1.    #1  
    Does anybody knows a better IMAP4 mail capable program than Iambic ?
    MultiMail Pro
    PaPi-Mail

Registered versions of both support IMAP quite well.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use Multimail Pro, and it works well. However, I've had some problems with it "locking up" in bad signal areas. With the Kyocera Smartphone it required a hard reset when it would lock up. Haven't had that problem with Treo - a soft reset has always fixed it <fingers crossed>

Danita
  4.    #4  
    I believe that PAPI mail operates better in an IMAP4 environment due to the Purge command it has !

But anyway thanks
    katris
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by katris
    I believe that PAPI mail operates better in an IMAP4 environment due to the Purge command it has !
    I decided to try PAPI, and I'm totally unimpressed. My "inbox" that I set it to download has 257 messages it in - when I did a "list" command, it showed 257 messages, but CONTINUALLY timed out after grabbing one message. I thought perhaps the "second" message had a problem, so I moved it out of the folder, but then it timed out again on the second message (formerly third). Moved the 1st and second messages out thinking it might have been the 1st - still timed out. I can only "guess" that it doesn't like that many messages! I thought maybe it's because the demo version can only list 6 messages, so I tried it with a test account that only has 6 messages in the mailbox - it would never even return one message before timing out. Won't work for me I'm afraid.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    After PAPI totally failed on my mailbox, I decided to download IAMBIC to see what it's like. It is VERY slow. Of course, since I'm on GPRS that's not such a huge issue, but I've been connected right now for 22 minutes and it's downloaded 59 HEADERS. I'll see what it's like once the original 257 messages are in the mailbox. I tried downloading "1st 10 messages", but unfortunately that really is "1st" 10 messages, rather than the 10 most recent messages.

So far I'd say Multimail wins my IMAP thumbs up. Also, Multimail lets you "sync" the mailbox - changes on the Palm go to the server, changes on the server to the Palm. I haven't looked at the docs close enough with IAMBIC - it says you can delete the messages from the server when you delete them from the Palm, but I'm not sure yet whether messages deleted at the server also get deleted on the Palm (very huge point for me).

Danita
    I have been using IMAP based sloutions on pda's for a few years now and they have all been kind of klunky and slow 50% of the time. When using an IMAP enabled mail app on my 270, things often go wrong if I loose signal for a second or so.

Due to the stability problems with IMAP4 & pda's I have decided to switch back to POP3 and now use Mailer. This is exceptionally fast compared to multimail pro which I also own and much more stable in poor signal areas.

I have tried so many IMAP enabled apps and they all lock up my 270 when the signal strength gets a bit low. As far as I am concerned, reliability counts.... POP3 in this instance is better for me.

Paul
    Paul Upton
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by pupton
    I have tried so many IMAP enabled apps and they all lock up my 270 when the signal strength gets a bit low. As far as I am concerned, reliability counts.... POP3 in this instance is better for me.
    Indeed - this seems to be a problem. Wish POP3 wasn't such a nasty protocol <G>.

Danita
  9.    #9  
    PaPi works fine with my account ( it is an Exhange Server). I've got the registered version and it performs well. For example just now I've downloaded 20 headers with no big delay and I perform purging in some of Them.
    Does anybody knows or tested the official Treo Mail that Handspring released recently ?
    I received an email from Handspring last week about going on a beta program for Treomail.

Having played around with it for a while, it still has the same problems that all IMAP enabled products have and thats stability in low signal areas.

Imap4 is a bit more chatty than simply POP3 so the amount of traffic that gois across the wireless link is greater and therefore more suseptable to cut off than the good old POP3.

the only reliable IMAP4 clients that I have ever used on wireless devices are the old Nokia 9110 email application and the newer Pocket PC IPAQ 3870.

Historically, I have only ever used IMAP4 but now I am switching back to POP3 as I love my Treo 270 to much to part with it just because I cannot find a reliable IMAP4 product.

:shortcut:
    Paul Upton
    I recently found Tapmail EE which seems to be a very capable multi-account email app in the same mold as MultiMail. It supports IMAP but I only use it for SMTP.

You can get the trial here: http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m&prodID=42516

Perhaps the conclusion has to be that IMAP is just not very good for mobile access due to its chattiness. It sounds like Outlook to me - lots of seemingly pointless background server communication.
    I switched all my email to IMAP4 about 6 months back. Was sick of pop3 and losing messages between multiple workstations. I'm so used to it being the best way of working with email... I hate the idea of going back to pop3.

I've also tried all the applications mentioned with the same results. Freezes up in low signal areas. But I found that using Sprint's Business Connection it works fine. The only real IMAP connection is from your desktop to the server... so i've had no problems.

Of course, i'll have to pay $5/mo after a few months of using it for free... and that's not cool So i'm hoping the perfect IMAP solution will come out sometime.

I did like the interface and usage of Multimail though. Too bad it just flakes out like the others. *shrug*.

Gabe
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
  13.    #13  
    IMAP4 works fine. Maybe the reason is that the Server belongs to my company (since we are professionally involved in Web Design & Hosting). The Server in an Exchange 2000 and maybe this can make the difference !!!

Anyway I bought PaPi, so if anyone wants to exchange it with another mailer such as MultiMail just mail me

katris@noisis.gr

Thanks,
    Christopher
    katris
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    I use Multimail Pro, and it works well. Danita
    MultiMail does not even show all of my (9 or 10) IMAP Folders... a pitty.
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    So far I'd say Multimail wins my IMAP thumbs up.Danita
    I've been trying out a couple of IMAP mail clients and so far the Papi-mail demo works best. Thinking about bying it.

Haven't tried Multimail yet though. Where can I find it, it's not listed anywhere. Does it still exist or was this the one Palm bought to turn into their email app?

Thanks,
    Mm.
    Last edited by Milkman; 11/18/2002 at 10:33 AM.