Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I've been having a problem where incoming calls seem to occasionally cause my Treo 270 to crash.

I talked to the Handspring tech support people and they suggested a hard reset to see if it was a third party app problem.

After doing a hard reset, I did some investigation and I figured out the sequence of steps to cause a crash. Note: This is with a completely vanilla Treo (I haven't patched it or upgraded the firmware and I'm using the headset provided by handspring).

To reproduce this:
    * Turn on sounds
    * Turn on Vibrate when sounds are on (I don't know if this matters, but mine is set this way)
    * Plug in Headset

1) Call the Treo from another phone (I called from another mobile, on the same network, whose number was in the SIM card and copied to the Speed Dial, in case that matters).

2) Wait for the Treo to start ringing and vibrating

3) Press the button on the other phone to end the call and AT THE SAME TIME, press the headset button on the Treo to answer the call.

Expected behavior: The Treo reports a missed call.

Actual behavior: The Treo stops ring tones, but continues to vibrate. It does not respond to input until a soft reset.

So, does anyone thing this is a hardware problem or a bug in the software?

And more importantly, can anyone else reproduce this?

I'm in the UK on Vodafone if that makes a difference...
    I had the exact same problem when I had Ringo installed. I uninstalled it and the problem was solved.

I know you said you did a hard reset, but I would delete apps from the app delete menu aand see if you still have the problem. The I would slowly add applications back to see if you can pin point the problem.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Simman
    I know you said you did a hard reset, but I would delete apps from the app delete menu aand see if you still have the problem.
    I did a hard reset and did *not* re-install anything. I did not sync so nothing got reinstalled.

As I said, I can reproduce this with a completely clean, out of the box, Treo.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by melevittfl

I did a hard reset and did *not* re-install anything. I did not sync so nothing got reinstalled.
    U.S. handspring support sent me a headset patch PhoneHalLib

Installing this patch had no effect and I can still reproduce the problem.

I'll see what they say this time...
    Bummer about the patch. That's what I was going to suggest. Hopefully they have a fix for ths issue if and when they release their GPRS code for the US. I wonder if the Canadian release S/W has the fix?
    i am experiencing a different but somewhat related problem: when the headset is in and the phone lid is closed and a call comes in, pressing the headset button does not answer the call as expected - it kicks the call to voice mail and displays "you missed the following call" on the screen.

this problem does NOT seem to happen if the phone lid is open.

incidentally, my settings are also sounds on and vibrate with sounds on.

anybody else seen this? any ideas?

thanks.

I had all the symptoms you all talk about when I upgraded to Ringo 3.0 on a Treo 270.

I re-reset all the pictures I had for my contacts. I discovered by doing this that some were not set (where they were supposed to have been). How'd this happened, I don't know.

I did this over a month ago and the problems have not ocurred again.

Dumb luck? Maybe it is worth checking.
    For your information Ringo released a new beta version of its apps: 3.1a.

You'll find it on their Web site, under the Treo picture.
    They are annoucing it as a beta version for Treo 300.

I have a Treo 270.
    I installed the beta version few days ago and didn't have any crash or any problem of any sort since.
    It worth testing it...
    i have experienced this problem twice; i mean with two different callers. and it was consistent.

what happens is as follows: if a certain person calls, the phone crashes, but the caller thinks i simply didn't pick up... the software end of the treo and hardware become divorced so to speak...

i actually was lucky enough to have the culprit caller call me when i was on a call, and call waiting was supposed to take place, but what happened instead is treo crashed... HOWEVER, the original phone call continued normally and the little beeps you here to indicate another incoming call also continued..

so, after having figured out the culprit, i removed him from my sim card... problem persisted, removed him then from my phonebook, and problem still persisted! i delted ringo, problem was gone, and he is back in my phonebook and no problems.. this also happend to me wiht another number, and the only way i could solve it was to change his name in the phone book and keep it different to his entry in speed dial (which is copied from sim)....

i couldn't really figure out a pattern, but when ringo was gone problem went with it - for now. so, my suspciions are clearly that there is a bug in ringo 3.0...

besides ringo 3.0 has all kinds of bugs (the unkonw number setting just doesn't work for me) and all kinds of other little strnage behavioral problems (not crashing, but ringo just doesn't do what it is supposed to do).

hope this helps... would love to get ot the bottom of this problem, b/c it is quite annoying and perhaps the solution is as simple as remove ringo 3.0
    Beblawi
    would love to get ot the bottom of this problem, b/c it is quite annoying and perhaps the solution is as simple as remove ringo 3.0
    You are right, Ringo 3.0 is bugged.

As I said, try the new Ringo beta version, 3.1a for Treo 300.
    Since I installed it on my Treo 270 I didn't have one single crash.
    Originally posted by dennis3232

You are right, Ringo 3.0 is bugged.

As I said, try the new Ringo beta version, 3.1a for Treo 300.
    Since I installed it on my Treo 270 I didn't have one single crash.
    What if we get crashes without using Ringo? I use TC Ringer.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Stanward

What if we get crashes without using Ringo? I use TC Ringer.

Stan
    I was experiencing crashed with the treo without any third-party software at all.
    I get the crash also. It seems to happen to me when I am on a call and get a new call. It crashes if I press "drop and answer" when the first call is hanging up, but I can't be sure. I have never had any third party ringer software installed. The only third party apps i have installed are cell plan tracker, master X, and buttons T
    ok fellas, i have a suggestion.
    pls note the error message that you get... not only that it is 'fatal error' but also the stuff like 'DataMgr out of handle line 121213' type of message.

i am almost certain that ringo was the cause of some major flaws in my phone. i never was comfortable with ringo 2, b/c i felt that it made the phone buggy. with ringo 3 it became more stable, excpet that for certain phone numbers (i cannot figure out what decides if a phone number will ignite the bug) it would crash. i repeated this many times and it is a solid conclusion. i unistalled ringo 3 and the same crash casuing numbers are now able to call me and get through like a breeze.

so, i really suspect that this thread is discussing several crash types, and for the sake of accuracy and progress i suggest that we begin to post the crash text that we are referring to in our posts. this way we might be able to find a pattern and solve this issue.

what do you guys say?
    Beblawi
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by beblawi
    ok fellas, i have a suggestion.
    pls note the error message that you get... not only that it is 'fatal error' but also the stuff like 'DataMgr out of handle line 121213' type of message.
    The problem I was experiencing was a freeze and the treo became unresponsive. There was no crash or fatel error message. The unit simply stopped responding to input.

The ringer would stop, but the phone continued to virbrate (I had both ring and vibrate options turned on).
    I've had that problem and it came down to one phone number in my address book. I surmised there was a conflict between Ringo, my phone book and speed dial. Deleting the number out of the phone book and re-entering it solved the problem. Shortly thereafter I had to do a hard reset for another reason and before I'd sync'd so the next sync restored the original configuration and the crash came back. Remove and re-enter the phone number again and all was solved.

Tony
    Mine was a freeze also, not a crash. Sorry for the confusion
    Mine too.
    Had same issue with earphone. Whenever I answered the phone withthe earphone - lid both open and closed - it killed the call. Called Handspring support, they sent me the earphone patch. Installed the patch and all telephony applications on my phone stopped working (refused to launch). Did a hard reset, (w/o the patch) and it starting working again - with the problem. They sent me a new phone, issue still happens half the time. Waiting for an official patch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast