1.    #1  
    Okay, I know for a fact this has been discussed but I get lost in threads sometimes. As you may well know, I finally got my Vision data to work and it rocks. What I want now is a few questions answered:

1) What is POP mail? Where can I get it?

2) Where can I get an e-mail application that has access to my address book? I keep seeing the name "Eudora". Is that any good?

3) Does the AOL PQA work with Vision?

Sorry if this is another redundant e-mail thread. Thanks.
    1) What is POP mail? Where can I get it?

It is the type of account that most ISPs make available to their customers e.g. <yourname>@earthlink.com. You use a POP3 client to fetch your mail. POP = Post Office Protocol. Some ISPs/mail services are not POP3 compliant like AOL and HotMail. Most POP3 servers use SMTP (Small Mail Transport Protocol) to send emails and some offer the optional but over-chatty IMAP for sending mail. A mail client generally incoporates POP3 and SMTp functionality in one application.

Sending SMTP email can be tricky where you are using Sprint as your ISP. The SPAM protections on your email server may prevent you from sending emails via Sprint to your ISPs email server. Ask your ISP what you need - generally all you need to do is choose an email client that supports either SMTP authentication (a preference you turn on) or a mail server that requires you to check your mail before you send.

2) Where can I get an e-mail application that has access to my address book? I keep seeing the name "Eudora". Is that any good?

Eudora is a very good POP3/SMTP email client and it also is free from www.eudora.com. For the Treo 300 this is a good choice and apprently it works with the Sprintpcs email account provided with your service.

Most other email applications do the same things. Some have suport for multiple accounts but you sound like you have basic needs for now.

3) Does the AOL PQA work with Vision?

Go to Handango and get the latest version of the AOL client - it costs $19.95 but it is well worth it as it is designed to use the 3G type of network. It is AOL mail and AIM together. You dont need PQA support to use this.

If you prefer a free option. Get the Palm VII download from the AOL Anywhere site and install the Palm OS 3.5 updater for web clipping. This works well on the Treo 300 but is not as elegant as the new commercial version. The PRC version of AOL Anywhere crashes on Treo 300 on the 3G network as it is solely designed for dial-up use.

Using PQAs on Treo and other non-Palm VII devices