Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pacosdad View Post
    I tried the Palm Pre the minute it came out...within a week I switched back to the 755p. I have found nothing that is as reliable or responsive.

Reading this thread demonstrates that I am not alone. The Palm OS is (was) great. The extra $ each month for insurance to Sprint are really worth it. They replace it on the spot.

Thanks for the posts everyone. The Palm 755p just works.
    "Classic" wasn't good enough for ya, eh? I really enjoyed my 755p - so much so that I haven't had it in me to part with it, yet.

That said, the Internet speeds were too damned painful for words. The bar was raised and my poor lil 755p couldn't reach it.

Of course, that's just ONE bar. There are still things that PalmOS does that iOS hasn't matched. Sadly, the popularity of the iPhone killed five-way navigation. Too bad...if only because of the gaming potential. We won't get into document editing convenience. Nothing beats the ease of doing much of that on PalmOS - not even webOS.

That said, I will stick with my Pre until a suitable webOS replacement hits the scene.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The one thing about my beloved Treo 755p I hate is the web browser. Opera never worked right for me. My DH loves his iPhone (I bought it for him) but he hates AT&T, so he can't wait to get the newest one from VZW next month. I'll look at the new Pre 2, but my 755 will always be my favorite.
    I'm still using my 755p and did get a Droid with slide out keyboard. I was amazed how much and how fast that thing sold on eBay as a new phone. The two reasons I still use my Treo 755p is the ir port and the fact that the new droid still did not handle my business website as I needed it to (it has frames).

I like the web browsing and other bells and whistles but I still use the function of the 755. Maybe they will have something for me soon as I am about to resign from my current profession.
    I'd use my 755p more (as a general pda) if it had frickin' wifi. That was a killer omission.

Anyway, one thing I don't miss about my 755p is the power button/screen off/hang up call options all being in the same button. If I wanted to turn off the screen because I didn't want to accidentally press something on the touchscreen or waste power during a call, I'd naturally reach for the power button. Pressing that button, though, will also hang up the call I was on.

Annoying. As. Hell.

Some didn't make a big fuss over this but those of us who encountered it often enough were sick t'death of it.
    Woke up yesterday morning to a dead phone. forgot to put it on the charger. When I put it on the charger it went into a start-up loop. Dang! Evidently it lost power during a daily software update & it currupted the os. So I had to do a hard device reset to set it back to new defaults. After that I synced it to my computer and wham, back in business. This ability/feature is PRICELESS. All of my settings, phone logs, text logs, etc., are back to what they were the last day I synced it to my computer. I only lost 8 days of phone data. I did get the newer changes to my calendar & address book, the ones made on my computer the last few days. I can't imagine giving that up.

My phone log goes back over a year as well as text chats that have not been deleted by me.

Yes there are things I would like to figure out on this thing but all in all it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rspi View Post
    Woke up yesterday morning to a dead phone. forgot to put it on the charger. When I put it on the charger it went into a start-up loop. Dang! Evidently it lost power during a daily software update & it currupted the os. So I had to do a hard device reset to set it back to new defaults. After that I synced it to my computer and wham, back in business. This ability/feature is PRICELESS. All of my settings, phone logs, text logs, etc., are back to what they were the last day I synced it to my computer. I only lost 8 days of phone data. I did get the newer changes to my calendar & address book, the ones made on my computer the last few days. I can't imagine giving that up.

My phone log goes back over a year as well as text chats that have not been deleted by me.

Yes there are things I would like to figure out on this thing but all in all it works for me.
    What's the value of having a year of call log info on your phone? That and the saved texts seem almost valueless, to me.

What makes that useful to you and others like you?
    I would like to add to the features that I really like on my Treo (i have a 755 and 700, the 700 is my primary device)

very easy memory card access. I carry a very small micro card reader and can easily move files from phone to phone or to any pc with a usb port.

most all of the new phones bury the memory card under the battery. well now I get to reboot and wait....and wait a bit more!

Dedicated programmable hard keys for really quick access to the programs/apps I use most.

no need for data connection to use ALL of my data.
    WEST3MAN: Well, I use my phone for business and that logs help me track things down months later. I have gone back 3 to 6 months and found a phone number that I used to track down a client or customer.

The day before yesterday I actually went back into my phone long and took snap shots of phone calls that I made and received. I will use these calls as part of my court documents to support a law suite. That will make a year old case a lot stronger. As for text logs, I have gone back and found messages that I needed from weeks and months ago. Codes to alarms, phone numbers to repair people, etc. I also keep a lot of data in my day planner.

I'm sorry to say that my phone device is pretty organized where the rest of my organized life is a mess. I can find something in my phone 100 times faster than on my desk or in my office somewhere.
    Last edited by rspi; 01/27/2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: ADDITION
    Well it's time to replace my Palm 755p.

Now that graffiti is available to the Android OS, I am ready to make the move.

Now what phone can I sync to a Palm Desktop? As a mobile worker, I need a

handheld, plus my PC.

Thanks!

handheld, plus my PC.

Thanks!
    You are not going to find a Droid that will sync to your Palm Desktop software. What you will have to do is export your contacts and figure out how to import them to your new Droid.

handheld, plus my PC.

Thanks!
    Just checked in out of curiosity, and was surprised to find the lights still on!

I semi-bailed on my Treo in Nov.2010. I have a Dell Streak 5" Tablet phone rooted and using an incredible cooked ROM from DJ Steve. In Nov., I didn't know squat about Android!

My dental software on my pc will only sync with Palm. I have Pimlical on the pc (from the dev of DateBk6). I sync my palm calendar to the Treo, Then automatically export the data to Google calendar which exports it to my Streak. Process from Pimlical to Streak takes under a minute. Any changes on the streak are immediately changed on gcal. These are then changed when I sync my Treo next.

Sounds complicated but it isn't. I'm over 50 and I adapted. Y'all need to quit lolly-gagging here and move on to Android. With the right combination of free or cheap (under $5) apps, I have more than replaced the outstanding Palm apps I was so dependent on.

If you insist on hanging on to your Treos, I have 2 Alltel black ones for sale. 1 is still in the box and the other has 1 tiny scratch on the case by the antenna. Both screens are PERFECT!!! PM me if interested in them as parts phones.
  12.    #32  
    I had a chance to play with the new htc shift and the verizon droid pro this weekend. I think we are getting close to finding something comparable and the new android OS with all the free apps need is excellent.

I really like the keyboard on the front like the droid pro, black berry curve, blackberry pro versus the slide out keyboards. The HTC EVO shift is really nice wish the keyboard was on the front.

I will be making a move soon because I have not been able to sync outlook again with my treo.
    I'm still a firm believer in my Treo. I'd like to see a better browser - what are you browser lovers using? I'm not in love with whatever came with it, and had to ditch Opera because it caused resets every time I used it.

As for 'other' apps, I have my iPod Touch and my iPad, both with WiFi. Yep, I'm a mMac user, and one of the reasons I got the Treo in the first place - I didn't have to run Windoze on it. I just back it up to my desktop with the Palm software and all is right with the world.

Let's band together and tell HP what we want -
    HEY, HP - WHERE'S OUR NEW TREO????? PLEASE!?!?!
    I did it!! Dumped my EVO and beck to the Treo. Thank goodness I kept the 755p around. Sold my EVO to college student today..he may appreciate more than me.. Love my Treo and simple OS..
    I wound up with a Treo 755p when I decided I just couldn't handle carrying a Palm Zire and a cell phone. I looked at various smartphones, but I didn't like their organizers/todo lists.

I found a 755p as new old stock (unlocked) and set it up with Verizon.

Fun and games began. The installed email app didn't work, but VersaMail did after downloading it. Installing the new version of Palm Desktop didn't work over the old version (but completely cleaning the registry of Palm and US Robotics references fixed that.) Google Maps was in ROM, apparently, and didn't work. Again, there was a download to fix it.

I found a HP calculator emulation (Free42) and got that to work.

I got a chess program I was running on the Zire to transfer successfully.

I found a USB driver and got that to work, so there is now an alternative to HotSync for moving photos around, and an alternative to "syncing" with WMP for moving music to the player.

I ignore Documents to Go as too much trouble for the return.

I agree that it is at the end of its useful life. It's too bad Palm didn't keep the ease of use when it went to the newer models, or support PalmOS with an emulation or something. There are a lot of good PalmOS apps.

So, for now I am a happy Palm Desktop user, love the ease of use of the Treo 755p, and I am not looking forward at all to a Droid. Of course, I didn't like Windows 3.1, either.
    Just sold my EVO and re-activated my Treo 755P. Nothing better in terms of simplicty and function in my opinion...and$50.00 a month cheaper.
    I own and am learning and Android-based Dell Streak 5.

The screen is 5" and that is the big plus.

The Treo 755P and the Palm OS are superior in evry way.

I'll make it work....
    I own and am learning and Android-based Dell Streak 5.

The screen is 5" and that is the big plus.

The Treo 755P and the Palm OS are superior in evry way.

I'll make it work....
    I too own a Streak 5 and am loving it. I've been able to find apps that are duplicates of my favorite Palm apps, and the 5" screen is much easier to look at. While Android doesn't have the app integration ability of Palm OS, I have gotten quite used to it.

Check out these replacement apps for Palm OS apps:
    DateBk6.1==> iRT calendar Pro
    DateBk6.1==> ToDo Task Manager Pro
    DateBk6.1 (integration)==>Executive Assistant or Pure Calendar widget (both apps display tasks and agenda on same page)
    HandyShopper==> ToMarket (nearly an identical clone of HS)
    Memos==> Note Everything (like a cross of Memos and DayNotez)
    SnapperMail==> G mail and E Mail are both included on device.
    Phoon==> Moon 3D
    Blazer== NOTHING THANK G-D! Native browser is good. Dolphin HD is GREAT!!!

Those are just a few. Add to that the ability to use a custom ROM like DJ Steve's StreakDroid 1.9.0 and the Streak runs like lightning!

I do still use my 755p to sync my office dental program with Palm Desktop. I use Pimlical to sync the Palm calendar to Google calendar which downloads instantly to my Streak. Point is, I use them side by side and much prefer the Streak now that I know how to use it.

What are you waiting for???

The Dell Streak 5 - Size DOES Matter!
  19.    #39  
    The New Blackberry 9900/9930 announced this week may fit the bill. This new unit finally has a touch screen and a fixed keyboard!!! This might be the phone I have been looking for...
    Last edited by greatdeals; 05/03/2011 at 09:52 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12