1.    #1  
    I've used a Palm for 4 years now and I've heard a lot about backup buddy. What exactly does it do? Every hard reset I've ever done restores perfectly (programs, data, settings, everything else) with the next hotsync. Why pay for this product? What else does it do?
    In this thread , it says:
    BackupBuddy also has the excellent ability to save .PDB files for applications that have conduits, which standard HotSync Manager will not do.
    Maybe you don't have any apps like this?
    Jeff
    Earlier versions of Palm OS did not save all files and data to the backup directory. While it appears that the current version backs up a lot more, I'm not about to trust that it backs up everything. I've used BackupBuddy since my Visor Deluxe, and it's bailed me out of some deep doo-doo.

When I upgraded to Treo, BackupBuddy flawlessly uploaded everything the first time, and it has worked for the numerous hard-resets I've had to do, and the replacement units I've gotten.

And no, I don't work for the company - just a very satisfied customer.

Michael
    The thing that wowed me about Backupbuddy was I when I was playing a great game of Dynomite for Palm (oops...that doesn't exist yet, you didn't hear that) and I was at 100,000 points, my highest ever. I exited the game, did a backup cause I had installed some programs earlier and the proceeded to crash my Palm (oops.) After a hard reset, I restored everything from my SD card, went into Dynomite afterwards and found my game still intact exactly the way I left it (still at 100,000 points). not bad eh?
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
  5.    #5  
    Weird. See, to me the standard setup has done all of this for me. The .pdb files are backed up, all conduits are reinstalled (Eudora, AvantGo, Vindigo and more) and high scores are maintained in games. To each his own, I guess. I just get this nagging feeling that the product has lost its usefullness (I think back in the day not everything was backed up). Oh well. Thanks for the information.
    I guess the thing I find useful about it is that on my Treo 90 I can continually backup to my SD card while on the go....
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    You two are talking about two different things:

• BackupBuddy backs up all apps and data to the pc at every hotsync. (I have nothing to say about whether it is still necessary.)
    • BackupBuddy VFS (which is bundled with BackupBuddy) backs up the contents of RAM to a memory card.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    True..but since they are bundled together and install together I consider it one piece of software and since I don't know what type of Handheld KRamsauer (or anyone else reading this post) is planning to back up with they might not know about Backup Buddy's ability to backup to a SD card (or most other types of Memory cards for that matter).
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Weird. See, to me the standard setup has done all of this for me. The .pdb files are backed up, all conduits are reinstalled (Eudora, AvantGo, Vindigo and more) and high scores are maintained in games. To each his own, I guess. I just get this nagging feeling that the product has lost its usefullness (I think back in the day not everything was backed up). Oh well. Thanks for the information.
    You don't NEED BackupBuddy- other programs, settings, etc. handle a lot of it for you, especially if you are lucky enough to be using programs that DO save themselves like that- but...

1.) Not all programs back themselves up so nicely.

2.) BBuddy also offers you the ability to back up onto your memory card

3.) BBuddy also allows you to back up your entire memory card (slow, but reliable. A good card reader does it faster), do a time sync, etc.

I have crashed both with and without BBuddy, and when I did not use it, it took me forever to restore everything the way I wanted it, and a lot of data was lost forever.

Now, I try to do more frequent syncs, card-based back-ups, etc. to minimize the impact of another hard crash, and BBuddy is one part of my plan.

Of course, right now, I am using a Clie with a built-in back up program and a built-in 'card reader'. I don't NEED anything like BBuddy so much any more- but I still use it.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
  10.    #10  
    1.) Not all programs back themselves up so nicely.

2.) BBuddy also offers you the ability to back up onto your memory card

3.) BBuddy also allows you to back up your entire memory card (slow, but reliable. A good card reader does it faster), do a time sync, etc.
    Well, I guess since my 180 has no expansion options I'm fine with no Backup Buddy. I'm really beginning to wish it did have a SD slot. Oh well.