1.    #1  
    ...synchronizes with Lotus Notes for free and faster than any other phone via Sprint Mobile Email and Desktop Connector

...has the fastest keyboard/button combination: the narrowest one-handable qwerty keyboard (now rubberized), plus 5-way nav

...lets me input directly using my PC's screen and keyboard with PDAReach

Why did they not replace the nav buttons on the Pre and Pixi with equivalents in the gesture area? I don't just mean swipe left and right, but hold left and right, and hold up and down. Sure a phone can look more like an iPhone without the hard buttons, but then it's also as navigationally crippled if you don't provide directional holding or cursoring. Why flick, flick, flick... when you can press and hold? Why have to expand a tiny link before clicking it accurately or poke several times to get the cursor right where you want it, when you can just nav to it without error? It can't be that hard to implement. I just don't get it. The swiping-only style of navigating quickly its novelty when I realized how much more tedious it is. I'm not saying put buttons on it, but at least soft buttons.

My old black Centro finally started falling apart after dropping it, kicking it, and sliding it across every imaginable surface over the last 3 years, and I was absolutely seduced by the look and feel of both the Pre and the Pixi, but I can't slow down my operations (and will anyone argue that this is not the case?), not to mention losing the ability to directly enter data from the PC into the phone or copy and paste between the two seemlessly (though I think Evernote might provide something workable, I haven't tried it).

So instead of switching I bought me a new olive green Centro on eBay and I maintained my speed and productivity 100%. I'm still being seduced by that sexy slim Pixi, but I keep hearing it's slow (not to mention the navigational issue I just described). I may need to just try it for myself. Maybe later. I'm enjoying my new Centro for now. (And the new rubberized keys make it even faster than it already was.)

Will I be stuck with the Centro? I don't know. I don't expect Desktop Connector to be around forever, and maybe they'll add the sorely missing navigational functions. Until then, the Centro it is.
    Last edited by jukeboxjoe; 11/18/2010 at 12:52 PM.
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    Greetings,
    I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I just bought a new Centro from Ebay for the very reasons you mentioned. I am still using a Treo 680 which has been through the wash and survived.
    I keep looking at the Pre but it all seems so cloud based. No editable spreadsheet yet. Even though it has a big screen, the amount of information on it seems less. Maybe because it needs big space as buttons ? I don't know.

Regards,
    Larry
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    And there's a bunch more of us who will be sticking with the Centro because it was the last of the smartphones that didn't require a $30 data plan. We'll stick with our Centro and its original per-MB data plan (and keep data switched off most of the time).

And with data turned off, battery life becomes fantastic.
    Last edited by jj2me; 12/16/2010 at 08:02 AM.
    ...and while I am at it. At the risk of being labeled a luddite I was really disappointed to read that WebOS 2 has had the old Palm rom pulled making Classic useless. That would have been an acceptable option at least for me.
  5.    #5  
    Yup. Me too. And I agree - it seems like less information relative to the space. But my biggest gripe is that the swipey way of getting your information is not as fast as the nav button, I don't care how fast you can swipe. And you can kiss one-handed operation goodbye (unless you have Wilt Chamberlain fingers).
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    The D-Pad on the POS phones was perfect for classic games like Pac-Man, Spy Hunter, NES/Atari emulators, and other shooters. The Pre made all those games unplayable without a D-pad. The swiping back is a little laggy compared to just push a d-pad to the left. Still, I would not go back. Just wish the Pre had the D-pad.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerl View Post
    ...and while I am at it. At the risk of being labeled a luddite I was really disappointed to read that WebOS 2 has had the old Palm rom pulled making Classic useless. That would have been an acceptable option at least for me.
    I missed this. Classic was a must have to jump to the Pre for me if/when my Centro dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I missed this. Classic was a must have to jump to the Pre for me if/when my Centro dies.
    You cannot record calls on Palm Pre, but I am happily doing it in my Centro with mVoice.
    When I first got my Centro, I was reckless in getting anything that I think I could use. This filled up the Centro's memory so that it has slowed down considerably. I just bought a Centro on ebay. Does anyone have experience doing a SELECTIVE BACKUP with NV backup?
    iirc NV backup does not have a selective backup option, but it does have a selective restore. I've done selective restores in the past, no problems, nv backup worked as advertised. one gotcha is you may have to re-enter registration codes for software that you selectively restore (i finally wised up a couple years back and wrote all of them down into a memo), since typically your registration info is in the prefs database.