1.    #1  
    Is there a way to lock the external buttons on the Treo? I put the Treo in my pocket and don't want it to accidentally turn on.
    A lock would be nice - mine goes in my pocket too. There's a couple apps out there that allow the buttons to poll mail, and such w/ the lid closed - in my opinion that would be horrendous! I keep the buttons facing out, and have only pulled it out of my pocket a couple of times and had the screen lit.

Dunc
    There are a number of hacks that do something of this sort. I believe one is called "StayOffHack" or something of the sort. Look around on palmgear.com or handango.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    StayOffHack does not work on Treos. There's PowerOn, but that doesn't work 100% of the time.
    Originally posted by procure
    StayOffHack does not work on Treos. There's PowerOn, but that doesn't work 100% of the time.
    I wondered if your issue was just that you didn't realize that the demo version only works for 10 button presses and then deactivates itself, but that appears not to be it.

I purchased a copy (note you can only do this from the PalmGear page for the program -- the Handango page for the program falsely claims it's freeware, and the readme that comes with the demo just gives you the URL of a page that redirects to the PalmGear page (which in turn redirects to a Yahoo! page when you actually buy)), and even with the purchased copy, the software does seem to occasionally fail to turn the unit back off after a single button press.

However, I suspect what this is is that sometimes the buttons double-trigger if you don't take care when pressing them. Probably the author should fix the program to ignore any spurious second button presses for .3 seconds or something, and then watch for a real second button press for the next .7 seconds. Better yet would be if these two time periods were configurable. I'd email him to suggest this if I had the time right now. Perhaps when I get back from vacation.
    Oh, and in case anyone was wondering (as I was), assigning the application buttons to None with TreoButton doesn't stop the power from coming on when you press them (at least with PowerOn installed -- I didn't try this prior to installing it, though I suspect the behavior would be the same).
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I wondered if your issue was just that you didn't realize that the demo version only works for 10 button presses and then deactivates itself, but that appears not to be it.
    I have the registered version (only noticed the problem after I paid ). I emailed the developer, but never heard back . Then I emailed the developer for StayOffHack, and he sent me a beta version for the Treo. I've been using it for a few weeks now, and it works like a charm.
    Originally posted by procure

I have the registered version (only noticed the problem after I paid ). I emailed the developer, but never heard back . Then I emailed the developer for StayOffHack, and he sent me a beta version for the Treo. I've been using it for a few weeks now, and it works like a charm.
    Thanks for the update. I'll try emailing the PowerOn guy as well when I have a chance, and if I get no satisfaction, I'll look into that StayOffHack beta.