1.    #1  
    It is with much regret that I am discontinuing development and sale of my WirelessModem product. While the product does work for some, it can be quite tricky to get it setup. This has resulted in a huge number of customer support issues and a number of very rude users.

I have always made my products available as a demo so that users can make sure that they work BEFORE purchasing, but a number of customers think that by purchasing, the software will magically work. (When users purchase the software, they had to check a box that said it worked...some checked the box even though it didn't work.)

This decision is going to reduce some stress for me.

Please do not contact me about getting the software. If Handspring wants to contact me about licensing the product, that's fine.

Sorry.
    I am sorry to hear about the factors that lead to your decision. What I like best about the PDA devices is that lots of creative and talented people put time and effort into developing software and then make it available at very low cost for people like me to try out.

It's a bummer when people get angry at someone like you simply because they can when they don't expect the same level of support for software/hardware they paid alot more for from the "big guys" cause they know they don't have a snowball's chance in Heck of getting any support at all.

Thanks for your efforts to bring innovation and choice to Handspring users!
    Originally posted by sgruby
    This decision is going to reduce some stress for me.

Please do not contact me about getting the software. If Handspring wants to contact me about licensing the product, that's fine.

Sorry.
    Would you consider selling it "As IS" with no support offered to those of us who are technically inclined and willing to keep our mouths shut if it doesn't work?

If not, does anyone out there know anyone else who offers an app with similar functionality? I need this.

- Davoice
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by davoice

Would you consider selling it "As IS" with no support offered to those of us who are technically inclined and willing to keep our mouths shut if it doesn't work?

If not, does anyone out there know anyone else who offers an app with similar functionality? I need this.

- Davoice

Unfortunately I cannot offer it "As IS" (that's the way it pretty much was offered).

As for someone else offering it, in the 3 months that WirelessModem was out, there was nothing else like it. While it isn't technically difficult to put together, I don't think many people are going to jump in based on my experience.

Sorry.
    Perhaps you could open source the project so that if another developer wants to they can build from what you've started...
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    I'm sorry to hear about your decision. I found your software very useful and was hoping to get it to work with GPRS. I had already gotten it to work for csd.
    I hope some day you'll change your mind and continue developing it, and help some of us get it to work on GPRS. I remember before you developed wireless modem, Handspring and others in this forum had said that the Treo could never be used as a wireless modem. Well you proved them wrong! Thanks for writing it.
    Originally posted by sgruby

Unfortunately I cannot offer it "As IS" (that's the way it pretty much was offered).

As for someone else offering it, in the 3 months that WirelessModem was out, there was nothing else like it. While it isn't technically difficult to put together, I don't think many people are going to jump in based on my experience.

Sorry.
    Oh... trust me. Based on the Sprint PCS whiners that I have encountered in other forums, I wholly understand.

Would you consider selling the product again and offering support for it separately - i.e for $100-200 per year or so - to discourage those who really don't need it from becoming annoying bozos.

I believe you should be compensated for your time. And no one deserves to be abused by their customers.

- Davoice
    Last edited by davoice; 09/13/2002 at 08:02 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    Perhaps you could open source the project so that if another developer wants to they can build from what you've started...
    I can't/won't do that for a number of reasons; I used some licensed library code which prevents me from open sourcing a part of it and I'm not sure that I wouldn't get more hate mail (one person that couldn't get the free TreoTools working told me that my software sucked).
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by davoice

Oh... trust me. Based on the Sprint PCS whiners that I have encountered in other forums, I wholly understand.

Would you consider selling the product again and offering support for it separately - i.e for $100-200 per year or so - to discourage those who really don't need it from becoming annoying bozos.

I believe you should be compensated for your time. And no one deserves to be abused by their customers.

- Davoice
    For a $200 non-refundable upfront fee with no support, I think I could do that. However, is this fair to customers? I don't think it really is. If people complained at $15-20, I can't imagine what will happen at $200.

Also, it appears that Sprint is screwing around with the data services; a user and I have done some testing and believe that Sprint is pushing all HTTP data through a transparent proxy. I'll confirm this next week, but based on my initial tests, I didn't see one log entry in my web server for the IP address Sprint gave me even though I hit my server a number of times.
    sgruby I need you to contact me about your software and routing issues my aol instant messenger name is lokii69
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by omnius
    sgruby I need you to contact me about your software and routing issues my aol instant messenger name is lokii69
    No. The software has been discontinued and has no support. I guess you don't understand...support is why I stopped the product.
    I didn't want to say this but ........... I'm sprint vision tier 2 tech I just want to test the software and see if I can get it going for you and then I can refer my customers to if we can get it going right as from the transparent proxy yeah it's there I'll tell you more if you contact me please

I would like to have something for my customers to use if I can see whats going on I might be able to fix it