Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After downloading the new ringo beta I decided that I needed to get some new ring tones on my Treo300... I really wanted to be able to use standard midi files as my ring tones... So I went looking for something that would do the job... I found a nice little program called Palm MIDI Desktop 0.1 which you can pick up at palmgear.com... It allows you to open up the System_MIDI_Sounds.PDB and import new midi files into it... Then you just add the new PDB file to your install list and your new midi files are on your alarm list... From there you can use ringo to copy them over to use as ring tones... The first major problem I came across is that you can only use midi type 0... This is a palm thing and not the programs fault... So I did some searching and found a great little utility that will convert midi types... I used it to convert my Zelda.midi to type 0 and on I went... The program is called gnmidfmt and can be found at www.gnmidi.com . I converted the file along with some others to midi type 0 and then used Palm Midi desktop to get them on as alarms. When the files were converted the midi sound was not changed... Palm can only play Midi files using only basic voices and can't play two notes at the same time... Zelda.midi did have notes playing at the same time so when palm tried to play the file as an alarm it sounded odd... Next I used ringo to add the midi to my ring tone list and here is were I had some problems... While in ringo I tried to preview the file... This worked some times but not others... Sometimes I would get a couple of beeps then nothing and sometimes I would get a soft reset... I went ahead and tired the file as a ring tone and was delighted to find that it worked and not only did it work but when the phone rang it would play the file with multiple notes playing at the same time! The ring sounded almost like it did playing from the computer... I did try a few more midi files and some worked while others would just crash the system... The main thing I found was that if you try to use midi files that have complex voices they won't work... Also when I would choose the files in the ring preferences sometimes they would not play as a preview, but when the phone rings they do work! If you get the ring of your last chosen ring tone it's a good sign that the file is not going to work...

I hope this will help a few people out there! There are hundreds of great midi files out there and it looks like we can use them as ring tones!!!

Mobile BOB
    great info from mobile bob! Thanks! i downloaded both the programs mentioned and will be playing with them later. i also went to hotfiles.com (ZDNet's download site) and did a search under midi. i further refined it so it only showed freeware. i found several midi editors (anvil looks promising) and midi file groups. i will report back later on how i make out, but thought some other creative software junkies might like to try different things, maybe one will work better than another. i also plan in talking to a friend who is a keyboard player in a rock band, since i know he works a lot with midi... progress!
    Thanks for the great info... I downloaded palm desktop 0.1, but cannot get it to run... I read the directions and tried executing from the run command in XP and from my IE browser, but I cnat get it to run.... I also downloaded the java runtime environment, but still could not get it to run... how do you run the palm midi desktop software???

Thanks

-Ken
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by kencfii
    Thanks for the great info... I downloaded palm desktop 0.1, but cannot get it to run... I read the directions and tried executing from the run command in XP and from my IE browser, but I cnat get it to run.... I also downloaded the java runtime environment, but still could not get it to run... how do you run the palm midi desktop software???

Thanks

-Ken
    What I did was opened up a command window, then in that window went to the directory were palm desktop was. Then I copied the IE command that was in the PalmMidiDesktop.html "jview -cp:a PalmMidiDesktop.jar PalmMidiDesktop" and pasted it into the command window...
    Thats it... If that is not working what is your exact error message??

Mobile Bob
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info Bob. I've been using the Ringo app since about 5 minuates after I got the message from ElectricPocket.

I disagree about the single voice. Treo 300 is supposed to support polymorphic rintones. In fact, I believe it does. The "waterfall" ringer is an example of multi-voice MIDI.

So my question is, have you used the Palm MIDI Desktop 0.1 to convert a multi-voice MIDI file ? I'm going to try and answer my own question, but you sound like you've got it down so you might save me a few hours of my life.
    Bob

Thanks for the help... I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a command window? do you mean a dos command window?

Thanks
  7.    #7  
    Bob

Thanks for the help... I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a command window? do you mean a dos command window?

Thanks
    Sorry about that... Yes I do mean a dos command window... Command.com

Mobile Bob
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Thanks for the info Bob. I've been using the Ringo app since about 5 minuates after I got the message from ElectricPocket.

I disagree about the single voice. Treo 300 is supposed to support polymorphic rintones. In fact, I believe it does. The "waterfall" ringer is an example of multi-voice MIDI.

So my question is, have you used the Palm MIDI Desktop 0.1 to convert a multi-voice MIDI file ? I'm going to try and answer my own question, but you sound like you've got it down so you might save me a few hours of my life.
    I know my origional post was a little large and maybe a little hard to follow but I did say

"I went ahead and tired the file as a ring tone and was delighted to find that it worked and not only did it work but when the phone rang it would play the file with multiple notes playing at the same time! The ring sounded almost like it did playing from the computer..."

What I meant was that the Palm system can not play anything but single voice midi... If you try one that is not single voice (as an alarm or somthing) it will sound really weird, because it is only playing one note at a time... The ring tone playes from the cell phone side and does allow for polymorphic tones...

PLEASE NOTE:
    The more I have played with my new ring tones the more I realize that they are unstable... They work great when the phone rings and I haven't had a problem yet with them in that respect, but when I select them in the ringer preferences about 1 in 5 times it will cause a soft reset... I don't know why it does this, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems... Maybe someone out there can give us some guidlines on using these so they are more stable or maybe someone can create a fix!?

Hope that helps
    Mobile Bob
    Wow, great info. Two thoughts (hopes):

1. Bob, I know it's a lot to ask, but could you possibly create simple to follow, step by step instructions?
    2. Where is a good source for polyphonic tones?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I use the GeekSounds replacement for System_MIDI_Sounds... don't know if anyone else does but it's nice & it's free. Anyway, I tried to use PalmMidiDesktop to remove the sounds I don't like/use but it only reads the first 88 sounds in the file... does anyone else have a similar problem?
    I got ringo and pal midi desktop working, and was able to load a midi to the midid database and use ringo to get it as a ringtone and assign it, it played ok, but not great...... any way... now none of my ringers play at loud volume.... they are set to loaud and preview as loud, but when the phone actually rings it only rings in low volume..... I cannot get it back... looks like ringo screwed it up... I tried removing ringo and all ringo databases and re installed my backed up midi file database..... the strange thing is that when ringo is off the palm, it still shows some ringo ringer choices in the ringer list.... AND a temp-ringo ringer... no way to get rid of these either???? anyone have any ideas how to get my ringer volume back... I tried both hard and soft resets... help....
  12.    #12  
    I got ringo and pal midi desktop working, and was able to load a midi to the midid database and use ringo to get it as a ringtone and assign it, it played ok, but not great...... any way... now none of my ringers play at loud volume.... they are set to loaud and preview as loud, but when the phone actually rings it only rings in low volume..... I cannot get it back... looks like ringo screwed it up... I tried removing ringo and all ringo databases and re installed my backed up midi file database..... the strange thing is that when ringo is off the palm, it still shows some ringo ringer choices in the ringer list.... AND a temp-ringo ringer... no way to get rid of these either???? anyone have any ideas how to get my ringer volume back... I tried both hard and soft resets... help....
    Mine did the same thing for awhile then just stoped and went back to normal... If i'm not mistaken it got fixed after it did a soft reset...

Mobile Bob
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by csherman
    Wow, great info. Two thoughts (hopes):

1. Bob, I know it's a lot to ask, but could you possibly create simple to follow, step by step instructions?
    2. Where is a good source for polyphonic tones?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    I should be able to come up with a step by step, but first if anyone found any better programs to use please say so and I will use those instead... The programs I used were just the first ones I found...

As for the second request, I really just did a search on www.midifarm.com for some midi songs that I wanted...

Mobile Bob
    i got some old ringers i had downloaded with tc ringer and installed them and previewed them no prob into ringo. but when i preview them, they are very soft even on the "loud" setting. then when i go to ringer preferences only a few actually work. what gives? i guess this is beta but did they test ringo at all before releasing it?
    Hello,
    Following bob's instructions I got it all to work great on my treo 300. If there is still a demand for this I can write up a small step by step guide on exactly what I did to get this working.
    Dan
    I played around with this method of making ringtones a little and found that there appears to be a time and/or complexity limit to the MIDI files accepted by the Treo 300. If I chose MIDI files of no more than 3 seconds in duration they seemed to be stable. If I got more ambitious and tried to play longer tunes, I saw instability.

I would love to find out what other MIDI paramteres are applicable - I suspect that volume and velocity are active control channels. I also have heard drum-like sounds so I assume there is a GM MIDI sound set in there.
    After trial and error I have gotten midi's that are over 2mins and 30 seconds long to work.
    if you can post the step by step instructions, it would be appreciated.
    Love to see a step by step if you got polyphonic ringtones in there. Otherwise, not necessary....

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Here is one of the longer ones that I go to work:
    http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/to.../firstdate.mid

I'm not 100% sure if it's polyphonic(?) or not but it sounds great surprisingly on the treo 300.
    Dan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast