1.    #1  
    Last night I went to a speech by Ed Colligan, co-founder and COO of Handspring, who visited members of the Washington Software Alliance's Wireless SIG here in Seattle. Some highlights that you might find interesting:

--The next-generation Treo will "look more like a mainstream phone" but still retain all the functionality and usability of the PDA. It probably won't have a flipcover. He said Handspring wants to have a Treo version that suits everyone. No word on ETA.
    -- One of the first things he said was that a real SMS client is "coming soon." He basically apologized for it not being in the Treo 300.
    -- Look for J2ME in Palm OS 5 but he was vague when pressed about whether or not current Treo users (using v3.5) would be able to upgrade. My understanding was that we wouldn't but he said "eventually" we would. (I'm not sure what that means.)
    -- Location technology (like A-GPS) is also coming.
    -- Overall, he was very excited about the Treo 300. (It's what he uses.) He admitted there are some difficulties with it (usability issues, network problems, etc.). But he's bullish on the Treo, obviously.
    -- One last note: Colligan arrived with a Treo 180 to give away through the standard business card draw. The winner? Bill Baxter, CEO of Bsquare -- a Microsoft Windows CE job shop. Pretty funny.

So that's my report. Good luck.
    Sorry this may sound stupid...but what is J2ME?
    J2ME is a JAVA engine for mobile devices like phones and Palm OS devices. There is an implementation you can try today on any Visor or Treo called MIDP - a free download from Palm.

There is an application called MidCast which uses MIDP and which gives you a live stock ticker on the Treo which is very popular amongst 300 owners. It really shows the power of always on connections.

J2ME FAQ from Sun

Download for MIDP for Palm

Definition of J2ME from Sun:
    "The JavaTM 2 Platform, Micro Edition is the edition of the Java 2 platform targeted at consumer electronics and embedded devices. The J2ME technology consists of a virtual machine and a set of APIs suitable for providing tailored runtime environments for consumer and embedded electronics. The J2ME technology has two primary kinds of components--configurations and profiles. "
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MobileDave
    -- One of the first things he said was that a real SMS client is "coming soon." He basically apologized for it not being in the Treo 300.[QUOTE]

Does this mean that the Treo 300 will be able to use it or only future Treo models? Hmmm....
    His apology for SMS issues seems to prove that the party to blame for SMS problems is Handspring and not Sprint.

Thanks for the report MobileDave .
  6.    #6  
    Colligan made it sound like SMS would be available for the Treo 300 very soon.
    Thanks Poryphyron for the info....
    Sprint is releasing a new SMS-like service, but it ain't ready yet. I have it on good authority that the Palm version of the SMS app will be ready just as soon as Sprint is ready to unvail the new service. Although details are unavailable, it is reasonable to believe that the new service will bring Sprint up to date with other MMS (multimedia messaging services) systems, allowing people to share things like pictures as well as short text messages.
    Originally posted by darnell
    His apology for SMS issues seems to prove that the party to blame for SMS problems is Handspring and not Sprint.

Thanks for the report MobileDave .
    Per my post in another forum I think that the fact that no other Sprint PCS Vision phones have full SMS abilities speaks to the issue being Sprint's.

Druce's info backs up this train of thought...
    I know folks in the messaging group at Sprint PCS, and the issue with SMS is theirs, not Handspring. it's coming, they say (altho the app from PDAApps might make it here first).
    I have a question. With this Java download (J2ME), will it allow you to use Java enabled websites and java applets on the web browser (i.e. Yahoo games)?
    Originally posted by hydro94545
    I have a question. With this Java download (J2ME), will it allow you to use Java enabled websites and java applets on the web browser (i.e. Yahoo games)?
    Well the browsers will have to be able to work with it. So once this is ready, browsers like Blazer will probably need to release a new version that supports it.
    As for Java support with Blazer, I don't think that you will ever see on the Treo what you experience with your PC. Don't count on Java support (or even J2ME) in the near future (or even in the Palm OS 5.0 time period).

J2ME support for the Palm via the MIDP packages show what is possible, but it still doesn't allow for the type of network experience that you experience with Java enabled (BREW) cell phones. Right now, with the MIDP package mentioned, you can run J2ME packages (.jar files, etc), but only if they go through a conversion process that converts the .jar file into a .prc file to allow the applet to be transferred to the Treo. As long as this process is required, you won't have the seamless process provided by a BREW compatible cell phone, allowing you to selectively download and run J2ME packages hosted by Sprint or other network sites.

What is really needed is to add BREW compatibility to either the MIDP packages or to the Treo itself. This would allow the Treo to be compatible with all of the new J2ME features being offered by Sprint now and in the future.
    Well now I really hope we can get Palm OS 5 after reading this article .
    Originally posted by darnell
    Well now I really hope we can get Palm OS 5 after reading this article .
    Not in the Treo 300, you won't. OS 5 is for an entirely different processor.

Gary
    I know, but I can dream .