Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Just got new Treo 90 after my early production (Nov. 1999) Visor Deluxe broke (gets Zebra lines when any springboard module is inserted and the battery drains in 8 hours no matter what. VDx is now nearly 3 yrs old).

Benchmark 2.0 score for Treo 90 is 164. Benchmark for Vdx is 145. Benchmark for my loner Palm m500 is 154. Are these typical scores? Nice to know Treo is faster than a palm, but my wife's Visor Platinum scores 204. Does color really cause that much speed loss? Anyone use Afterburner with their Treo?

I also find that the machine is much slower to load programs now that I've filled it with 12 mb of stuff.

Other stuff:
    1. Thumb keyboard entry is much slower than using FitalyStamp. 2. The color screen is really nice.
    3. I'm bummed that Silver Screen 2.8.1doesn't allow you to launch with up/down scroll and enter buttons.
    4. Can't wait for deep sleep to be released to keep buttons from turning on Treo cause StayOff Hack certainly doesn't work with Treo
    5. Newpen 1.0 sort of works for graffiti in darkened rooms.
    6. I'm still exploring use of LapTopHack with the keyboard.
    7. Zap2016 is a much more fun game in color.
    8. Treo Button 1.0b5 is a great program for getting to launcher in one button push. Love it.
    9. ReadThis 2.62 is still a great, simple data encryption progarm and works with OS 4.1

And if anyone is upgrading from an early Visor that needed the software patch for the early digitizer problem, remove the patch from your backup folder before you hotsync the new device. Otherwise, your SD slot won't work and neither will beaming. Trust me on this one.

Jon
    I'm using Afterburner with the Treo 90, and am getting timings of around 185% with the default settings and a 64MB SD card. I'm also using the TwoKeyOn hack to keep the unit off (unless I press Power & one other key). So far, no problems. For a single-key app launcher, I just have my "to do" list key re-mapped to my Launcher III app (I seldom access my "to do" list directly, so this worked out for me). I may have to give Treo Button at try, to see if I like it any better.

BDM
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Will have to try Afterburner. Just tried PalmOffHack and it works to keep buttons from turning on Treo, but without registering ($5) only works for two of the four buttons. Power button can be left to operate normally.
    Well I don't know about you guys, but my Treo 90 with the Afterburner hack is getting 255% on Benchmark 2.0, I know it is nothing compared to the Sony's but it is still pretty darned fast.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    Both the 180 and 270 also score around 164 with Benchmark, so it is not a function of color. I thought that maybe the radio was slowing things down - but if the 90 is also running at the same speed, then the radio is not to blame.

Michael
    Where can you get Treo Button? I just searched at PalmGear with no luck...

Thanks!
    Phillip
    how much difference in speed can you get with afterburner? like chaning between apps and such? worth the money? hwo much extra power does it use?
    Afterburner more than doubles the speed of everything on my Treo 90 -- I've owned the utility since my old Palm V. In fact, the few times I've turned off Afterburner, the Palms seem so slow they drive me nuts.

I haven't tried Benchmark, but Speedy reports I'm running at 221% when Afterburner is set at its max 54mHz.

I can't tell any difference in the battery life.

>1. Thumb keyboard entry is much slower than using FitalyStamp.

But much faster and more accurate than Grafitti or Jot.

>3. I'm bummed that Silver Screen 2.8.1doesn't allow you
    > to launch with up/down scroll and enter buttons.

I'm bummed that it displays 10 or 11 apps while the regular Palm launcher screen displays twice that.

-=-Joe
    I get 185% with the speed cranked to max. I have not tried some of the other settings.
    it does make things hop (G)
    I'm using FastCPU, cranked it up to 66 htz, as well as using Quickbits. You;re right, once you put more stuff on the machine it significantly slows down. I've offloaded most of my stuff onto the SD card (128 meg), and since I have over 60 megs of data it takes quite a while for some things to load.

One caveat and maybe an open question to you all: do you find your treo crashing a lot when using hacks? which is the most stable "accelerator"? FastCPU is definitely UNSTABLE.

And any one read about adverse effects of overclocking? THe only program I use with confidence is Quickbits, and I do in fact notice a big difference in text scrolling speed.
    I have 5 or 6 hacks and mine never crashes unless I try to do something that is not supported.
    How do you mean "unsupported"?

Sorry, i'm a relative newbie.
    like trying to print and trying thigns that I don't have. in other words learning what the buttons do on new software.
    I jsut tired quickbits and see no speed difference. afterburner does a better job.
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Hey, watch out with Quickbits. Zap2016 won't run with it turned on after a few uses of the game. Other programs on SD cards also get screwy with quickbits on the Treo 90. I don't see any meaningful increase in speed for anything with quickbits.

Afterburner definitely speeds things up, but there are still stability problems.

Fitaly 3 is coming by the end of the year. Then I'll have fast input.

Newpen 1.3 causes crashes all the time. ( I use it in dark conference rooms- no, not always playing Zap or Bejewelled).

Just a few comments.
    Jon
    for quick input try text plus. it pops up a list of words as you enter text. the cool thing is it pops up the one you use the most first after a bit. and it does phrases too.
    Is there any fear that a product like Afterburner could have an adverse affect on the Treo? I've heard that overclocking can damage the unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    according to the writer no. and it seems unlikly. if you saw crashes then you would know it is not working well.
    I have tried both afterburner and fast cpu and both work equally well.
    However, If you couple these programs with a simple programs named paperclip you can go even futher. I have my treo 90 overclocked to only 37 mhz yet it benchmarks at 371.
    This is because the ratio between ram and cpu cycles is optimized through the use of the paperclip program even though that is not what the program is supposed to be used for.
    Handspring pda's are unlike palm's pda's in the fact that when you soft reset them, the ram wait stated can be changed. Palm's pda always reset to their default values.
    I've also done this with my visor Neo and can get them to benchmark at 455. These pda's can really take on any newcomer.
    If anyone is interested in how to do this just contact me.
    See ya.
    I am interested but a bit confused. Could you go into greater detail here for all of us diehard treo 90 users?

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios
    I have tried both afterburner and fast cpu and both work equally well.
    However, If you couple these programs with a simple programs named paperclip you can go even futher. I have my treo 90 overclocked to only 37 mhz yet it benchmarks at 371.
    This is because the ratio between ram and cpu cycles is optimized through the use of the paperclip program even though that is not what the program is supposed to be used for.
    Handspring pda's are unlike palm's pda's in the fact that when you soft reset them, the ram wait stated can be changed. Palm's pda always reset to their default values.
    I've also done this with my visor Neo and can get them to benchmark at 455. These pda's can really take on any newcomer.
    If anyone is interested in how to do this just contact me.
    See ya.
    Hey Antmelnat or anyone still interested about the treo 90 overclocking. Just email me if you want to be able to overclock your treo 90 to above 350 with benchmark 2. See ya.