Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have verified on my own device that AIM for Palm causes an intermittent error that forces users to either remove AIM or perform a hard reset. Unforunately, AOL now charges for this product (perhaps they now expect users to use the full AOL app for the Palm and not just AIM--the new app is quite good...)
    Buy it! I can't believe it, that's version 1.1 - the same version that was free last week. Wonder why they started charging for it? They're not charging for the desktop versions. Also, why are we still at version 1.1. when the WinCE and the Palm i705 versions are both at 2.0?!

Dunc
    I just installed the IM client for Palm and it's working well so far... actually somewhat impressed with how well. Hopefully I won't see any of the problems you encountered... *fingers crossed*

Brandon
    Last edited by cbtrussell; 09/15/2002 at 12:26 PM.
    it will blow up with datamgr.c error if you leave it w/o signing off of sol....errrrr. aol. my treo does this very repeatable, usually within an hour.
    Go to Netscape.com ... click around & you end up here:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/palm/latest_palm.adp

... unfortunately AIM 1.1 caused all kinds of havoc on my VD ... needed to remove and hard reset. ugh. would be nice if it worked ...

Has anyone had good luck with AIM 1.1 ??
    Originally posted by AndyHN
    Go to Netscape.com ... click around & you end up here:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/palm/latest_palm.adp

... unfortunately AIM 1.1 caused all kinds of havoc on my VD ... needed to remove and hard reset. ugh. would be nice if it worked ...

Has anyone had good luck with AIM 1.1 ??
    What kind of problems were you having? I think I have the older version on my Treo. I downloaded 1.1 so I won't have to pay for it later, but if the problems are huge, I'm not touching it.
    General instability; caused my VD (which has been rock solid stable) to require hard resets. I'm very good at re-loading my Visor now!

I read a post somewhere that someone had better luck if AIM 1.1 were stored in module rater than main memory, so I moved AIM to the memory in my Xircom wireless ethernet springport. FWIW, it seems to be much happier there.

One usability dissappointment: AIM times out with inactivity along with the rest of your visor; so it's not going to be on to receive IM's. Does anyone know a work-around (hack) that can keep the Visor on ??
    answer my own question: 'always on' seems to do it ...

http://www.persicke.de/palmfree.htm##AlwaysOn
    Originally posted by rklosinski
    it will blow up with datamgr.c error if you leave it w/o signing off of sol....errrrr. aol. my treo does this very repeatable, usually within an hour.
    same thing just happen to to me on my new Treo 300. Here's a work around to KEEP your data, and no hard reset.

1. you must have the program Filez on the Treo
    2. If or should I say when you get the datamgr.c error do a reset while holding the UP key.
    3. you will continue to see the Palm screen, wait about 15 seconds and then release the UP key.
    4. once your back up you will have Palm features but no data features.
    5. open the Filez program and scroll down to your SavedPreferences
    6. select the file go to detail and DELETE it.
    7. do a soft reset (I had to do a soft reset twice)
    8. you will have to reenter all your Preferences including registration code for shareware type programs, but you DON'T have to hard reset.