1.    #1  
    I just called sprint because i had to change my service plan to include more anytime minutes. The guy told me that if i change my plan I will lose the 3months free vision deal.... that sucks!!!... he also told me that there is no way for me to check how much data I am using until i get my bill..... does that seem right? I don't think so........

does anyone know of a way to track the data usage? or has anyone got a bill that shows how much data they have used?
    Originally posted by briguy33
    he also told me that there is no way for me to check how much data I am using until i get my bill..... does that seem right? I don't think so........

Sorry to disappoint, but your bill will NOT tell you your data usage at this time.
    I wonder if they really have a way to track usage now anyways..... I think they are doing unlimited data because their billing systems are not in place yet....

they still can't get their website working for customers who went from 2G to 3G.....
    I think that it's a safe bet that if you change your plan you'll still get the free data - because they have absolutely no way of tracking and billing your data usage!

Dunc
    If they can't tell you how much data you have used, I'd complain till my voice went out that I wasn't paying any overage. They HAVE to supply a mechanism for you to check your account.

Nobull
    Originally posted by nobull
    If they can't tell you how much data you have used, I'd complain till my voice went out that I wasn't paying any overage. They HAVE to supply a mechanism for you to check your account.

Nobull
    While they probably are having issues tracking data as some have said, do they really HAVE TO "supply a mechanism for you to check your account"? That's what the bill at the end of the month is for.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm just playing "Sprint advocate" although I want a way to track data too and would be willing to press my congressman to propose a law about it. But currently Sprint does not HAVE TO give you a way to track data usage do they? I mean it's very nice to have, but I'm not sure it's a violation of any current law to not provide it till you get a bill at the end of the month.

I mean, my home long-distance provider does not have to tell me how many minutes I've used on their web site. I remember the first cell phones never told anyone how much time they had used. You just had to try and time it yourself or use a timer built into the phone.
    No, you're right they have no requirement to tell you what you're using. But it's going to bite them, because they're going to **** everyone off with it. Giving everyone 3 months free data, and not telling them what they're using... Nobody has any way of planning ahead and getting in the right plan prior to that fourth bill. I bet everyone gets socked with huge charges.

Dunc
    This is ridiculous. New service, no experience, no metering. How are users to know when to stop using it, if they do exceed their plan limitations? The device can't, Sprint can't how are the users to? If Sprint can not provide that service, the data usage, then I should NOT be able to go past this limitation. If I signed up for 8 meg. Give me 8 meg. If I try to use it after that I should be notified that I will charged additional dollars to do that. Your phone analogy is off base. When you sign up for long distance you are NOT signing up for a limited plan. You are signing up to access the LD carrier and you are responsible for tracking your call time and duration. I liken the data plan number of 8 meg to having a phone card that allows, for example, 20 hours of talk time and NO more until you buy another card.
    MRL-MO
    mlemke - My comparison may be off-base, but my point is the same. Legally Sprint does not have to provide you a method to track your usage. (Show me the law that says otherwise and I'd be happy to throw it in Sprint's face, because I want tracking too.)

I hope they offer a method REAL SOON. If they do not, then for the good of all future wireless users we should band together and press lawmakers and/or law enforcement to do something.
    when i said have to i meant fo me they have to provide a mrthod of metering before I would pay any overages
    re: long dist I can get my usage online or call cust service and they give it to me. if sprint cannot, they obviously don't know how to track it...so why pay it unless they can give you proof? has anyone received a data bill with EVERY data use logged? if they sent you a phone bill for $2000, you would just pay it no questions asked? get real...you would look at all the calls made and see what the hell happened. if they can not provide it, how do WE all know we are not being overcharged. loo at it that way and they HAVE to provide documentation of how it was used...right? be logical.
    nobull
    nobull
    And I'm saying that yes they should provide that information, but currently they are only required to provide it when they give you your bill. So I agree that if they charge you for an overage that they should provide details with your bill. And you in such cases have a right to demand details before paying.

But they are not required to tell you how much you've used on-demand. I think this should be something that is required, but it's not so today.
    Blah, Blah, Blah.... They need to fix it.
    MRL-MO
    MLEMKE - don't read, more "blah blah blah"

I won't keep debating this, but keep this in mind:
    1) Sprint PCS gives you # minutes online so you can keep track
    2) Sprint local telephone (and long distance) gives you # minutes used online so you can keep track (at least for me they do)
    3) Doesn't the vision web site have a "check minutes and data" or something like that? It comes up "not available" or whatever, but it looks like they will do it.

I think the issue with BRIGUY is that Sprint hasn't figured out how to apply an issue date to a telephone number. How hard is it to store in their database with the phone number the date they activated PCS Vision? That way, for the 3 months free, it is based off of that date? If you change your plan, so be it. The date is fixed.... I could do this for them myself in like 3 minutes... And I will do it for them, free, if they give me unlimited data for the rest of my Sprint PCS Vision existence ;->

Darnell, good points, but I think they will provide that information. If not, they'll have a s*&$-storm on their hands.

Nobull
    Originally posted by Dunc
    No, you're right they have no requirement to tell you what you're using. But it's going to bite them, because they're going to **** everyone off with it.
    A utilities company that pisses everyone off? NO WAY?! Get out of here!

You are talking of an industry that just a few years ago removed a tax that was added to landline phones in 1898 to fund the Spanish-American War.

I suspect Sprint or any other carrier aren't highly concerned if they **** anyone off...
  15.    #15  
    ***just an extra note***

since I changed my plan.. which wont go into effect untill the end of my current billing cycle.. i can not check my voice minutes.

this sucks........ thank God i have cell plan installed.

*** off the subject***

upIRC ( http://www.arthurian.nu/upirc ) works really well for mobile chatting