Clipper files installed. I think they are 3.5 and not the older ones which most people use. 4.0 Clipper files have some more interesting options, image quality etc, on that Open URL menu. Though you can't do 4.0 Clipper files on a Treo 300.

    BTW after a lot of trial and error I found out that the Sprint Treo 300 forum issue with Clipper is size related. Seems that a page > 16K or so will cause truncation problems in Clipper. Just so happens that we have long-*** threads in here which cause slightly more html than in the other forums. It was 19K, and when I snipped a couple of threads it worked ok. I don't know where that particular limit comes from, as it doesn't seem to include images etc. In other words you can have 16K of html, and then also have images on the page with no probs.
  19. #219  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I have the Mobile Internet Kit Clipper files installed. I think they are 3.5 and not the older ones which most people use. 4.0 Clipper files have some more interesting options, image quality etc, on that Open URL menu. Though you can't do 4.0 Clipper files on a Treo 300.
    Do the 3.5 Clipper libraries add options over the 3.2 ones that most of us use? The only option I get is the maximum clipping size one that I mentioned. I presume there's still no color with 3.5?

    And the MIK version of the libraries are only available by buying a CD-ROM from Palm, right?
  20. #220  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Do the 3.5 Clipper libraries add options over the 3.2 ones that most of us use? The only option I get is the maximum clipping size one that I mentioned. I presume there's still no color with 3.5?

    And the MIK version of the libraries are only available by buying a CD-ROM from Palm, right?
    I've always used the 3.5 Clipper files. But I removed them and installed the ones I found on the MIK CD just because I wanted to see if the %deviceid% would work -- doesn't. I got the MIK for $2.99 off of amazon.com. It's equivalent to the 3.5 Clipper files.

    No color for 3.5 either. I did try the 3.2 at one time, same old same old. Nothing different that I noticed. 3.5 only has the maximum clipping size option on the Page menu as well. 4.0 has more, though I can't get that to run on the Treo 300.

Posting Permissions