Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Happens to me, and I always have digital roaming disabled.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I also have roaming disabled.
    For what's it's worth, I've had the Treo 300 for over a month now and have NOT experienced this issue.

So most likely it's a unit-specific bug, or I'm not doing something you all are doing to trigger this bug. (btw, I'm a heavy Treo user...4000+ phone minutes a month and full calendar/to-do's, and probably over 30 third party apps on my Treo - including hacks using x-master)
  4.    #24  
    My guess is that treotim has a phone with newer firmware. When I do Options|Phone info on mine, I show the following:

PRL Rev: 10015
    Firmware Rev: 1.02
    PRI Checksum: 0xE236

Anyone else want to share theres? Treotim, I'd be especially interested in knowing what yours shows.

Thanks,

-lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    Larry,

I just checked and I've got the same exact firmware as you. Also, keep in mind I got my Treo 300 2 days after Sprint released them (around mid-August).

Tim
  6.    #26  
    'tim,

I'm assuming the problem is in the radio firmware, not the palm firmware.... primarily because when the radio hangs, the rest of the treo works just fine. The fact that you've really piled on the apps would seem to strengthen that theory.

Based on the extreme reliability of your unit, I'm thinking the problem might be being triggered by an incompatibility between base station and mobile - i.e. there's something not quite right being sent out by *some* base stations that causes the radios to crash under certain circumstances.

Approximately where are you located?

-lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    I'm located in Los Angeles, but travel regularly and have used my Treo in Houston, San Antonio, and San Francisco without issues...
  8.    #28  
    Go figure. I've had mine for about a month and have had it hang in NY three times, and once in Boston. But not once in the last 10 days or so.

BTW, you said you had about 30 apps in there - what are some of your favorite and/or most useful non-game apps?

-l
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    I am experiencing the same problem in Plano, TX. I bought my treo 2 weeks ago. My cube in the office has marginal reception, and if I leave the treo in my pocket for more than a few minutes, it looses coverage and cannot find it again without a soft-reset. This is _very_ repeatable. If I leave it on my desk instead, it works fine.

Interestingly, a co-worker in the next cube also has a treo 300, and does not experience the problem. I don't know if that proves anything, as the signal strength in our office varies quite a bit with position--even with just a few feet difference.

I have not yet developed the will or courage to try to explain this to CS.
    I have one question for you all: is your Treo "crashed" when this happens? I.e., can you still access your Datebook and other apps?

If it didn't "crash", I remember reading in the manual somewhere that the Treo goes into some sort of sleep mode when it can't find a signal for a significant amount of time (something like 15 minutes). IIRC, if it goes into sleep mode, it'll only come out after another 15 minutes to "sniff" for a signal, and if it doesn't find it, it'll go back to sleep mode. But during the time it's in sleep mode, it doesn't automatically come out when the signal returns...I think.

Keep us posted, if I encounter this problem as well I'll let you know. (Heading into the boonies of North Carolina this weekend, let's see if there's a signal there... )
    Originally posted by ajchenmph
    If it didn't "crash", I remember reading in the manual somewhere that the Treo goes into some sort of sleep mode when it can't find a signal for a significant amount of time (something like 15 minutes). IIRC, if it goes into sleep mode, it'll only come out after another 15 minutes to "sniff" for a signal, and if it doesn't find it, it'll go back to sleep mode. But during the time it's in sleep mode, it doesn't automatically come out when the signal returns...I think.
    Mine does not crash. I do not recall if I have ever left it for more than 15 minutes after it looses signal before resetting. I will experiment further.

I do believe that an earlier poster noticed the problem lasting for hours.
    This has happened to me as well. I would expect that with as many Treo users reporting this problem that a software fix would solve the problem. I'd be willing to go to the Sprint store to have this done if they can identify the problem.

Mark
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ajchenmph
    I have one question for you all: is your Treo "crashed" when this happens? I.e., can you still access your Datebook and other apps?

Can anyone confirm this? I just skimmed through the manual and didn't see anything like this.
    I was able to try two tests this afternoon. In the first test, the treo found the network after about 5 minutes. In the second, it was not able to find the network for 30 minutes, at which time I needed to make a call and reset it.

I suspect in the first trial, I had not managed to trigger the bug. The second case seems to disprove the idea that the problem is a 15 minute retry window in powersaver mode. I suppose it could be larger window, but 30 minutes does not seem like a sane choice for that sort of thing.

It is also interesting to note that, during the 30 minute test, the battery level dropped rapidly. It went from almost full to half full. I have not yet gotten a good enough feel for the battery indicator on the Treo to know if that means anything or not.
  15.    #35  
    I can't seem to find that in the manual - if you could cite a page #, I'd appreciate it. And actually, this sounds like a classical example of taking a bug, dressing it up, and calling it a feature.

When the radio hangs, the rest of the treo (Palm OS) functions work just fine.

Mine hasn't done this laterly. But when it does it, it can sit in a good signal area forever (or at least for a heckuva lot longer than 15 minutes), and it won't come back.

-l
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    Did anyone ever get a solution to this bug?? I just started recently encountering the same issue. If my phone loses coverage for some extended period of time (e.g., 10 minutes), it can't find a signal until I do a soft reset. I can't think of any apps I've added to my Treo that would cause this issue. Any help would be appreciated...
    Last edited by treotim; 12/01/2002 at 12:07 PM.
    I have only had this problem once. It happened within the first week of owning the Treo. My office has notoriously bad reception, but my experience with the Treo had been wonderful. My old phone would continously drop calls but the Treo didn't seem to have any problems. Then one day I came back to my desk and the Treo had lost the signal. Of course, it had to happen when I was showing off my new phone to a co-worker. No matter what I did I couldn't get the darn thing to pick up the signal. I went outside the building and turned the wireless mode off and on again. Nothing worked. I figured I woould give it some time o come back. Finally, that night I did a soft reset and no more problems.

This was about 3-4 weeks ago and I haven't had the problem since. My feel is that the Treo has great overall reception, but if for some reason it loses the signal it is horrible at regain the signal. I think I have been lucky that I haven't loss the signal recently.

Because this hasn't happen again I haven't called support. Ialso had no idea that this was a wide spread problem. Thanks for bringing this thread back. I am curious if this problem as resolved for others.
  18.    #38  
    I haven't seen this problem recently at all, but the one I've seen now is when I crank up Blazer and try to browse, about 20% of the time, Palm OS will crash, returning me to the palm logo, and requiring me to turn the radio on again. No obvious correlation to specific web sites or state of the battery charge; about half the time another try will work, the other half I have to wait a few hours and try again.

I'm sure it's related to *something*; just can't tell what.

Read my nasty comments about the unit at http://www.epinions.com/content_82383638148

If I didn't have the hassle of the service contract, and there was a decent alternative, this thing would go back. Good news - by the time the year is up, there should be some decent alternatives out there.
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12