1.    #1  
    I'm sure by the time anybody reaches the boards, they've seen the headline on the VC homepage about Handspring giving a half-assurance about a HS-sanctioned version of Palm Desktop 4 for OSX. I don't know about anyone else, but personally, I'm sick of waiting. Between HS orphaning the Springboard (and alienating many Visor users in the process), their unfathomable focus (read: full-court press at the expense of all their other products) on the Treo line, and the way they've been dragging their feet on the OSX issue, I've pretty much decided that, barring an act of God or a major technological advance from HS that ISN'T grafted to a phone, if I ever get rid of my Prism, my next PDA will not be a Handspring. Anyone else feel this way?
    What do you think, Sirs?
    I don't even use a Mac and I agree with you....
    - Don -
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"
  3. AMB
    The great thing about a Mac is that it can do anything and everything Windoze can do and much more...

Years ago I purchased virtual PC for just over $100. It lets you get around all compability issues. I just drag and drop non-mac files into virtual pc and everything works wonderfully.

To me the issue isn't that a Mac can't run Windoze software it is that Windoze can't run Mac software.
    After buying three devices from Handspring and a fistful of springboards, I have reached the end of my fascination with them. When you consider that they don't design the hardware or software, don't design or develop the desktop app, don't design or develop the conduits, made only two springboards internally, and still continue to lose bags of money, you can only ask, when will their string run out. Another dot.bomb.

The Treo is a disappointment. Who can type on that thing? The software is basically Visorphone software from what I can tell. My Visorphone was a failure - too fragile for daily use. I'm back to basic PIM use on my Prism and waiting for the real answer, instead of paying more big bucks for beta testing these experiments.
    These are pretty bold statements for a guy that never actually owned a Treo Communicator.

The Treo is the best Smartphone on the market right now ..hands down. It is a much better than the VisorPhone.

Handspring created three Springboards inhouse to demonstrate the capabilities of the unit. I dont think they wanted to get into the Springboard business at all -- they wanted other companies to do that.

A lot of companies contract out designs etc for their devices. Unless you are a behemoth such as Sony, you have to do this to cut costs. The most important part is the R&D and marketing anyways.

Originally posted by dtplink
    After buying three devices from Handspring and a fistful of springboards, I have reached the end of my fascination with them. When you consider that they don't design the hardware or software, don't design or develop the desktop app, don't design or develop the conduits, made only two springboards internally, and still continue to lose bags of money, you can only ask, when will their string run out. Another dot.bomb.

The Treo is a disappointment. Who can type on that thing? The software is basically Visorphone software from what I can tell. My Visorphone was a failure - too fragile for daily use. I'm back to basic PIM use on my Prism and waiting for the real answer, instead of paying more big bucks for beta testing these experiments.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I ask myself why did you guys wait to use PD 4.0. I started using it the day it came out from Palm with a Visor and a couple of Treos and have not looked back.

Let's be positive here - we all love the gadgets and especially a small company creating innovative products against all the odds against monster consumer competitors like Sony and the big cell-phone manufacturers. Two years ago I would have blamed them for delays but in a recession and with a readily available alternate download....

PS I know that T90 had no free alternate download but there is and was The Missing Sync.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    I ask myself why did you guys wait to use PD 4.0. I started using it the day it came out from Palm with a Visor and a couple of Treos and have not looked back.
    Who waited? I downloaded it as soon as I could as well. But it's been inconsistant in its sync success. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs, sometimes it doesn't even acknowledge I've got a cradle plugged in.

Let's be positive here - we all love the gadgets and especially a small company creating innovative products against all the odds against monster consumer competitors like Sony and the big cell-phone manufacturers. Two years ago I would have blamed them for delays but in a recession and with a readily available alternate download....
    I've tried to be positive, and I've tried to defend HS in these forums and everywhere else, but frankly, I think HS lost sight of the market they sought to serve.

The Visor line was an innovation and a wake up call for Palm hardware manufacturers that the PalmOS could do so much more beyond Palm's original hardware. Visorphone built on that innovation. But look at HS's track record for the last year or so: first, we get two new Visor models (Neo and Pro) which are marginal improvements on the models they replaced (VDX and Platnium, respectively); then, the Treo shows up, and any hope for an improved or updated Prism vanishes. Yes, the Treos are exceptional smartphones, but they're evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Over and above everything else, I don't want a smartphone. I have an excellent cell phone in my Motorola V60c. I don't want to replace it with something so large I can't even fit it in my pocket, let alone wear it on my belt. And I certainly don't want a PDA designed to be the ******* son of said smartphone.

I love my Prism. I was hoping that HS would continue to develop that product so that, after two or three years, I would be able to upgrade to a version of the Prism half as thick and with all the new capabilities of the newer PalmOS versions. (Something along the lines of what Sony has managed to do - build on a marginal first product into a first-rate product line that is constantly innovating, like HS used to do.) But HS is seemingly saying that they don't want my type of business anymore. That's my $0.02, anyway.
    What do you think, Sirs?
    Hey just want to know what are the new features of palm desktop 4.0 for Macintosh?? I don't know if I should upgrade just yet.
    Cheers
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    then, the Treo shows up, and any hope for an improved or updated Prism vanishes. Yes, the Treos are exceptional smartphones, but they're evolutionary, not revolutionary.
    So you're complaining that the Treos aren't innovative or "revolutionary" enough, but you wanted them to simply improve the Prism instead? Not to be a jerk, but isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

I think the Treos are wonderful devices, and, as stated earlier, are better than anything else in their class right now. That being said, if you're not interested in that kind of product, (communicator as opposed to straight PDA) I can totally understand why you want to move on from Handspring. After all, Handspring has moved on from you.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by mrjoec

So you're complaining that the Treos aren't innovative or "revolutionary" enough, but you wanted them to simply improve the Prism instead? Not to be a jerk, but isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

I think the Treos are wonderful devices, and, as stated earlier, are better than anything else in their class right now. That being said, if you're not interested in that kind of product, (communicator as opposed to straight PDA) I can totally understand why you want to move on from Handspring. After all, Handspring has moved on from you.
    I'll cop to the fact that I should have qualified my statement. My feeling is this - the Treos are evolutionary based on the other SmartPhones on the market, where as the Prism was the first of its kind. A second-generation Prism didn't necessarilly have to be JUST evolutionary; just like the Edge wasn't JUST evolutionary. The Edge took the existing notion of the Visor and turned it on its ear. I'm not saying it wasn't a flawed design in certain aspects, but it had the virtue of never having been tried. Handspring could have tried something similar with the Prism mkII - if they had done virtual graphiti, a thinner form factor or a built-in camera one year ago, say, they would have beaten Sony to market. (I think. Don't hold me to that date.)

Don't get me wrong - I've played with the Treo in stores, and I'm impressed with the level of integration HS has achieved. But as you so accurately noted, Handspring has seemly moved on from the faithful market of PDA-only users that helped make Handspring a force in the industry in the first place.

And, in all honesty, if I WERE to get a communicator/smartphone, I'd go for the Danger Hiptop. Damn, that thing is nice.
    What do you think, Sirs?