1.    #1  
    just called COMPUSA, and the guy told me that the TREO 270 is being discontinued at their stores. (sku #25099) and theyve already taken it off their website. getting it at their stores is a hit and miss.

is this model getting discontinued??

i am just about to buy one. am i making a mistake? should i hold off for something else?

please help as any input will be appreciated.
    This might be related to the screen failure issue. I know that my local CompUSA got a shipment of three 270's back in July. I was there the next day to buy one when it came in. Five days later, the screen went out. I tried to return it to the store for another one, but they had sold their inventory, and there was no inventory at any other stores in the DC area.

I did see a 270 box on the floor when I was trying to make my return, so I asked them "What about that one?" They said "Oh, that's a return..."

So, I had Handspring replace mine. But imagine if every CompUSA store across the country had to deal with a 33% return rate or greater due to a failure of the product?? I can imagine there's a significant cost to CompUSA involved with that. If that is the nature of this problem, I can certainly understand that CompUSA might decide to tell Handspring "Thanks, but no thanks" on the 270.

-Doug
  3.    #3  
    doug,

how do you like your unit? do you recommend the 300?

i really dont like sprint's pcs vision plans nor do i like that their unit is single band.

any insight would be appreciated.

thanks.
    I don't have any direct information from Hand but this is what seems logical to me. The treo 270 is in the process of being revised. Specifically the new gprs patch will be incorporated and it will fix a number of minor problems in addition to making the treo compatible with gprs. It is not clear whether Hand will call it treo 275 or 280, but at some point in time them need to cut over and start making inventory for the upgraded device. That point may have been reached.

They probably have built up some inventory for a few weeks, and started building devices with the upgraded rom. They need to build substantial inventory because the international and US service providers have promised to start purchasing the Treo 270 in volume once it is compatibile with gprs. Some may be convinced that the gprs patch works and have started booking orders now, so that they have adequate supplies when the gprs patch is finnaly certified by all of the service providers. So whether or not you should wait perhaps depends on whether you want the upgrade in the next few weeks, or the existing product which you probably can upgrade by downloading a patch.
  5. 996
    Originally posted by rvwink
    They probably have built up some inventory for a few weeks, and started building devices with the upgraded rom. They need to build substantial inventory because the international and US service providers have promised to start purchasing the Treo 270 in volume once it is compatibile with gprs. Some may be convinced that the gprs patch works and have started booking orders now, so that they have adequate supplies when the gprs patch is finnaly certified by all of the service providers. So whether or not you should wait perhaps depends on whether you want the upgrade in the next few weeks, or the existing product which you probably can upgrade by downloading a patch.
    I have proof to back this up, Rogers (at least on the Toronto area) is upgrading some of their corp. and dealers right now to the 270. Hopefully I'll be getting one next week
    I am wondering though if from a marketing standpoint Handspring are not backing away from the 270 and going more for deals like they have with Sprint, thus allowing the providers to do their marketing for them. If you look at all the recent computer magz (this month) you will see the only talk of Handspring is the 300 and Sprint. The 270 and 180 barely warrant mention any longer. Perhaps one of the other providers will pick up the 270 and give it a push, but obviously Handspring have not had what they were expecting out of Voicestream/T-Mobile who obviously have their own deal with Microsoft. Maybe AT&T will finally see that they are going to be left out in the cold with their Blackberry and talk to Handspring (if Microsoft don't get in there first - which rumor has it has happened).
    Last edited by mervynle; 10/10/2002 at 01:03 PM.
    I am wondering though if from a marketing standpoint Handspring are not backing away from the 270 and going more for deals like they have with Sprint, thus allowing the providers to do their marketing for them.

Don't think you are on target with that thought. Gprs patch was required before gsm service providers were willing to accept 270 inventory and to promote the product. That patch is just released and Hand is changing the rom of the 270 so that service providers can sell products ready to run gprs. Once the international service providers have the new inventory they will begin marketing it actively and then Sprint for cdma and Hand's extensive stable of gsm providers, will become the fulcrum of Hand's new marketing emphasis.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    I am wondering though if from a marketing standpoint Handspring are not backing away from the 270 and going more for deals like they have with Sprint, thus allowing the providers to do their marketing for them.

Hand's extensive stable of gsm providers, will become the fulcrum of Hand's new marketing emphasis.
    Correct!
    It started to happen since the beginning of last week in my part of the world...
    Can you provide a little color for me about what is happening. Is the Treo 270 still the Treo 270 or have they changed the name to help one identify that the rom is different. Have the service providers in your area initiated meaningful advertising programs specifically featuring the Treo? How are you enjoying gprs? Is the speed improvement meaningful for you?

Good to hear from you and hope your treo is treating you better these days.