Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is an old issue, but I'm just adding here. I've had a Treo 180 and 270 now and both had/have an echo problem where the person I'm talking to often complains of an annoying echo. I don't hear it on the Treo (my side). After reading some posts here, I decided to call HS tech support and complain about it. Today they said it was "not" a known issue, but they have had a few calls about it. I use Cingular in the Santa Monica area of Los Angeles. It doesn't always occur. It seems to happen when I'm in the car a lot or when the signal is weak. HS is sending me a replacement unit. I doubt that it will be fixed since they aren't acknowledging that its a known problem or has been fixed.

I absolutely love everything about the Treo and will still use it for a long time despite this. I wish I was sure whether it was Cingular (maybe I'm in a bad cell area, but it seems to happen other places too), or if its the Treo. I would recommend the Treo to others more if it (or Cingular) didn't have this problem.

If the replacement unit doesn't have the problem I'll be a happy camper and will post the result here. Does anyone else have any more info on this, besides the other treads I've read?
    I live in Hawaii (T-mobile/Voicestream) and have recently roamed in Portland, OR (T-mobile/Voicestream) with no problems. I love my 270!

The only time I experienced the echo is when I was roaming in the SF Bay area (Cingular) in July. I received complaints on nearly EVERY call for the two weeks that I was there.

It seems to me that the problem is with the service provider and not necessarily the phone. Move to Hawaii and your problems will disappear
    I'm also facing the same problem time to time, but not always.. specialy when I talk without the Headset (Even Speaker On or Off).. So, now I'm always using the Headset to make or answer the calls!!!!
    Shall I ask for replacement????
    I live in Greece and VODAFONE is my provider. The same thing, the ECHO is present eveywhere despite the signal strength !!!

Christopher
    katris
    The only time I've had people complain of an echo was whenever there was a lot of ambient background noise. For example - driving in the car with the AC up high, or standing in a noisy server room. If I'm somewhere quiet, I've never run into the problem.

Other than that, I can't find any consistency with the problem. Generally, it works very well so far - in 2 months of having mine, I've only had 3 calls where the other party complained that there was a bad echo.
  6.    #6  
    I think you might have something here... Especially since I usually have people complain when I'm in the car (ambient noise). If that's the case then I wonder where the problem lies. I didn't have the problem with AT&T. I'll try and figure if the background noise is when it happens. Thanks.

Originally posted by dtoombs
    The only time I've had people complain of an echo was whenever there was a lot of ambient background noise. For example - driving in the car with the AC up high, or standing in a noisy server room. If I'm somewhere quiet, I've never run into the problem.

Other than that, I can't find any consistency with the problem. Generally, it works very well so far - in 2 months of having mine, I've only had 3 calls where the other party complained that there was a bad echo.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your input. Yours and others posts seem to point to the service provider. I'm wondering if its a combination of the service provider and what ambient noise causes in their cell systems. It would be good to hear from anyone who has echo on a Treo and had/has another phone with the same service provider. Between the two different phones, does the echo happen on both??? Anyone have another phone along with a Treo who can share their experience???
    I agree, Hawaii would solve a lot of problems ;-)

Originally posted by bbaughman
    I live in Hawaii (T-mobile/Voicestream) and have recently roamed in Portland, OR (T-mobile/Voicestream) with no problems. I love my 270!

The only time I experienced the echo is when I was roaming in the SF Bay area (Cingular) in July. I received complaints on nearly EVERY call for the two weeks that I was there.

It seems to me that the problem is with the service provider and not necessarily the phone. Move to Hawaii and your problems will disappear
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Let me toss in my own experience here.

I'm on Cingular in the SFBay area. I had a Nokia 8290 for a year before the Treo 270. Never a complaint about an echo (although on occasion I would hear my own voice echoing, but that may be another issue). Then I got the Treo, and for the most part, I got no complaints. Except for one person that I called often, and only when I called her cell phone. Her house line gave us no problems, but her cell fed a really loud, almost screeching echo of her own voice back at her, like some sort of demon attack (as she described it).

This led me to believe that perhaps it has something to do with the provider, because it only happened when I was calling someone on a cell phone within the same network area. Pretty much everyone else I call is long distance (I moved here from the East Coast) and they never hear any echos, cell or landline.

But then I replaced my Treo recently (for a different reason), and so far, we haven't gotten the echo, even on her cell. There goes my theory. And of course, since the Nokia never gave me any problems, even recently as I used it again while waiting for my replacement Treo, it can't merely be the service provider. I'm thinking perhaps it's a combination of the provider's network and some of the radios in some of the Treos.

Anyway, it's clear that Handspring knows about this problem, whatever customer service tells you. The people on these threads are in constant contact with Handspring, and the echo issue has been well documented here. My guess is that they're having as much trouble figuring out the problem as we have been, and don't want to admit it.

The replacement seems to have helped me so far. I'll post here if the echo starts happening again.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    i'm from the philippines and i also have same "echo" problems. I did notice that the echo problem gets to be more noticeable when i use the speaker phone. When using the earphone, more often than not, the echo disappears. I beleive this is really a hardware problem.

people in hs should wake up to reality and admit that this is a bug on the treo. I think they are still on a denial stage....
    Originally posted by chuaaa
    [
    people in hs should wake up to reality and admit that this is a bug on the treo. I think they are still on a denial stage.... [/B]
    I have my Treo 270 since they came out in late May. I probably had the echo problem 2 to 3 times and only briefly and I couldn't remember if I was using the headset or not. So I have no complaints at all with Handspring except for the backlight problem that they had resolved already. Also I got my replacement very quick.

I used to have a Visorphone and I had echo problems when using the headset and at high volume. Same carrier on both phones- Voicestream.

BTW, when I had my StarTac and Nextel phones, I also had occasional echo problems. So go figure.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I am on the Orange network in London UK with a Treo 270. I get the echo problem on occasion. I never hear the echo - it's the person on the other line that gets an earfull.

I will try a few different things: switch to earpiece, adjust volume, recall the other party etc..
    Actually, I haven't heard any complaints about the echo since i've installed the GPRS upgrade.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    Actually, I haven't heard any complaints about the echo since i've installed the GPRS upgrade.
    I have echos on my two 270 treos even after the GPRS upgrade. But usually the echo will start in the middle of a conversation, not at the beginning of the call. And sometimes I get no echo at all. I'd say though that the echo problem is not that often
    i've had the same problem intermittently and so have friends.
    i just regard it as "one of those things". what's annoying is it gives non-beliver friends a chance to say "are you using that stupid new gadget you bought?"
    www.GuruAdrian.com
    I agree with you. But you know, there are times that I'm speaking to my wife on her 270 and she is so clear that I think she's at her office or at home, but she's actually driving in the car. It makes me feel good that I didn't throw away hundreds of dollars. And people have told me that they thought I was home when I was talking from my treo, so go figure. The treo is either as good or better than a regular phone but could be as bad or worse than a CB radio. It's funny that people expect better sound quality from a cell phone than most cordless phones have...some cordless phones have a terribly annoying buzz sound!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    It's funny that people expect better sound quality from a cell phone than most cordless phones have...some cordless phones have a terribly annoying buzz sound!
    It's even funnier that we accept poor quality sound on phones, period. In an age where people won't settle for anything less than 5.1 surround sound in their home theatre systems, we still listen to a scratchy, mono, analog drivel from even the best of telephones on the market, be they wireless, cordless, or corded.

There has been relatively little improvement in the phone system since the days of Alexander Graham Bell, though the rest of technology has leapfrogged itself ten times over in the same period of time. Really, what astounding new discoveries have occurred in this extraordinarily important communication realm in the last fifty years? Faceplates and Ringtones?

Okay, cordless and wirless certainly represent advancements. But what gives with the sound quality? Why can't I talk to my mother on the other side of the country in stereo?

The answer, of course, lies in the way the telephone industry is structured. Much like cable television, the relatively few phone companies in this country (and the rest of the world) have almost no motivation to improve their systems, because there's little or no competition in their particular region. People have no alternatives, so they have to live with what they get.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    By the way, the echo is back on my new Treo, from time to time. Go figure.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I live in the United Arab Emirates, I bought a 270 and had the echo problem... baclight went dead on me so i replaced it ... the replacement unit also had the echo problem! ..

Its not an issue of networks or service providers... its a problem in the treo
    HS does not have that relative solid experience in making phones like the big boys (nokia, motorola, ericsson).. so I see it as a mistake from HS.. I wonder how are they living with these phones...

I wonder was this echo an issue with visor phone??
  19.    #19  
    A couple of updates on the echo issue.
    1) I received a replacement unit from HS which they sent when I complained about the echo. And, it did NOT make any difference. I sent it back. So I wouldn't bother getting a replacement unit. What I found out though is that having the volume up more than half way on either the speakerphone or the non-speakerphone very often caused the echo (on both units). So, I now keep the volume at the halfway point and haven't had hardly any instances of echo reported by the other party. It also depends on how loudly the other person talks. I find that half volume is really the right level for me. Sometimes I turn it up when its noisy out and forget to turn it back down when talking later in a quiet place until someone mentions the echo (usually a person with a strong voice).

2) I believe the echo comes from two things. The volume being too high, and the carrier when the signal is weak or I'm in a building or car in certain locations. (I use Cingular and love them - for service, their plans, and overall quality). These echo instances happen even with the volume at halfway. What I notice, if I listen for it, is a slight noise that I can hear when the echo starts to happen (other person lets me know). Its like the signal is switching to a different channel or something. When I hear that, the user always hears an echo. You have to really listen for this though in a quiet area. It seems like the signal goes into another mode or something. Again, only when I have a weak signal. This type of echo happens very infrequently now. I really am not that concerned about it anymore and wouldn't think of using anything else (Treo and Cingular). I reported the echo problem to Cingular about 2 months ago. Don't know if it helped, but it seems to be much better lately.

In summary, I fully agree with other posts here. The echo is not a big issue since it happens infrequently when the signal is stuggling. Overall, the Treo is an awesome asset for me. I use it for so many things and love that its all in one flip top unit. I couldn't design a better unit myself. There's very few products I'd say that about. I also feel better about using a flip top unit since it keeps the antenna about two inches away from my head. Cell phone signals are strong and I was never comfortable with phones that I had to press the whole thing up against my ear. I'm looking forward to the GPRS upgrade for Cingular. Not for GPRS, since I'm very happy with WAP and its low cost in air minutes, but for the other few improvements.

Best Regards to Treo users... and this TreoCentral site. Its great!

Mark
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    It may be too early to say definitively yet, but I've been running my Treo post-GRPS update now for a few weeks, and I haven't had anyone complain about the echo since.

Many others are experiencing the same thing. So maybe Handspring has finally licked this problem once and for all.

Of course, I say that now, and tomorrow maybe it'll come back. But for now, it seems to be erradicated completely.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast