Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I must be doing something wrong!

My battery life is no where close to the spec. Today when I left the house, the battery indicator showed a full battery. When I left work and tryed to call home, the machine was completely dead.
    This is the second time in 1 week that this has happend.
    This is the second Treo 300 device (I took the original back within one week for the same reason and Sprint swapped for a new one, but said that would be the only swap. (I bought the original one on 8/25 at a Sprint store in Columbus, Ohio)

I do NOT make very many calls ... maybe .. 2 minutes total a day on average. I have yet to use the data capability. Today I did not use the device at all between 8AM and 5PM.

I like every thing about the Treo300 EXCEPT the battery life. I have not seen any other complaints on this BBS, ...so... it must be me!

Any Ideas??
    Originally posted by oldguy
    My battery life is no where close to the spec. Today when I left the house, the battery indicator showed a full battery. When I left work and tryed to call home, the machine was completely dead.
    Are you in service at work? I have found that with most any cell phone that when you are out of service range or roaming, you can exhaust a battery in a matter of 5 or 6 hours... and that isn't even using it... The phone just uses more energy trying to hunt down a good signal.

I charge mine and when in coverage I get a good 2+ days with periodic daytime calls before it needs to revisit the charger.

- Robert
    - Robert
    With phones, battery life is tied very closely to signal strength. What is the typical time you find you can go between charges? How many bars (signal strength) do you usually have on the indicator?

I've found that in the SF Bay area I am getting 2+ days of standby/data/a few calls on a single charge plus a minute or two charge here and there from syncing.

Also, I've noticed that on the 2nd or 3rd day of a charge, if I'm on the phone for a while the battery will drop pretty quickly. 20-30 minutes will take it from 90% to 45-55% easily.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by robertv

Are you in service at work? I have found that with most any cell phone that when you are out of service range or roaming, you can exhaust a battery in a matter of 5 or 6 hours... and that isn't even using it... The phone just uses more energy trying to hunt down a good signal.
    - Robert
    That might just be the problem. I am in a fringe area and frequently have the 'No service' indicator

Generally at work I have the best signal (within a couple miles of a sprint tower), but at home or around town, I usually do not have more than 2 bars. (I do not live in Columbus)

I guess I will have to turn the phone part off until I need to make a call

Thanks for the response.
    I spend a lot of time in areas with either one bar or no bars (and ocasionally no service at all). I typically get 2 days of battery life with about 30-60 minutes of calls, 20-30 e-mails, and 15-30 minutes of web browsing during that period. It might be worth spending some time on hold with Sprint. Just be sure to call straight to level 2 support (no Claire: 877.228.2257) or to "device service" (for handsets: 888.211.4727). Good luck!
    I had something similar happen. It's associated, I think, with being always connected to the Internet (perhaps the browser trying to refresh on some pages).

What works for me is to set my browser and email to automatically disconnect after use. Since I've done that, no more problem.

YMMV!
    Kami
  7. Puk
    I've had something interesting happen wtih my battery a few times. My battery life is usually pretty good. If I don't talk much, I can go a few days (as advertised) without charging. If I'm talking or using a lot of data, I only get a few hours (again, as advertised).

A couple of times, however, I have turned my phone screen off when I'm not doing anything (and battery is near full), come back an hour later, and the found the battery near empty. Although the signal power is fine, I've noticed when this happens that the network arrows icon on the signal are stuck green. Usually this is only green when sending/receiving, and turns back to gray after a few idle seconds. I get it out of this state by briefly using the network for anything.

Maybe the Treo can get stuck in a state where it's wasting signal sending/receiving nothing (or garbage)? Anyone else experience this? Have you checked your connection indicator when having this battery drains?

-Puk

p.s. Scary. I just ran nmap on my phone's IP which I grabbed from a host I ssh'd into (different than the one listed in prefs->network), and my network light went solid green. Is this a possible DOS/DOB(batter)/DOM(money)? Can't tell until we have some way to see our data usage.

Also interesting, the IP of my phone seems to reverse resolve in dns, but not forward resolve. Wacky setup, but it almost makes sense (since some services require reverse resolution before they allow connections, but no one really needs to connect in to the phone, at least as of yet).
    I had a similar experience with my 270 - battery life was shocking, I could barely last a day.
    People gave me a bunch of bat saving tips
    1- turn beam receive off
    2- keep the brightness on your screen down if you use the pda a lot

The thing that made the most difference for me was when I took my 270 away for a long weekend. It died completely (equivalent to a hard reset I suspect) and on my return I also ran the dropped calls patch.

Battery life has been fine (2-3 days) ever since.
  9.    #9  
    Quote: A couple of times, however, I have turned my phone screen off when I'm not doing anything (and battery is near full), come back an hour later, and the found the battery near empty.

Quote: Maybe the Treo can get stuck in a state where it's wasting signal sending/receiving nothing (or garbage)? Anyone else experience this?

Quote: I spend a lot of time in areas with either one bar or no bars (and ocasionally no service at all). I typically get 2 days of battery life with about 30-60 minutes of calls, 20-30 e-mails, and 15-30 minutes of web browsing during that period.

I was getting about 2+day between charges but then the 'dead in a couple hours' thing hit me twice in one week

I had a progam stick and run batteries down a couple times on my old Palm3xe and traced it to a faulty program. Maybe there is a similar 'bug' in the Treo 300 op- system??

Both of the last 2 times the unit drained the batteries, I know the last program/function that I accessed was the phone function screens

I have noticed that when I get a 'no service' message that sometimes it will not reconnect even in a known good area. I have found that a 'soft reset' will usually allow a reconnect.

This make any sense to anyone??

Edit: Hopefully this will be more readable
    Last edited by oldguy; 09/18/2002 at 08:06 PM.
    I am finding that my treo doesn't last longer than 2 days of about 30-40 mins. of calls without charging...anybody know of an extended battery in the works? Not sure where it would plug in except in the hotsync/charger area since there isn't a card slot.

thanks,

g
    I'm using SilverScreen on a trial basis. It has a battery indicator. I've only been using my Treo for a few days, now. The lights been green for for the past 30 minutes, but SilverScreen indicates only a 72% charge? Anyone know how accurate these charge indicators are?
    t2
    Originally posted by oldguy

I have noticed that when I get a 'no service' message that sometimes it will not reconnect even in a known good area. I have found that a 'soft reset' will usually allow a reconnect.
    Service providers often have off-times where the carrier signal will just stop for 10-15 seconds and then you get full signal back. I have seen this with Sprint and VoiceStream.

Almost seems like they are rebooting or something...
    - Robert
    In case you missed Walter Mossberg's review of the Treo 300 in the WSJ, it sounds like a clip-on battery is coming before year's end. I hope it just clips onto the bottom and doesn't run all the way up the back . . .
    Enabling roaming also eats up a lot of battery life in weak signal areas. Disable roaming.
    What is everyone's experience with battery life and using Business Connect to get your email?

I have mine set to synchronize every 1 hour.

I've experienced the same thing everyone has mentioned. I had my Treo sitting in the cradle the entire afternoon. It was fully charged when I left for dinner around 6pm. I finished dinner at 10:30pm and the battery was completely drained. I didn't make or take a single phone call. I do keep the Treo in my pocket (rather than in a holster) so it's possible that the buttons turned it on.
    I recently switched over from a pocket pc phone and have been really disappointed with the treo battery life, too. PPC sucks in many ways, but seems to have smarter management when it comes to screen brightness.

For example
    - You can set the backlight to automatically turn off after predetermined timeout. You just tap on the screen or hit a hardware button to re-light

- The screen can be set to go completely dark during a call

By contrast, it appears that the treo backlight is on by default and the screen *can't* be shut off during a call.
    try using this program it allows you to slow down or speed up the cpu on your treo (the higher you set it-max:46mhz, min:22mhz-your cpu goes the quicker it runs and the more it eats the battery. i can only assume the opposite is true as well) here you can download the trial http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...0&platformId=1 this may help save some juice as you'll hardly notice the speed difference in cpu. you don't really need that much speed anyway unless you're surfing the web or playing a game (you can make those higher aand keep the rest low)...
    Originally posted by paulshu
    I recently switched over from a pocket pc phone and have been really disappointed with the treo battery life, too. PPC sucks in many ways, but seems to have smarter management when it comes to screen brightness.

For example
    - You can set the backlight to automatically turn off after predetermined timeout. You just tap on the screen or hit a hardware button to re-light

- The screen can be set to go completely dark during a call

By contrast, it appears that the treo backlight is on by default and the screen *can't* be shut off during a call.
    Try using Glowhack (you can download at Palmgear). You can set it to light the keyboard and dim the screen between certain hours. In my case, from sunset to sun rise.
    Originally posted by treotim
    Enabling roaming also eats up a lot of battery life in weak signal areas. Disable roaming.
    Ok, I'll bite... how do you disable "Roaming" on a single-band Treo 300?
    On the Treo's speed dial page: choose options, and then select "call preferences."

You will see a button allowing you to enable or disable digital roaming.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 10/03/2002 at 08:01 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast