Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry, you've just been lucky. I have the GPRS update and I can tell you that the GPRS update makes no difference and you'll experience the echo again soon!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Drat. I was hoping no one would say that.

Where are you located? Maybe it was a network problem after all, and Cingular finally got their act together in my area (Northern CA) and fixed the problem on their end. And the upgrade to GRPS patch was just a coincidence? Or maybe it was a combined Handspring/Cingular problem, and they've only fixed it for certain networks? I don't know. But I do know that one person in particular that I call every day used to complain about it every day, and now she doesn't complain at all. And she's not the type of person who would ever tire of complaining about it, so I can only assume it's been gone all this time.

We shall see.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I am in Toronto on the Rogers AT&T network and the echo seems to come and go. I think most of the time I DO NOT have an echo. But I would notice it more than you since my wife also has a treo 270.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem with the treo is not the echo but that it is a GSM phone and the higher North American frequency (1900Mhz) does not penetrate buildings as well as the TDMA (or CDMA) networks, and my phone goes into "no service" a lot and suddenly. I can't make or receive calls as easily in malls (for eg.) as I used to with my old Ericsson TDMA phone.
    I also get complaints about the echo 'The Blair Witch', she calls it. First I thought it was only with a certain service provider she is using. But my mother also sometimes has the echo when she calls but not as much or often. I haven't figured out if she was using a GSM or a landline when it occurred.

I think it has to do with a combination of things that causes a kind of loop. Everyone who had the echo says the caller is a 'she'. A high tone usually. Certain phones also give a higher tone, others a lower. And perhaps the quality of the service provider or the nearness has to do with it also. Long distance might lower the tone. If the caller is a smoker also.

Then there is the volume set on the Treo. When it is low, it might not pick up the high tones with the internal microphone and cause the echo. Let's experiment some more with this hypothesis. People have claimed the GPRS update makes a difference. Perhaps only in sofar that it sets the volume level back to default, which prevents the caller feedback loop that causes the echo.

BTW, I also got a replacement (because of the backlight issue) but the echo issue remains. Just last week I installed GPRS, but I haven't spoken to her through the Treo this week.
    ReindeR
    What the hell are you talking about..."smoker and a she"??? Have the flaws in the treo gone to your head? Come on, think like a normal person!!! Bottom line, the treo has an echo problem and noone including Handspring knows why. HS doesn't even admit to it!!!
    Originally posted by asj7
    What the hell are you talking about..."smoker and a she"??? Have the flaws in the treo gone to your head? Come on, think like a normal person!!! Bottom line, the treo has an echo problem and noone including Handspring knows why. HS doesn't even admit to it!!!
    Thanks for your interesting observation. To avoid misunderstandings I would like to stress that I am only suggesting a working hypothesis based on 2 things: the only people complaining about the echo produce high tones, smokers usually have lower voices and they are not the ones complaining about the echo. I now invite others to either falsify or affirm this hypothesis. As long as Handspring remains silent about this and replacing the unit doesn't help, trying to find out what causes this problem is the only we can do. It might even help Handspring since we are the ones with the experiences.
    ReindeR
    I live in france. service provider : orange. Echo from time to time on my treo 270. No specific pattern.
    Happens also with other European providers when I roam. no specific pattern.
    Originally posted by reinder.rustema

Thanks for your interesting observation. To avoid misunderstandings I would like to stress that I am only suggesting a working hypothesis based on 2 things: the only people complaining about the echo produce high tones, smokers usually have lower voices and they are not the ones complaining about the echo. I now invite others to either falsify or affirm this hypothesis. As long as Handspring remains silent about this and replacing the unit doesn't help, trying to find out what causes this problem is the only we can do. It might even help Handspring since we are the ones with the experiences.
    Why do you think smokers usually have lower voices? I know a lot of smokers who have normal voices. Anyways, I think it has something to do with the phone on the other end and how that phone interacts with the treo. Some types of phones exacerbate the problem more than others. But I find now that I'm very insecure with my phone and am always asking the other party if they hear an echo....I guess I can expect this with a $600+ phone!!! This echo problem (alon with countless others) is really pissing me off and making me feel like an ***** for buying this expensive phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12