1.    #1  
    Hey guys I just would like for everyone to know about my displeasure this morning with Handspring.

Ever since buying my Treo three weeks ago.. I've been heavily installing new apps.... In the meantime... I turned off syncing and forgot about it. I only had install turn on by default. Big MISTAKE...

This morning.. I was playing with a new app I installed... and CRASH... I was waintgin around for it to restart when I notice.. Out of range error... 8589... Hell what does that mean..??? Well after searching on handspring website.... Mostly likely cause was during my hotsync one of the files were corrupted.

Any since I hadn't backup for about two weeks... I didn't want to do a hard reset. I have restarted from scratch many of times before with my previous palms.

So I call Handspring... i ignore the stupid statement saying that if you have a #00 contact Sprint.... I now for sure they will be absolutely no help... I figure, If they can't get Vision working correctly ( and that's what they actually get paid to do)... They sure won't be able fix my palm os problem... IMHO it's pretty shabby that handspring passes the blame along to sprint when they are aware of the fact that sprint will not be able to provide a tech support for the Treo. Only a handful of those techs have even held a Treo. I must however commend Tony... Don't know his last name but so far... he is the only one can ever give me definitive answers... If I'm calling tech support... " I don't know" isn't what I want to hear... He BTW is Level 2 support... jsut ask for it by name... You'll stay on hold for god knows how long... but you'll be better helped. These guys that answer the phone... Sends all of the hard questions to Level 2 people like Tony.

Back to the problem. The person I was speaking to was no help at all! then he got ignorant and just plain refused to help. I caught him on a point and told him. Look this has nothing to do with it being a sprint phone! ( you moron ) This error code of 8589 is a Palm OS problem... Well I can't find what that is.. I 'm not sure.. I am looking on Handsprings website and under Error codes it's state the defintion( you ahole) ... The conversation doens't last much onger than that because the ***** just states well since it's a 300 well jsut don't support it.

I asked to speak to his supervisor. I'm suprised he jsut didn't disconnected me because at first he didn't want to transfer me. I didn't get the supervisor's name, but I explained the situation and he agreed with my point and began HELPING...
    He diagnosed that my file was mostly corrupted during tranny and told to hard reset to make sure that the Treo itself wasn't the problem. I perfromed the hard reset. It restarted and yeah I lost it all.. It took my 2 hours this nomring to get everything back the way i had it... ; (

Well my lesson learned is when you call for help... Lie your **** off. Tell them you have a 270 with Voicestream ... or otherwise you'll have a fight in store for you. If they don't want to help because you slipped and told them you have a 300... Jsut ask for a Supervisor.
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
    This posting is one of the least pleasant openings into the mind of a Treo user I have seen in a long time. Try thinking of other peoples feelings and being less high maintenance. You admitted that you installed a whole bunch of software so why did it not occur to you that the error might come from those applications. If the error is non-standard you are just being a bully by trying to belittle the folks who tried to help you. Go talk to the folks who wrote the software causing the crash - a good clue is always that the error is being caused by the last thing you installed.
    Originally posted by Lkwan

<mostly gibberish> ...

Any since I hadn't backup for about two weeks... I didn't want to do a hard reset. I have restarted from scratch many of times before with my previous palms.

<mostly gibberish> ...

No the lesson learned is "backup" and "hotsync" ...

You install multiple apps, with out hotsyncing and protecting yourself. Whats worse, you did it BEFORE and didn't learn anything, and then you have the audacity to blame HS and or Sprint for your own arrogance and stupidity.

Hmmm you sound like the guy that posted here complaining about your service charging you a minute each time you made one of 96 phone calls to his 270 to prove that there was a headset disconnect problem.

<sigh> The technologially insane should be banned from owning technological devices.

Gary
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I think that every one is loosing sight of the original posting purpose.The TREO 300 yes is a Sprint PHONE product and SPRINT will support with their limited ability the voice and data connectivity,but when it comes to PALM OS system related questions SPRINT is not the right party for support.Handspring licensed the OS from Palm and modified to fit their hardware.All of the problems with the TREO are not only on connectivity but on OS and apps (such as BLAZER , Handspring purchased the developer in 2000).So Why? should I endure going through Sprint Rep's for a question on Blazer ,another app or an OS functionality issue.I think that Handspring made a critical mistake (made by other companies before ) on surrendering their product support, if a lot of people are frustrated with their TREO later this year might wind up switching to other phones (Samsung or Kyocera) and still maintaining SPRINT as their provider due to coverage/contract or other issues and this in the long run affects in most of the cases the hardware manufacturer whose name/logo is on the device giving us problems.
  5.    #5  
    I could have sugar coated my comments or not made they at all. But I think most people want to hear everything... The Good and The BAD!

Poryphyron,

>>This posting is one of the least pleasant openings into the mind of a Treo user I have seen in a long time.

Sorry to discourage in any way. But when I buy something I want to know all of the details even the bad things. Any person can tell you all of the positive things but i like to keep it real.

>>If the error is non-standard you are just being a bully by trying to belittle the folks who tried to help you.

Tried to help me??? No I don't think Handspring treid to help me at all. The first operator i spoke to refused to help me at all. Once he found out that i owned a 300. "We don't support that phone. Call Sprint" That's it... When I get a customer into my store. Oh you bought xxx, sorry but i can't help you! Go to where you bought it. No... I gladly accept any problems and try to help as much as possible. At times i won't be able tp help, so at that time I'll advise the customer they'll be better helped at where they purchsed the item.

>>Go talk to the folks who wrote the software causing the crash - a good clue is always that the error is being caused by the last thing you installed.

Actually from what the level 2 tech from handspring, the problem mostly likely occurred during hotsync. For unknown reasons, files sometimes get corrupted.
    This happens to me also when i dowload to my computers. During the download it jsut gets screwed up so I have to redownload it.

Gary G. Little,

>> No the lesson learned is "backup" and "hotsync" ...

What I forgot to type to was... Because I just bought my Treo recently, I had been reinstalling a lot of my older programs. My problem wasn't that I forgot to sync. I was syncing three or four times a day. Or at least I thought I was syncing. I forgot to turn on all of the conduits back on. I only had the Install conduit ON. That hoysync screen came up and show TO DO list, Address book, etc... I watch it a few times... I thought it was doing it's job...

<sigh> The technologially insane should be banned from owning technological devices.

if you want to throw around insults... well then so can i.... From your own words... Why do you own a treo?

Veroi,

Wow at least one person read through the message completely, thought for a second and then posted... Thanks we need more people like you in forums...

FYI... Yes I have learned from the past because before I put untested apps onto my palm I install it onto my POSE. To make sure it won't crash my palm and to figure out if the app is useful enoguh to install.

We have all spent $500 for this latest and greatest gadget. When the times comes and you need support. WTH are you going to do when you goto Handspring's Website and find in BOLD print. GOTO Sprint's website... We will not support Treo 300's!!!! Then like most people... You goto Sprint's site. Call their tech support... And just get frustrated when they aren't going to be able to handle a Palm OS tech problem... Do you for one second think Sprint is going to be even capable to handle your PALM OS problem of course not!!! They can barely get their own services working correctly. Their PCS Mail is still screwed up! And you can jsut forget about SMS for now...

As a consumer.. I was getting very frustrated at Handspring. As a Sales person... I was thinking ... how am I going to sell this thing if my customers are gogin to get horrible customer service from Handspring. I was just trying to help others know what to say if ever confronted with the same problem.

Darn I lost my train of thought.. I was chatting with a friend for the past two hours... heck...

Keep those posts coming...
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
    Originally posted by Lkwan
    So I call Handspring... i ignore the stupid statement saying that if you have a #00 contact Sprint....
    Well, this is part of the problem. You can't just "ignore the stupid statement". I'm pretty sure that it's there because they mean it. Most likely, Sprint agreed contractually to take support from Handspring in exchange for some monetary or other considerations. That often happens in the phone industry. Granted, it's weak that Handspring handed over support. But blasting some people in the grill for some policy that they have no say about is also weak. Just because you would do support differently doesn't mean that's the way Handspring does or should do it. That's their policy. How can you just ignore it?

Also, how is lying going to help? You tell them you have a 270 and they could spend who knows how long trying to diagnose a problem that only appears on a 300. All you are doing is wasting their time and keeping them away from people that they may actually be able to help.

If you have a problem with Handspring's policy, write customer service and complain. But calling tech support with an attitude because you demand something (even though their policy is clearly stated on their web page) is one of the reasons good people don't stay in tech support very long. They get fed up with having to deal with people like that.

Just because you paid for something doesn't give you or anyone the right to dictate how things are going to be run. You should have looked up their support policy before you bought anything.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I think one thing is clear for the long run, Handspring should for their next product clearly indicate that the support will be "by others" as this will level the field with the consumers who basically by buying their product keep that company going. This was not clear at launch time.One thing that I should mention is that I have relatives with Pocket Pc Phones and they receive support from the Cell Provider , phone manufacturer and/or Microsoft. I Think that this comes from MS experience with the early Win CE OEM customer service and that eventually affected sales.Hopefully between all of us in these Forums can resolve the Tech Issues that Sprint can't.
    Well if you want support from Handspring, get a Treo 270 or 180. As i see it, the agreement that Sprint and Handspring has say that Sprint would support all aspect of the unit. This is why when you call Handspring you cannot get any help.

The lkying that you have a Treo 270 trick wont work..because you have to produce your serial number to register the unit (if you haven't already done so). The Treo 300 and Treo 270 have different serial numbers I am sure.

Originally posted by veroi
    I think that every one is loosing sight of the original posting purpose.The TREO 300 yes is a Sprint PHONE product and SPRINT will support with their limited ability the voice and data connectivity,but when it comes to PALM OS system related questions SPRINT is not the right party for support.Handspring licensed the OS from Palm and modified to fit their hardware.All of the problems with the TREO are not only on connectivity but on OS and apps (such as BLAZER , Handspring purchased the developer in 2000).So Why? should I endure going through Sprint Rep's for a question on Blazer ,another app or an OS functionality issue.I think that Handspring made a critical mistake (made by other companies before ) on surrendering their product support, if a lot of people are frustrated with their TREO later this year might wind up switching to other phones (Samsung or Kyocera) and still maintaining SPRINT as their provider due to coverage/contract or other issues and this in the long run affects in most of the cases the hardware manufacturer whose name/logo is on the device giving us problems.
    The partnership between Handspring and Sprint really sucks! I purchased my Treo 300 from Handspring two weeks ago and the unit has locked up on me twice in two weeks causing me to hard reset, lose all of my data and the use of my phone for two full days, two days when I could least afford it. After contacting Handspring and being transferred to the Sprint customer service twice and waiting on hold over an hour each time, they finally suggested that I return it to a store for a full diagnostic and if necessary a replacement. When I went into Sprint yesterday, the technician was able to get the device to lock up, but they refused to replace the unit. They said that I had to return the unit to Handspring. I ended up buying another device and now have to return the original to Handspring. What a joke. You would think Sprint would figure out a way to provide better customer service. For starters, the device only works on the Sprint network. Second, Sprint has higher billing than Handspring on the phone and the packaging. Third, all support calls are routed to Sprint. Why wouldn't they be able to handle a return and replacement in the store? After all, they end up sending the units to a distribution center that sends them back to Handspring anyway.

Frustrated
    I suspect that anyone who bought a Kyocera 6035 or a Samsung i300 would have exactly the same complaints as we have here for the Treo 300. Have you guys ever checked out the support from either of those companies for comparison? - I looked at their nearly non-existent web support. They do have some phone support but in a dare-I-say deliberately minimal fashion. I am also curious to know if Verizon scores any higher on Palm OS support for the same phones on their network.

The bottom line is that Palm OS is tricky when you layer all the third-party software on the top of it. It is not surprising that newbies and relatively experienced users get frustrated and try to seek support from anyone willing to offer it. The phone carriers are going to have to decide if they are willing to really put their hearts into supporting these devices or else pay less for the phones from the manufacturers and let the manufacturers do the support - this is especially important if the manufacturer already has very good support. Three years ago when money was grains of sand on a beach, this would not have been an issue.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I think the post by Poryphyron is a good hint that the Palm camp needs to grasp better the after sales customer support,Microsoft learned the hardway already. Maybe Sprint will learn with their Treo 300 launch that they need help.
    While I agree that rudeness and lying to support people is not the way to address this issue, I did feel that the original poster had a valid point to make, which also concerns me, so I tried a nice message to Handspring and here's the result so far which, needless to say, is discouraging:

To: salesfeedback@support.handspring.com
    COMMENTS:
    I eagerly awaited the Treo 300 model, and I was about to purchase it, when I learned from others, and as confirmed on your website, that you do not provide any support whatesoever, and all support is to be provided by Sprint.

As Handspring fan as well as a regular Sprint customer, I do not understand this. I can accept that the phone service portion of the Treo would be referred to Sprint, but how can you decline support and assistance with the pda portion of the Treo 300? Certainly you have the expertise, since it is so close to the 270 model in that respect, and Sprint people have absolutely ZERO knowledge about the Palm operating system, about hotsynch issues, about installing and using palm os programs etc. etc.

I would really appreciate hearing from you on this - the reputation and future of Handspring is at stake for all of us on this issue.
    TIA for your response.
    Regards,

From: Sales <sales@support.handspring.com Reply-To: <sales@support.handspring.com Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:26:31 -0700 To: <-- Subject: Re: Sales and Service FeedbackCase:-------

Dear --,

Thank you for contacting Handspring.

We appreciate your concern regarding support for the Treo 300. The Treo 300 is a Sprint product, for help with a Treo 300 please contact Sprint directly. Sprint's online support is available from www.sprintpcs.com.
    To access Treo 300 specific support pages, log in at https://manage1.sprintpcs.com/Manage at the PCS website using your PCS Vision username or your PCS phone number. You may also wish to read Sprint's list of FAQs on PCS services and PCS Vision services. http://www1.sprintpcs.com/support/fi...upFaqIndex.jsp
    Thank You, Kristi Handspring Sales Email

Kristi,
    I am disappointed in your reply, because it tells me what I already knew and what I was writing to Handspring to express my concern about!

You did not address that issue.

I hope that you will refer this matter to someone at Handspring who might be interested in addressing the concerns which I and many others have about this situation, and how it impacts on Handspring's reputation and goodwill among its pda users.

Regards,
    Nate --

=============================================================
    NEWSFLASH!!!

Finally got an escalated followup as follows:

Mr. S.,

Your case has been escalated.

Thank you for your comments and concerns regarding Handspring support for
    the Treo 300. I believe it is through open lines of communication that we
    improve our services, and your input is valued.

Our Wireless Support line does support the PDA portion of the Treo line of
    products, including the Treo 300. That support line will also assist with
    Treo Mail problems.

You can contact the Wireless Support line at 877.426.3777. Go in through the
    Sprint option, then Treo Mail. You can get basic Palm OS help there. (I just
    tried it myself).

If you have any further questions or concerns, please either reply to this
    email or call me directly at the number listed below.

Sincerely,
    Scott
    Handspring Customer Care
    Executive Relations

=====================================================================
    > To: sales@support.handspring.com
    > From: --[/email]
    > Date: 9/16/02 13:57:31
    > Subject: Re: Sales and Service FeedbackCase:3369020
    > Kristi,
    >
    > I am disappointed in your reply, because it tells me what I already knew
    and
    > what I was writing to Handspring to express my concern about!
    >
    > You did not address that issue.
    >
    > I hope that you will refer this matter to someone at Handspring who might
    be
    > interested in addressing the concerns which I and many others have about
    > this situation, and how it impacts on Handspring's reputation and goodwill
    > among its pda users.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Nate S---
    >
    > > From: Sales <sales@support.handspring.com>
    > > Reply-To: <sales@support.handspring.com>
    > > Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:26:31 -0700
    > > > > Subject: Re: Sales and Service FeedbackCase:3369020
    > >
    > > Dear NS----,
    > >
    > >
    > > Thank you for contacting Handspring.
    > >
    > > We appreciate your concern regarding support for the Treo 300. The Treo
    > > is a Sprint product, for help with a Treo 300 please contact Sprint
    > > directly. Sprint's online support is available from www.sprintpcs.com.
    > >
    > > To access Treo 300 specific support pages, log in at
    > > https://manage1.sprintpcs.com/Manage at the PCS website using your PCS
    > > Vision username or your PCS phone number. You may also wish to read
    Sprint's
    > > list of FAQs on PCS services and PCS Vision services.
    > > http://www1.sprintpcs.com/support/fi...upFaqIndex.jsp
    > >
    > >
    > > Thank You,
    > > Kristi
    > > Handspring Sales Email
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > =====================================================================
    > >> To: salesfeedback@support.handspring.com
    > >> From: n.@
    > >> Date: 09/15/2002 20:49:18
    > >> Subject: Sales and Service Feedback
    > >> FROM: ---
    > >> COMPANY: Attorney at Law
    > >> EMAIL: [email]nemail]
    > >> BROWSER TYPE: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.13; Mac_PowerPC)
    > >>
    > >> COMMENTS: I eagerly awaited the Treo 300 model, and I was about to
    > > purchase it, when I
    > >> learned from others, and as confirmed on your website, that you do not
    > >> provide any support whatesoever, and all support is to be provided by
    > >> Sprint.
    > >>
    > >> As Handspring fan as well as a regular Sprint customer, I do not
    > > understand
    > >> this. I can accept that the phone service portion of the Treo would be
    > >> referred to Sprint, but how can you decline support and assistance with
    > > the
    > >> pda portion of the Treo 300? Certainly you have the expertise, since
    it
    > > is
    > >> so close to the 270 model in that respect, and Sprint people have
    > > absolutely
    > >> ZERO knowledge about the Palm operating system, about hotsynch issues,
    > > about
    > >> installing and using palm os programs etc. etc.
    > >>
    > >> I would really appreciate hearing from you on this - the reputation and
    > >> future of Handspring is at stake for all of us on this issue.
    > >>
    > >> TIA for your response.
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Nate ---
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    I tried calling the phone number for wireless support and instead of taking the option 1 which transfers to Sprint, I chose option 2 for Treo Mail. I got a good answer to a Mac syncronization problem I was having. Well done Handspring! You must be listening.