Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my 300 for about 3 weeks. At one point, I installed TreoButton. Used it, liked it. All good. About a week ago, I noticed that the phone hard button would not scroll thru the dialpad and contacts, call log, etc, when pressed repeatedly. I thought that perhaps TreoButton was the culprit, and took it off. That didn't fix it, so I put it back on. When I press the phone button repeatedly, just the initial speed dial list shows again and again. The only way I can get the other screens to show is to press the 'shift' button at the same time as the phone hard button. I decided to go ahead and remove the TreoButton app, just to see if that would do any good at all. Still no change.
    So - I'm plugging along, doin' the deal, and then I notice that the Blazer hard button starts to show the same behavior. Upon pressing the button twice, which should pop up the first screen of bookmarks, it just gives the same view as pressing the button once. I check to see if hitting the 'shift' button at the same time as the Blazer hard button would make bookmarks show - and sure enough, that gets it to work.

Soooo - here's the question: Anyone else notice this same thing? I don't have TreoButton installed, nor any other button manager. I also removed TreoAlert Manager. I'm clueless, and wondering if I'm alone with this behavior. I know a hard reset will probably fix it, but the pain of that is not worth the inconvenience of having to mash two buttons at the same time to scroll views.

Anyone at all? Bueller?
    Nice to hear someone else has this problem. I am also using Treo button and (I think) when I swapped the buttons Date Book+ and PhoneBook were using, I lost the ability to change views by pressing the PhoneBook (now the second from the left) button.

I can still change from bookmarks to browser view using the Blazer hard button and I can still change my Date Book+ view using the (now first button from the left) hard button.

Seems that for me only the PhoneBook app is changed.

I actually thought this might be a quirk of moving it to another button. I know it *shouldn't* have any effect, but I just dismissed it as a minor bug. I tried re-assigning PhoneBook back to its original button but it still doesn't allow me to change views by repeatedly pressing the hard button.

Ideas?
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
  3.    #3  
    The strange thing about my problem is that I don't have TreoButton installed any more, and also that another button is exhibiting the non-scroll/push thing.

It's not like it's a huge deal, but it IS somewhat bothersome to have to hold down the shift key to get the buttons to function as they're supposed to. I have no doubt that the problem is self-induced, probably due to some other software I've installed; I just wish I could narrow down the cause...
    Ah ha! So I'm not going mad! I have the same problem, but I have never installed Treo Button. But I have installed, and was thinking this was the problem, Take Phone. I removed Take Phone while trying to debug another issue (TreoAlertManager fiasco) so it's no longer installed - but I was thinking that perhaps I didn't remove all of it and it was affecting things. Are you guys running, or have you run, Take Phone?

Dunc
    A friend of mine who also has a Treo and also uses TreoButton does NOT have this problem. The only difference I can see is that they are not using "Enable Shift Launch" while for a time I was, but I'm not right now. Maybe it's unrelated though...

I have never used TakePhone
    Last edited by alex_t_king; 09/18/2002 at 11:20 AM.
  6.    #6  
    I installed TakePhone, and then removed it later. There's got to be some sort of conflict somewhere that's causing this. Maybe TreoAlertMgr, or TreoButton, or TakePhone, or something. Or some combination of remaining lib files or some such.

Beats me.
    Me too!! I had TakeToPhone on there as well, and had removed it. Sounds like Shimon rigged it so we all have to buy his product!!

This is weird. I am going through all the files using FILEZ and will try and pin down the culprit.

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I don't want to say "can't" but I'd be surprised if the culprit was TakePhone since I have never installed it.
    It started working for me, damned if I know why....

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Craig
    It is seriously annoying to have to pull out the stylus to (get to the second screen view) dial by hand...

You have *any* idea what you might have done that fixed it?
    hmm, is anyone else here using ClockPop hack? I just disabled it and I got my button switching back.

After diabling it, I reassigned it to another button and enabled it again, my switching still works.

SlowLaunch seems to conflict if is assigned to the hard button as well. As long as no "long press" hacks are set to the phone button, the switching seems to work for me. Odd that Date Book+ switches just fine with SlowLaunch or ClockPop assigned to the same button.

Possibly the conflict is because if the PhoneBook button is pressed and held, it redials the last number dialed?

--Alex
    Last edited by alex_t_king; 09/18/2002 at 05:26 PM.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    It is seriously annoying to have to pull out the stylus to (get to the second screen view) dial by hand...

You have *any* idea what you might have done that fixed it?
    I wish I did. Other than removing TakePhone and a few hard resets from other issues, now it's working. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Craig
    Originally posted by csherman
    Sounds like Shimon rigged it so we all have to buy his product!! Craig
    Oh I wish I could...

To the point: What TAKEphONE does with the "Phone" button, is just redirecting it to launch TAKEphONE when pressed (if the user chosses to):

- If the user chooses to launch TAKEphONE when pressing the "Phone" button, then the first press will launch TAKEphONE (the Palm OS takes care of that), then a second press makes TAKEphONE (which is running) launch the built-in Treo dialer app.
    Another press at this stage will cause the OS to laucnh TAKEphONE again, so the "Phone" button actually toggles between TAKEphONE and the built-in phone app.

- If the user chooses NOT to assign the "Phone" button to TAKEphONE, then TAKEphONE has NO CONTROL on that button unless it is the running app. so - if the built-in phone app is running - it should do the 4-screen loop.

TAKEphONE has NO CONTROL over how the built-in app handles presses on the "Phone" button - so I do not think it is the source of this !!!

All TAKEphONE does is change a system preference as to what application is launched upon pressing the "Phone" button.

ANYWAY - I have found (on other circumstances) that to restore behaviour of hardware buttons, the best way is to launch the "Prefs." application, select the "Buttons" form (top-right), and tap the "Default" button. Try this...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Hi all,

I played around with my Palm Emulator, and my Treo 270 ROM, and I think I got to the bottom of this !!!

Here's what you can do:
    1. Choose ANY application, one that you do NOT NEED.
    2. Install it on your Treo.
    3. Using the "Prefs." application, assign the "Phone" button to launch it.
    4. Now if you press the "Phone" button - it will launch this app.

5. Delete this new (un-needed) application.
    6. The PalmOS registry now hold an illegal value - a non-existing application is assigned to the "Phone" button !

7. If you press the "Phone" button now - the OS will detect the app does not exist, and launch the built-in phone s/w (default behaviour - I guess). It will even show "PhoneBook" as the assigned app. in the "Prefs." application.

8. BUT - since the illegal application ID is still there in the registry - the "PhoneBook" s/w does not know how to handle presses of the "Phone" button while it is running:
    My guess is it detects the "Phone" press, and tests that registry value - if the button is assigned to itself - it loops through the 4 screens, if not (which is the case right now) - it will dispatch the event back to the OS, which - in the absence of the deleted application - will launch "PhoneBook" again, so the same screen will show again and again.

SOLUTION: Launch the "Prefs." application, and re-assign the "phone" button to the "PhoneBook" application (even though it IS written there).
    Shimon Shnitzer
    This may definitely solve some situations - nice detective work!

However if you are using a hack that is activated on a "long press" or "press and hold" on the same button you are using for the PhoneBook, it still won't work - at least according to my testing.

Tested with ClockPop Hack and SlowLaunch using X-Master.
    Excellent! That solved it. Makes total sense, I had TakePhone installed and mapped to that button and then I deleted it. Glad to have my button back!

Dunc
    This may definitely solve some situations - nice detective work!

However if you are using a hack that is activated on a "long press" or "press and hold" on the same button you are using for the PhoneBook, it still won't work - at least according to my testing.

Tested with ClockPop Hack and SlowLaunch using X-Master.
    Do you mean the 4-screen loop does not work, or the hack does not work ?

If it is the hack, than my guess would be it is related to the way the PhoneBook s/w handles the "Phone" button event...
    Shimon Shnitzer
  18.    #18  
    Mapping back to default under 'Prefs' and then remapping as needed has fixed it for me. I really appreciate it. As the thread starter, it's very gratifying to see the power of the greater community, and how we're all interested in improving the experience for others.

Power to the People! (ok, a little dramatic, but you get the point)
    The hacks work as they are supposed to (performing some action when a button is pressed and held down), but when they are sharing the same button the PhoneBook app is mapped to, then they seem to prevent the PhoneBook app from switching views by repeatedly pressing the key.

As I noted before, these hacks do not interfere with changing views via repeated hard-key press in Date Book+ or Blazer.

PhoneBook already has a behavior on a long hard-key press, re-dialing the last dialed number. I'm guessing that somehow it is checking to see if there is a long key press in the same code that switches the views and that "long key press code" is failing because of the hacks.

Is that a reasonable guess? Or am I just shooting in the dark here?
    Is that a reasonable guess? Or am I just shooting in the dark here?
    Seems to me you ARE right.

So it seems those hacks can NOT be assigned to the same button as PhoneBook...
    Shimon Shnitzer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast