Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    There is a new phone application at handango, it works very well to complement the TREO Buil In System, in particular it is geared to "one hand" use
    But would it be too much trouble for you to give us the link or name of the program? What a concept!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Take Phone at www.handandgo.com

Sorry about the problem
    You know, TakePhone works great for me. I have 15,000 contact record entries and the regular Treo phone app is *so* slow searching for those at the end of the alphabet... like . . . say... Tom Wagner. The new TakePhone was just as slow until I went to preferences and selected the Palm "turbo" [normally default for Palm devices] mode. Now it *rips* through the database! You can't even tell there are 15,000 rather than 15! *Much* improvement over the default Treo contacts app.

I'll register for sure!
    Doug
    Doug
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Yeah! the TURBO function is awesome, I also like the option that you can do part of a last name , use AND. part of the first name and then provide you a ZOOM view if the number of matches is less than 10.
    ...and TakePhone is available where?

Originally posted by DougLucas
    You know, TakePhone works great for me. I have 15,000 contact record entries and the regular Treo phone app is *so* slow searching for those at the end of the alphabet... like . . . say... Tom Wagner. The new TakePhone was just as slow until I went to preferences and selected the Palm "turbo" [normally default for Palm devices] mode. Now it *rips* through the database! You can't even tell there are 15,000 rather than 15! *Much* improvement over the default Treo contacts app.

I'll register for sure!
    Doug
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    ...and TakePhone is available where?

I'll register for sure!
    Doug
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I have takephone but am not as pleased
    I thought it would just replace the contact app, so that i could still use the treo speed dial screen and the dial pad.

with the treo app you can scroll through speed dial, dial pad, contact and log each time you hit the phone key.

Has anyone been able to maintain that functionality and simply replace the basic contacts with takephone?
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    You can keep your TREO functionality and use TakePhone for contact only by goingin the preferences of TakePhone and un-check TakePhone as phonebook default
    if people (not you!) were actually reading the posts that interest them they would find you already posted where to find this new phone app. I like it so far, but I don't see how it works with one hand. How do you move around to the different options (zoom, or pick letters without typing on the keyboard)?

thanks

(I'll read the manual too!)
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    veroi is right. To me, the best configuration is to set TakePhone up so it starts upon opening the flip. Leave the Treo app. tagged to the phone hot button. That way you preserve quick access to both. When you press the phone button, you'll be taken to the dialpad, rather than the speed-dial screen (normal default). But all you have to do is use the stylus to select the first mini-screen in the lower lefthand corner (the speed-dial pad) or just click the phone button 4 times instead of 1.

I haven't experimented with it yet, but it looks like TakePhone's speed dial would probably work well enough to meet *my* needs. I only need about 10 speeddial numbers, actually, and the rest I found I was always looking up in my database. And like I said above, that was taking *forever* with 15000 names. A friend with an old palm would beat me hands down and then make fun by saying (while I was standing there tapping my foot), "And your phone is supposed to be an *upgrade*?" :-)
    Doug
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Christo 1970:
    I used a program called 1 Button which I have configure to handle ( Avantgo,In Box To Go, Docs To Go and another program ). This program allows you really to make reality a one button approach and minimize the use of a stylus.

Check this out.
    I haven't experimented with it yet, but it looks like TakePhone's speed dial would probably work well enough to meet *my* needs. I only need about 10 speeddial numbers, actually, and the rest I found I was always looking up in my database.
    Hi,

Just a comment - you can have as much entries as you want in TAKEphONE's speed-dial, and scroll through them in the "Zoom" screen using the Up/Down buttons or the Jog-Dial (excuse me - "Rocker-Switch")

Thanks,
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    whoa -- the author himself!
    Thanks for checking in.
    ... and thanks for the tip on speed dial!

Hey... honest... great program you've got there. I meant what I said (above) about the 15,000 entires. And it doesn't stutter in the least!

It's hard for an individual to improve on something put out by a company like Handspring -- but you've done it! :-)
    Doug
    Doug
    Hi,

Thank YOU for the complements.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    My only other complaint with Takephone is that it remembers that last search so that when you go back to it you need to backspace over the letters -- why does'nt it start you with a clean search?
    Originally posted by veroi
    You can keep your TREO functionality and use TakePhone for contact only by goingin the preferences of TakePhone and un-check TakePhone as phonebook default
    I am using 4.64e and there does not seem to be an option for TakePhone as phonebook default.

There is a Phone button runs take phone -- this does not work becuase you cannot get back to the TREO speedials

There is a launch takephone on flip open -- this does not work for the same reason.
    The other feature that the TREO app has is that you can start typing in letters from the speed dial screen and it moves directly to the addresss book and starts the search...

If we could figure out how to get takephone to support that it would be great.
    Originally posted by robdes
    My only other complaint with Takephone is that it remembers that last search so that when you go back to it you need to backspace over the letters -- why does'nt it start you with a clean search?
    Hi,

"when you go back to it" --> do you mean you go to ANOTHER s/w, and get back to TAKEphONE, and it remembers ?

If so - you need to turn this off at
    "Options/Find preferences" -> "Keypad mode preferences"...
    ("Remember last search" option).

Anyway - you do not need to BackSpace more than once - if you have more than one search character - tap and HOLD the "BkSp/CLR" button to clear all search.

Hope this helps,
    Shimon Shnitzer