Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Originally posted by rarebird

<snip>

Am I missing something about this obsession with SnapperMail?
    No. To each their own. As an example, I need a real, honest-to-goodness IMAP client. I have to use MultiMail because even though it is 2 years old, it is the closes RFC-complient IMAP client available. This advantage, for me, overshadows the fact that it is very slow and is at its end-of-life. <sigh>
    is there a way to use Eudora or something else to get SMS notifications of new mail to my yahoo or sprint accounts so that I know when to sync up to read the e-mail?
    --------

I've been using Eudora and Yahoo w/ SMS notification for two months with no probs. The SMS's are very timely, and I don't believe I have missed any. A "paid" Yahoo account comes with POP3 access and the necessary mail forwarding options to enable SMS notification.

Now if I could just change that SMS notification tone..
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    No. To each their own. As an example, I need a real, honest-to-goodness IMAP client. I have to use MultiMail because even though it is 2 years old, it is the closes RFC-complient IMAP client available. This advantage, for me, overshadows the fact that it is very slow and is at its end-of-life. <sigh>
    Thanks for bringing this up, Maniac. I hadn't included MultiMail PRO in my buying guide since it was no longer available anywhere and because the code lived on as Palm's VersaMail.

However, I didn't realize MultiMail was still today the most RFC-compliant IMAP client. Given that plus the fact that VersaMail requires OS 4.1+ and Palm hardware, it seems worthwhile to put MultiMail in my guide for documentative purposes.

If possible, please take a look at the entry for it and let me know if that accurately characterizes it (I based my entry on looking at Google-cached copies of actualsoft.com's defunct website). Also if you can fill in the question marks, please do.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    If possible, please take a look at the entry for it and let me know if that accurately characterizes it (I based my entry on looking at Google-cached copies of actualsoft.com's defunct website). Also if you can fill in the question marks, please do.
    Hey I've got that website on my Harddrive.... after all I did build that site for them ;-)

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Thanks for bringing this up, Maniac. I hadn't included MultiMail PRO in my buying guide since it was no longer available anywhere and because the code lived on as Palm's VersaMail.

However, I didn't realize MultiMail was still today the most RFC-compliant IMAP client. Given that plus the fact that VersaMail requires OS 4.1+ and Palm hardware, it seems worthwhile to put MultiMail in my guide for documentative purposes.

Geez, what happened to Actual Software's web site? At any rate, your analysis is pretty much right on. MMPro did not do periodic pull so you can remove that question mark. I've only used Pro not Discovery so I can't answer any questions regarding that.

Now that Will Lau has responded, I defer to him since he wrote the thing.
    Originally posted by snapperfish

Hey I've got that website on my Harddrive.... after all I did build that site for them ;-)

-W
    Yes you did and an endeavor in which you should be proud. BTW, if Snappermail will have the same RFC-compliant IMAP support (as MMPro), you will be a hero many times over.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    Geez, what happened to Actual Software's web site?
    Well, it appears that MultiMail was really their only product, so I assume either Palm bought the company or they just bought the MultiMail product itself and Actual shut down because they didn't have a product anymore.

At any rate, your analysis is pretty much right on. MMPro did not do periodic pull so you can remove that question mark. I've only used Pro not Discovery so I can't answer any questions regarding that.
    'Kay, thanks. How about its Treo support? Does the ListType key work in all input areas? Can you start an email download then close the lid without disrupting it? (Presumably there's no special support for running commands via keyboard, since Palm OS devices with built-in keyboards didn't exist back then.)

Now that Will Lau has responded, I defer to him since he wrote the thing.
    Ah. Didn't realize that. Neat! So Snappermail has an impressive "developer pedigree" along with its other advantages.
    'Kay, thanks. How about its Treo support? Does the ListType key work in all input areas? Can you start an email download then close the lid without disrupting it? (Presumably there's no special support for running commands via keyboard, since Palm OS devices with built-in keyboards didn't exist back then.)
    You can start a download, close the lid, the Treo shuts off, but you can turn it back on with the power button, and the download is not interrupted.

List-type key works in message/subject body, but does not in the "To:" field. Although, hitting the List key brings up the options, it crashes most of the time I try to use it

Snappermail + Multimail's IMAP = The best email client ever.

Will, I know you have been asked this a bazillion times, but when is IMAP expected?
    Originally posted by Appleman
    You can start a download, close the lid, the Treo shuts off, but you can turn it back on with the power button, and the download is not interrupted.
    Um, yeah, but that's true of any app on the Treo, right? I think what people mean by "lid-closed operation" is whether an email app will continue to work when the Treo's in "off" mode.

I dunno, maybe it's not a significant piece of data. Since most apps in my guide just had a "?" there, I downgraded it today from being its own column to just being mentioned in the "Other" column if I had a "yes" or a "no". I only put it in there in the first place because a few people in this thread considered it to be significant. Maybe I should take out this data altogether, since the close-then-manually-turn-back-on workaround you mention seems like it should be good enough for anyone.

List-type key works in message/subject body, but does not in the "To:" field. Although, hitting the List key brings up the options, it crashes most of the time I try to use it
    'Kay, thanks. That's nice that it works in the body -- that's the most likely place for it to fail, since email apps usually use nonstandard text entry APIs there (yet usually use standard ones for the header fields).

And I forgot to ask -- aside from that crash, would you characterize it as stable? The only data I had to go on there were a couple of negative comments on the PalmBlvd.com page for the program.

Oh, I also forgot to ask -- any problems with auto-capitalization? (That is, do you need to install AutoShift Hack or equivalent?)
    MULTIMAIL
    ----------------------------------------
    MultiMail also handled Text attachments. Its ZIP support was only good for opening PRC/PDB files inside the ZIP (unlike HandZipper Lite which can extract any kind of file as long as you have a viewer available).

Certicom version was available for $69.95

Stable? Definitely not. Only runs OK on OS 3.5 devices and below. It never got an OS 4 make over - expect lots of crashes on 4.0 and above (I'd call it incompatible/unusable for OS 4)

SMTP AUTH - I believe it does (we called it ESMTP support on the site), but the user/pass had to be the same as the POP3 login.

MAX Mail Size - 2MB of attachments, 60k for message body

MulitiMail Discovery I think is 32k for message body. No attachment support.

Palm, Inc. Bought the company lock stock and barrel.

SNAPPERMAIL
    ---------------------------------------
    Just checking your SnapperMail slot... here's some updates...

Attachments:
    Please add
    * CSV -> Quicksheet
    * BMP -> AcidImage 3.0 beta (out this week)
    * GIF -> AcidImage 3.0
    * WAV -> Voice Memo (sorry Tungsten owners only)
    * PNG -> Note Pad (Tungsten again)

We've got more JPG viewers than we know what to do with now...
    * JPG -> JpegWatch, JpegWatchLite, SplashPhoto, AcidImage, JPGview, PhotoBase
    (yup we've been busy with partner developers

Stay tuned for more in 2 weeks including some "holy grail" stuff!

Pricing is $34.95 for all 1.x versions (and does not include 2.0).

In your "other" slot:
    HTML support -> version 1.6
    Unlimited user defined folders -> version 1.7
    Filters -> version 1.8
    IMAP -> 2.0
    (all subject to change, we're currently schuduled to do one 0.1 revision every month)

-------

Awesome job Dan, it's a very up to date and comprehensive matrix.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

<snip>

Snappermail + Multimail's IMAP = The best email client ever.

<snip>
    Exactly!!!!

Will, I know you have been asked this a bazillion times, but when is IMAP expected?
    Seconded - and it's a nearly solid sale here if you can give a realistic date range that isn't too far off. I've been testing Tapmail and Iambic, and find fatal flaws in both. Tapmail works very well, but is incredibly slow getting the messages. Iambic doesn't seem to understand the data connection at all (much worse than most of my internet apps), and it assigns all downloaded mail a date of December 8th, making meaningful sorting impossible. This is against a Groupwise mail server, which has it's own quirks, most of which are cured by using IMAP (which grabs mail from a folder) rather than Pop (which can't distinguish between groupwise messages, appointments and todos, resulting in tons of junk mail to work through).

I've looked at Snappermail, and, if I needed a POP client, it would be a no-brainer. But I need IMAP.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Originally posted by pcampbell

Seconded - and it's a nearly solid sale here if you can give a realistic date range that isn't too far off.

<snip>

This is what Will said above:

"IMAP -> 2.0
    (all subject to change, we're currently schuduled to do one 0.1 revision every month)"

They are at 1.5 now so around July?
    Um, yeah, but that's true of any app on the Treo, right? I think what people mean by "lid-closed operation" is whether an email app will continue to work when the Treo's in "off" mode.

I dunno, maybe it's not a significant piece of data. Since most apps in my guide just had a "?" there, I downgraded it today from being its own column to just being mentioned in the "Other" column if I had a "yes" or a "no". I only put it in there in the first place because a few people in this thread considered it to be significant. Maybe I should take out this data altogether, since the close-then-manually-turn-back-on workaround you mention seems like it should be good enough for anyone.
    Okay, I'm removing this data now. Just to preserve it somewhere (for those that care), here's the entries I had data for about this:

• Actual Software MultiMail PRO 3.1: no
    • Basejet: yes
    • Electric Pocket Mailer 1.4: yes (only if start download with lid open?)
    • GNUGotMail 0.68: yes
    • Handspring TreoMail 1.5: yes
    • QUALCOMM Eudora 2.1: yes -- if start send / receive, then close lid, it'll continue, turning on the screen (until the usual timeout) at a certain point
    • Snapperfish SnapperMail 1.5.0 build 9: yes
    • Sprint PCS Business Connection: no
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    MultiMail also handled Text attachments.
    Yeah, I've already got that.

Its ZIP support was only good for opening PRC/PDB files inside the ZIP (unlike HandZipper Lite which can extract any kind of file as long as you have a viewer available).
    Oh? The Google-cached copy of www.actualsoft.com/plugins.htm says that the Unzip Plugin "allows you to open a zip file and extract or view any file already supported with MultiMail Pro".

Certicom version was available for $69.95
    Thanks. I saw the notes on the site that it wasn't available online -- was it available to the general public, or only to corporate customers? Any idea which protocols (out of IMAP4, NNTP, POP3, and SMTP) it supported SSL for?

Stable? Definitely not. Only runs OK on OS 3.5 devices and below. It never got an OS 4 make over - expect lots of crashes on 4.0 and above (I'd call it incompatible/unusable for OS 4)

SMTP AUTH - I believe it does (we called it ESMTP support on the site), but the user/pass had to be the same as the POP3 login.

MAX Mail Size - 2MB of attachments, 60k for message body

MulitiMail Discovery I think is 32k for message body. No attachment support.

Palm, Inc. Bought the company lock stock and barrel.
    Thanks a lot for these data points -- I've added them.

SNAPPERMAIL
    ---------------------------------------
    Just checking your SnapperMail slot... here's some updates...
    Thanks! SnapperMail is certainly the hardest program in my guide to keep up with, by far. Of course its frequent updates are a very good thing for the users of SnapperMail. I certainly look forward to the day it has SSL support, so I can join the party.
    Oh, I also forgot to ask -- any problems with auto-capitalization? (That is, do you need to install AutoShift Hack or equivalent?)
    I forgot to answer.....

Again, this is erratic. It auto-capitalizes in the To: field and the message body, but not in the subject line.

One other thing to point out is that it auto-fills the To: field by checking your address book. So once you start writing "Dan" it continuously checks the address book and compares and fills in the rest of the name, along with the e-mail address. Much like how Outlook Express does when entires are already in the address book.
    Thanks. I saw the notes on the site that it wasn't available online -- was it available to the general public, or only to corporate customers? Any idea which protocols (out of IMAP4, NNTP, POP3, and SMTP) it supported SSL for?
    You couldn't buy the SSL version online, you had to enquire directly so it was for (bulk?) corporate customers only. I have no idea what protocols SSL was for, it's a safe be to assume IMAP and SMTP since that was the standard corporate configuration, POP3 and NNTP I'm not sure on.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

I have used a lot email programs, but none have been efficient as 2ba. Check out 2banywhere.com. It even lets you download from hotmail, which Ihaven't seen with any other programs.
    Stanley Lumax
    Originally posted by stoneface
    I have used a lot email programs, but none have been efficient as 2ba. Check out 2banywhere.com. It even lets you download from hotmail, which Ihaven't seen with any other programs.
    Actually, referring to my guide, I see Gopher King can do that too. 2bAnywhere is the only one I know of that can download Yahoo! web mail, though.
    Don't you have to pay in order to get Yahoo mail sent to other locations?
    Stanley Lumax