1.    #1  
    I just wanted to get a consensus to see how well iRing is working for you.

So far Ringo and TC ringers hasn't been updated. So those are just outo f the question for now... Monkeyringer seemed to function on the Treo but i didn't like the interface. So I trashed it...

i ran across iRing... and Wow... no one talks about it but it works!!!! From the start I was able to copy the file and it'll appear in the Ringers list at the bottom. i can easliy rename the files too...

From the iRing application.. the ringers sound terrible. The app uses the piezo speaker built-in to the palm. It's Sounds like those cheesy nokia ringer tones. But when you go to play them in the Pref-> Ringers... It plays through the Treo's polyphonic speaker.. and it makes a world of difference.

Ok heere's the problem.... Like I said you can see all of the ringers I copied at the bottom of the list. There's a menu somewhere in their that allows you to assign the Caller Id, Unkown caller, roaming tone.

I open the speed dial pages and where it asks to enable unique ring... I'm only able to use the three ringers specified above. The standard ringers show up but I don't uses any of those....

I know for sure it's only those three because when I go back and change any of those three selections. The new ringer appears at the botton of the enabled unique ringer list.

I remember with my 6035. I could use I think Jack flash or flash pro to mask those rigners that I didn't want so only the good ones would show up. niether of the two work on the Treo.

Has anyone had better luck with iRing...??? has anyone been able to mask those uncessary ringers?
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
    Ok, this is what I have gotten to work.
    Downloaded IRing, trial.
    Downloaded a ringtone from TreoCentral.
    Sync
    Started Iring, and from the menu selected TC-1 which is the file I got with my ringer from Treocentral
    Selected TC-1 and a little menu opens, select export, then to midi ring tones.
    Went to menu again in iring, and selected ringer prefs
    this opens treos ringer prefs, I can then assign my downloaded ringer to ring.
    I can also go into the speeddials and edit one for a specific ringer, and my downloaded one shows at bottom of list.
    Pretty Cool!
    Last edited by Intysoft; 09/12/2002 at 12:04 AM.
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Ok, now I have selected the ringtone, hit export and export it to system midi sounds, and it will show up in your alarm prefs in datebook app.
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    hmm, I'm getting different results than you guys are...I get a "4340 memory error" and my 300 resets when I try and run iRing. It did let me in a few times, but then I get a crash when I try and get a list of "Midi Ring Tones" I managed to add a ring tone, but now I have one question? How do I get it off the list of ringers in Prefs/Ringers? I deleted iRing and the associated files and it is still there...

CK
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I am not sure I am following you guys,as I have everything described in the thread with TC ringer. But the TREO 300 I believe still allows only to set up rings via the "ringer prerences" menu and there is only three fields.Is this correct or will IRING allow any speed set number to have a specific sound.
    Originally posted by veroi
    I am not sure I am following you guys,as I have everything described in the thread with TC ringer. But the TREO 300 I believe still allows only to set up rings via the "ringer prerences" menu and there is only three fields.Is this correct or will IRING allow any speed set number to have a specific sound.
    When editing speed dial entries, you can specify "Enable unique ring" and then choose the ring. This is standard on the 300.
    Originally posted by cking
    hmm, I'm getting different results than you guys are...I get a "4340 memory error" and my 300 resets when I try and run iRing. It did let me in a few times, but then I get a crash when I try and get a list of "Midi Ring Tones" I managed to add a ring tone, but now I have one question? How do I get it off the list of ringers in Prefs/Ringers? I deleted iRing and the associated files and it is still there...

CK
    I'm in the same boat (should have paid attention).

Does anyone know how to reset the ringers to the factory originals? I have added 2 using iring, but can't run iring anymore.

What fun!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Cage

I'm in the same boat (should have paid attention).

Does anyone know how to reset the ringers to the factory originals? I have added 2 using iring, but can't run iring anymore.

What fun!

Phew, at least I'm not the only one! Hehe...I even hard reset my treo and started from the factory-state, and the added ringer was STILL in the list in the ringer prefs. Does the Treo store it's ringers in a rewriteable ROM or NVRAM?

CK

Another little bit - if you try and export the "system alarm" midi files to the phone ringer side, they are just silent - no sound at all, but you can play them in iRing...weird...guess we can't complain, at least we have something to play with...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    OK. I've got the iRing loaded, and although it has some problems, it does seem to allow you to expand your ringer library.

Now, where can I get some ringers that actually exploit the polymorphic ability of the phone ? I've got ringers from GeekSounds and CreationZone (No way I'm paying $1.47 for a single ringer from TreoCentral !!!). In every case, the ringer plays back a single note at a time.

I was hoping for something closer to what you got with some of the ringers and more service Sprint offers on regular phones.

Any suggestions ?
    Be careful with iRing. Ringers you add are difficult if not impossible to erase. I'm not sure how to get back to just the original ringers, or how much room is available in the memory for ringers.

Don't end up like me, stuck with the theme from 90210 as a ringer choice.
  11.    #11  
    Well I'm not sure what happened but i have ringers that don't work right now.... Under Ringers, they show up but when selected they make they sound of what ever was last selected.

help!!!
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
    Well, I will nominate myself for the "dopey question of the night award" with this gem:

Where the heck can I download IRing?

Thank you. Thank you very much!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Got it -- www.proxyminds.com

Anyway, I too received the 4340 error. I haven't tried it yet, but I would imagine Filez would take care of the ringers you want to get rid of. Since I can't add any, I don't know for sure, but I've had great success with Filez in the past....
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Originally posted by csherman
    Got it -- www.proxyminds.com

Anyway, I too received the 4340 error. I haven't tried it yet, but I would imagine Filez would take care of the ringers you want to get rid of. Since I can't add any, I don't know for sure, but I've had great success with Filez in the past....
    Yes, you can delete the "MIDI Ring Tones" file from within Filez, but that's not the problem. The problem is that this file is recreated the next time you go into the Ringers prefs, and the files you have added thru iRing are still there...they won't die!

Even after a hard reset, my added ring tone was still there...luckily I was just testing and I added one of the stock Palm alarm tones instead of some corny theme song or something...hehe...so I can live with "Phone" being at the bottom of my list...

CK
    For the love of God, the theme to 90210 won't die!

We need something to edit the flash memory where the ringtones are stored. Somehow iRing is able to do so without it being part of the design.

I'm stumped.

Could filez be used to copy the original from someone and replace ours?
    Yes, i was able to get iring to work, but exporting downloaded tones resulted in ringtones that were adequate but not nearly as rich as several of the polyphonic ones that come with the Treo. This just leads me to believe that the best is yet to come, once more 300's are out there and folks start writing ringtones specifically to take advantage of the 300's 128 voices. If anybody knows of some that already are out there, please let me know!
    Originally posted by Cage
    Be careful with iRing. Ringers you add are difficult if not impossible to erase. I'm not sure how to get back to just the original ringers, or how much room is available in the memory for ringers.

Don't end up like me, stuck with the theme from 90210 as a ringer choice.
    Did you ever figure out how to remove 90210? HELP!!
    Csherman,

No luck yet with permanent removal, although I think using the Ringo beta has replaced the 90210 with some of their ringers. Still unable to get rid of all the unwanted ringers, though.

John