Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Hairy Palms
    Is SMS like a two-way pager? I don't get it.

As it stands right now with this software, you can:

-SEND a ONE-WAY message to ANY email address (world-wide)
    -SEND a ONE-WAY message to ANY digital phone that has a data or messaging plan enabled (US only)
    -EXCHANGE (TWO-WAY) messages with another Short Mail - enabled system or device (US only). The problem with this last feature is: how do you know whether the other end can reply???

To really be useful, TWO-WAY capabilities are needed for all types of messaging. Hopefully, this will happen in a future release or, dare I even think it, Sprint's "upcoming" SMS solution.
    No one has responded yet to my questions/concerns of price or the reliance on/reliablility of the proxy server - I'm not sure if that means that I'm the only one curious, or other people found the info somewhere I didn't...
    Last edited by alex_t_king; 09/20/2002 at 03:32 PM.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by PDAapps

If your SMS buddy's phone is SMS capable, he or she can address their SMS to you using either the phone number or the number@messaging.sprintpcs.com email address. For Sprint originators, this won't make any difference. For non-sprint phones, the email addressing may get the message to you faster depending on the time of day, what part of the country you are in and the state of Sprint's network.

PDAapps
    My buddy's AT&T phone sent an sms to my phone number. It doesn't get to me. The number@messaging.sprintpcs.com works though. If I send him an SMS, he cannot reply to it as it only shows my number. So this is only a 1 1/2 way SMS solution....
    Ok...maybe on of the folks from PDAApps can answer this one.

1. Downloaded the App,
    2. Registered it.
    3. Authenticated succesffully.
    4. Initialized the app
    5. Got a succesful message advising the registration was ok.
    6. did a soft reset
    7. Opened the Treo SMS client and nothing. There was no change to the interface and nothing that allows me to send a sms message.

So, I did another soft reset, registered again and all went well and still nothing.

Any thoughts by any of the folks? Should I uninstall the Pdaapps SMS client and then reinstall it? Or do is there something Im missing here?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Originally posted by zflyr
    Ok...maybe on of the folks from PDAApps can answer this one.

1. Downloaded the App,
    2. Registered it.
    3. Authenticated succesffully.
    4. Initialized the app
    5. Got a succesful message advising the registration was ok.
    6. did a soft reset
    7. Opened the Treo SMS client and nothing. There was no change to the interface and nothing that allows me to send a sms message.

So, I did another soft reset, registered again and all went well and still nothing.

Any thoughts by any of the folks? Should I uninstall the Pdaapps SMS client and then reinstall it? Or do is there something Im missing here?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Your procedure sounds OK ... Sure you didn't see the small "New" icon in the lower left hand corner of the Treo SMS screen? That's the only thing that looks different.
    Nope..there is nothing at all different about the SMS screen. I open the treo sms client and then look for anything at all and nothing.

It seems for whatever reason there is nothing that has changed or for some reason it is not loading the change.
    Is the enable checkbox on the top of the form checked?
    check box is enabled..
    but funny thing is everytime I go back to the software the box is unenabled again so I recheck it and then reset it and then still nothing...
    go figure?
    Did you press the apply button after enabling the checkbox??
    None of the replies to the test generic SMS messages I've sent to other non PCS folks have come to me yet, and it's been from 2 to 8 hours. On the other hand, all the replies that come via short mail gateway (XXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com) have come to me, and right away. Seems like either the PDAApps proxy can't convert generic SMS to the gateway, or (more likely) Sprint's arcane short mail system can't deliver generic SMS (since it's never been able to, and I doubt that anything would have changed by introducing the PDAApps application).

But - I'd really like for folks who get my SMS, and who reply via SMS, to know that those replies are making it to me. Right now they're not.

Don't tell me about the gateway - I know about that; I just want to be able to send XXX-XXX-XXXX SMS messages, and for those replies to make it back to me. The e-mail gateway is too clunky for me, and too clunky for people to have to use that to reply to me. It's a Sprint issue really, so all this is pointless. 'night!
    Agree with last post, I am not understanding.

I've been trying to use my Treo 300 to send SMS since yesterday morning, to phone numbers or email addresses....both to other Sprint phones, other phones (AT & T) and regular email addresses like AOL.....and none ever got there.

I know it was installed correctly because I do have a "new" button in the lower left of the screen now.

Has anyone made this work just using a cell phone number? Messages I sent 24 hours ago never got to other Sprint phones.
    I finally got the linemgr.c error removed, but only by deleting a bunch of apps, including AIM. Then I did a hard reset and installed mo-sms. No error. I did not reinstall AIM, but I'll do so when I get a chance.

As for functionality, I haven't put it through any rigorous tests yet, but one thing that immediately struck me. If I email my phone, the SMS message shows up as Caller ID Unknown, so I can't reply! Has anybody else run into this?
    ...I see everyone else is as frustrated as I am about SMS capability. After reading the Mo-Bill-ity article, I'm inspired.

I'm sure SprintPCS has something in the works, but hasn't released it yet.

I suggest we all start a good old fashioned letter writing campaign to SprintPCS letting them know what we, their customers, want in SMS capability. I'm sure 1000 or 2000 emails from customers may increase the speed at which they figure out what the hell they are doing.

If anyone has a good email address of a person in high level management at SprintPCS, please post.

And everyone, voice your concerns to SPCS so they will get SMS right.
    I think I may have it...Notice when you enter the address, whether it's a number or an e-mail address and you go to the text entry portion of the screen, it looses a character before you send. Try typing the text of the message first and then go to the address line to enter the recipient and then hit send. I have been able to succesfully send to PCS phones using the number and e-mail addresses as well with almost instantaneous results.

A workaroud for what appears to be a bug.
    Just wanted to say 1) Sweeeeeeet! excellent job. Needs a little work but hev it's ver .01

Sprint ought to buy this off of you... I'll negotiate if you'd like.
    anyone else have inconsistency with msg length? Sometimes I only get 10-15 characters
    What is the max?
    I can't seem to get the new program to authenticate. I keep getting message "could not validate teh srpint pcs phone number and password entered, please check and try again."

any clues?

I never did change by originally assigned vision password. It works and with some of the posts about it messing up their provisioning, I didn't dare change it. Could that be it??
    finadvsr

Use whatever password gains you access to the site, preferably you wireless web password, whether it be the old one or the new (vision) one. I for one have never had the ability to obtain a vision password, everything seems to work fine without it.
    I want to send a sms to a verizon phone. What's the email address (like Sprint: "phone number @messaging.sprintpcs.com). What about Cingular, ATT, etc. (all other cellular carriers?)

Thanx
    phonenumber@vtext.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast