Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a long time palm user and have been using my 755P for a few years now. With the release of all these new smartphones I am wondering (like many of you) if there is anything comparable.

Here are some features that really enjoy:

* 1 handed operation. I feel like the other phones have not mastered this concept yet. Palm really kept it simple enabling 1 handed operation.

* web browser automatically sizes everything no need to pinch and extract. I can't figure out why other phone makers have not caught on to this. WAP has been around for a long time that resizes html pages to be viewed on pages. I enjoy surfing the net (while eating a sandwich in the other hand) and not have to worry about pinching and zooming.

* palm pre promoted the ability to multitask. the treo has 4 buttons that allows me to easily switch between my contacts, calendar, mail and notepad. I can also switch to the web my holding the side button. another example of 1 handed operation. I stood in line and used the palm pre but did not like it. I will say though if you lost a pre that you could call to have the phone and data wiped out seems like a great idea.

* battery life is excellent

* rugged. I have dropped my phone many times and it keeps working

* keypad. I really enjoy the keypad and wished the form factor was more like the blackberry curve.

Of course with all the likes there are some dislikes.

* constant headache trying to synch with outlook. using versamail
    * with the released of android I am wondering if I am missing out on all these apps
    * camera quality is weak
    * no flash video capability

Has anyone found some phones that you would consider to be on par with the features I described above? Has anyone heard if HP is planning on releasing new treo models?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    There is nothing even close to the 755p out there. ?I had gotten a HTC Touch Pro 2 and went back to the Palm...The keyboard is one handed if I want to type with both hands, i'd get my laptop out. dialing is one handed, so simple even a child could do it. The only phone i am anxious to see is the new Pre2 it will pain me to switch to verizon, but the significant thing about that phone is the the new designed keyboard, curved like the 755p. The first pre didnt have that....

At least I can still find plenty of refurb 755p on Ebay if and whenSprint runs out..
  3.    #3  
    yeah I went to the store yesterday and really liked all these new android and windows smartphones. The only issue is whether I want to give all the features I mentioned in my orig post.

the web browsing is what really gets me....the WAP standard was launched years ago so why do I have to pinch and expand to see web pages? why can't they just resize automatically like on the treo??

is there anything comparable to a treo 755p on the market?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Yes this is correct, the 755 p is a superior phone. Superior even to the newest model that will come out tomorrow. I appreciate the ability to use SERO at $40 per month. I appreciate the fine coverage I get from Sprint. The simplicity of the address book may never be replicated. The text program is awesome and leaves nothing to be desired. I especially appreciate all those bleeding edge Techies that go before me and provide verbal proof of their escapades with lower functioning mobile phones. The 750p is a real phone of genius and most importantly a workhorse.
  5.    #5  
    I hope HP really expands the offering....like to see the webos in a treo 755p form factor....
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdeals View Post
    I am a long time palm user and have been using my 755P for a few years now. With the release of all these new smartphones I am wondering (like many of you) if there is anything comparable.

Here are some features that really enjoy:

* 1 handed operation. ....

* web browser ....

* palm pre promoted the ability to multitask. ....

* battery life is excellent ....

* rugged. ....

* keypad. ....

Of course with all the likes there are some dislikes.

* constant headache trying to synch with outlook. using versamail
    * with the released of android I am wondering if I am missing out on all these apps
    * camera quality is weak
    * no flash video capability

Has anyone found some phones that you would consider to be on par with the features I described above? Has anyone heard if HP is planning on releasing new treo models?
    Your question reads more like, "is there any other smartphone out there like a Treo that is better than a Treo," not "is there any smartphone out there better than a Treo." Then you cite some of the specific features of the Treo as optimal (and also unique to the device) as though they were the epitome of the design.

The logic is flawed.

I admit (and I still have two unused Treo 755p's sitting in a drawer I am having a difficult time parting with, as well as an unused Palm T|X) that there were things I positively loved about the Treo, notably its' one-handedness. (I do, however, have two hands...so that was never a deal breaker).

I hated the Treo browser after a while. Wap is neolithic at this point, folks. Not because there's anything inherently wrong with it, but because web designers just don't give a damn, embedding flash, java and all other kinds of useless crap in their sites assuming that anyone mobile browser can swallow it and spit it back. That's wrong but it's life in 2010, 2011, etc.

And Activesync with Exchange? Fuggedaboutit. Once I closed my solo practice and joined a firm which was Exchange centered, my Treo was completely useless. That fact alone plus: (1) the firm's refusal to pay ransom to RIM for a Blackberry Information server saved me from Blackberry, and (2) the imminent demise of Palm; (3) our IT people's complaints about WebOS and exchange drove me to Android.

The browser is infinitely better. Almost all of the Garnet and WebOS apps have equivalents or better on Android at this point. There are 3 apps, only 3 which I sorely miss:

Agendus
    Shadowplan, and
    HandyShopper.

oh, yes, and Bejeweled

(then again, Angry Birds makes you forget about the rest of the world.)

As to battery life, more and more these devices are shrunken laptop computers. You cannot cram quite so much processing power into a smartphone and expect 24+ hour battery life. You want several days of battery? Get a feature phone. The Treo lacks the processing power that many new phones has, and that costs battery life. That having been said, a rooted Android phone with custom ROM and kernel can rival the Treo's battery life (mine does).

And my Android phone has an 8 megapixel camera (which blows the Treo's to Kingdom Come). As to the keyboard --- that's personal preference. I like a hardware keyboard very much, but the ability of Swiftkey Beta to literally predict my next word more than overcomes the vicissitudes of a software keyboard.

My point is not that Android (or any other platform or smartphone) is better; it's that your question assumes what the answer is.

I will grant you that the Garnet OS was the best mobile OS I have ever seen in 22 years of mobile computing, and nothing before or since tops it for simplicity and ease of use.
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Not only is the Treo a GREAT phone, the original Palm PIM and desktop cannot be beat. While I now use a Blackberry for work, I still keep my Palm DT up to date (with some 3,500 contacts) and use it for quick lookups and dialing from the computer. My family still uses two treos as basic smart phones. WebOS does not give you a hard-drive sync and that is very important to me.

B B
    @hgoldner

ToMarket for Android is a very close replacement for HandyShopper. You can even import your HandyShopper data (have to manipulate it a little with spreadsheet).
  9.    #9  
    my list was merely to point out what made the treo or palm great. now I understand that the new phones today have a lot more apps and features than the treo.

I constantly have issues synching with outlook which has prompted me to make a change to either the blackberry or perhaps one of the android phones.

having to pinch in and out to get the web pages sized right really has me on the fence. i can browse web pages on the treo without having to worry about all that stuff.

any idea why they can't get the web pages to size right on these new devices? I feel like I'm using an antiquated device while everyone has these neat zifty new devices..
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdeals;
    my list was merely to point out what made the treo or palm great. now I understand that the new phones today have a lot more apps and features than the treo.

I constantly have issues synching with outlook which has prompted me to make a change to either the blackberry or perhaps one of the android phones.

having to pinch in and out to get the web pages sized right really has me on the fence. i can browse web pages on the treo without having to worry about all that stuff.

any idea why they can't get the web pages to size right on these new devices? I feel like I'm using an antiquated device while everyone has these neat zifty new devices..
    Maybe it's that I haven't used my old Treo's to browse the web in a very lng time (since they don't have wifi capabilities) but I don't know what you mean by saying the Treo browser resized pages properly but modern phones do not.

My Pre sizes pages just fine. I double tap an area and it will zoom in for optimal viewing. No pinching or zooming is required in most cases.

One thing I'd give the Treo, though, is the fact that it doesn't just zoom in on text; it will rewrap it in a helpful manner. I used to miss this feature (which is missing from both, my Pre and my iPad) but I don't even think about it anymore.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11.    #11  
    try browsing the web on an iphone, blackberry, android or any other non palm phone.

you will notice the web pages come up BUT you then have to pinch to enlarge the page so it is readable.

on the palm devices none of this is required because the web pages appear sized and ready to read
    Did you read my entire message?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Did you read my entire message?
    yes that is why I am asking is there another smartphone out there that will automatically resize the browser window so I don't have to pinch and zoom out
    i think if you want to stay in the palm family the Pixi is more suited to a Treo or rather Centro comparison when it comes to the one handed aspect. I too still have a NITB 755P and give it a second look every once in a while.

For me the browser on webOS blows away garnet and as mentioned sizes pages properly. As for WAP, that ship has long since sailed, not only because of developer abandonment but also because the devices have evolved to handle more sophisticated elements.

The only device out there that looks remotely close to the Treo is the Motorola Droid Pro. It is on Verizon so no SERO.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by iralevine View Post
    i think if you want to stay in the palm family the Pixi is more suited to a Treo or rather Centro comparison when it comes to the one handed aspect. I too still have a NITB 755P and give it a second look every once in a while.

For me the browser on webOS blows away garnet and as mentioned sizes pages properly. As for WAP, that ship has long since sailed, not only because of developer abandonment but also because the devices have evolved to handle more sophisticated elements.

The only device out there that looks remotely close to the Treo is the Motorola Droid Pro. It is on Verizon so no SERO.
    I have been using the treo 755p on sprint for a long time and have been looking to jump to another phone primarily because I keep having problems syncing with outlook.

It baffles me why the blackberry, iphone and android phones can't auto size the web pages....that is the only thing holding me back from making the jump
    I agree 100% with your list of treo benefits (plus the PIM apps), and thus am still using my Treo 680. Re the browser on new phone - yeah, scrolling side to side and/or zooming seems like a pain. One thought however, I suppose nothing prevents you from restricting yourself to mostly mobile sites even on webos etc. most major websites have a mobile version, and if they don't, you can have google squeeze/reformat it (i do that w/ my treo today). I may try this out on my wife's pixi later today...
  17.    #17  
    with so much hype around apps and app stores I would think someone out there could create an app (if it's not already avaiable) for these new smartphones that would autosize the browser windows.

anyone up for the challenge? you have to admit the treo is it's simplicity does the job! webos and the palm pre line just did not do it for me.
    I dropped my Treo phone three times last year and I broke it three times. The third time, instead of buying one more Treo (on eBay, imported illegally from China with a sub-standard quality of parts), I decided to buy a Droid with a slider keyboard. Loved the browser and the big screen, hated the slider keyboard. Last month bough a Droid Pro. So far love it.

Pluses:
    - A modern browser that can view any web page, including flash-bases, and in any language. Treo 755p could only handle very simple pages, some could not open at all, and could not handle foreign language stuff either.
    - A SIM card. It is a global phone. Can easily use it abroad.
    - Pandora radio is 100x times better than Sirius or XM satellite radio, and it is free.
    - WiFi. A lot faster, can stream internet music and videos. Can check email and browse the web for free while sitting in MacDonald's in Moscow, even if I didn't pay for the cell service.
    - Free laptop tethering (download PDAnet app). No more monthly tethering fees.
    - Awesome camera. The Treo camera was a waste of pixels.
    - The keyboard is almost just as good as (and some would say better than) on the Treo.
    - Download "Note Everything" app for a notepad application. Unlike Treo, there is no limit on the number of categories. Can make "durable" reusable checklists for things like shopping.
    - GPS navigation with voice directions and full-featured Google Maps is better than any dedicated GPS! The 755p didn't even have a cell tower triangulated GPS. The "lite" version of Google Maps was only good enough to look up static directions and phone numbers. The Droid version is the best GPS ever. I just moved into a new town and had been using it daily, sometimes hourly. It even has store hours and restaurant ratings and reviews.
    - The Droid has almost replaced my laptop. There are days when I do not touch my laptop anymore. An amazing feeling, not having to return to my desk or to drag a laptop with me. I browse the web, do email, banking, everything! With my old Treo the phone browser was only good enough to read Google or Yahoo news and weather and that's pretty much it.
    - I love the pinch and resize feature. Or you can just double-tap on the text that you want to read and it will center, resize and "re-wrap" and make itself readable just like on the Palm. And, unlike on the Palm, you will never have to scroll left and right to see where the text that you want to read is. You can also browse the pages in the portrait and in the landscape modes by simply rotating the phone. The browser is hands down better.
    - Fork! The Droid has a spell checker. A voice-to-text too, if you are into this.

Minuses:
    - I am not missing the dedicated app buttons that I had on the Treo, although they were nice. You can setup keyboard shortcuts to launch apps, but shortcuts are not a single-handed thing though, so I do not use them. The side button is still programmable (just like on the Treo).
    - The Calendar and the Tasks applications are not well-developed yet. Clunky and missing some functionality. Palm started as an organizer first, whereas everything else started as phone-based gadgets. But Palm stopped improving things long time ago, whereas Droid has caught up and passed Palm in most areas.
    - I miss the ease with which the Palm OS was so easy to navigate. Too bad this OS is dead.
    - The battery life on my Droid 1 was very good, but on Droid Pro it is slightly shorter. If you want to keep the GPS disabled and wifi turned off like on the Treo then it will last as long as the Treo or longer.

I love my Droid Pro because of the keyboard. The drawback is that the high-resolution screen makes my eyes tired after a while. The Droid 2 has a bigger screen and a slider keyboard. The Droid X has a humongous screen and no keyboard (I know, not an option for most keyboard-addicted junkies here). Any one of these phones is superior to Treo.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $once$ $amazing$ $Palm$ $Treo$ $platform$ $is$ $dead$. $RIP$.
    Last edited by whothehelltook; 01/10/2011 at 09:36 PM.
  19.    #19  
    thanks for the post. this is the kind of stuff I was looking for so I will check out the droid.

like to hear from more smartphone users...also researching what announcements came out of CES last week.
    I tried the Palm Pre the minute it came out...within a week I switched back to the 755p. I have found nothing that is as reliable or responsive.

Reading this thread demonstrates that I am not alone. The Palm OS is (was) great. The extra $ each month for insurance to Sprint are really worth it. They replace it on the spot.

Thanks for the posts everyone. The Palm 755p just works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast