Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I have a RIM (aka Blackberry), Kyocera 6035, and now a Treo 270 (yes, indeed, they are all active - I'm an email consultant and a geek - go figure!). I will say that I like the Treo the best at this point, but I've only had it about 3 weeks and so there are some things I'm "comparing" to the other devices and would like some advice on some settings functions. I figure I have nothing better to do while I wait to see if the wireless on my Treo will ever work again after the GPRS upgrade!!!!!

1. Like the RIM, the Treo has a "quickcorrect" feature that will let you type "didnt" and change to "didn't". Unlike the RIM, I can't find a place to add my own quickcorrect options. Am I just missing something fundamental here?

2. Although I Can create Shortcuts on the Treo, they are far from "shortcuts" in implementation. To have to press S, ..., down, down, down, Enter just to start a shortcut isn't a time savings for a lot of them <g>. In fact, on the RIM and the Kyocera I had a shortcut of "gg" for "<g>" - on the RIM that was just "gg space" to get the "<g>", on the Kyocera just :shortcut: gg, and on the Treo, "S, ..., down, down, down, Enter, gg" - you get the picture! Have I missed an easier method to get to the shortcut key??

3. I use MultiMail for email because I really need IMAP4 to synchronize my mailbox. I don't have time to delete messages from all of my wireless devices and my corporate email separately. It's the only product I've found so far that works well in this regard (suggestions welcome). Problem is, MultiMail "takes over" the device while it is running - you can't leave the MultiMail screen. So, I have no way of checking signal strength, length of call, etc. On the Kyocera, punching in the jog wheel puts that info at the top of the screen no matter where you are - is there a similar function for the Treo?

4. Is there any way to keep a data call from disconnecting when you close the Treo lid? I think once I get GPRS working <sigh> this will be okay, but I learned the hard way that closing the lid disconnects the call <g> - this is important, because I get hundreds of email messages a day (email consultant, remember!), and a download to Multimail might take 5 minutes. If I'm wandering around a client site, having the Treo tucked away in the Krussel case clipped to my waist is the best thing, but I have to keep the top open!

I know I had more questions, but right now this is all I can think of.

Thanks for any ideas/help/clarification I can get on these issues.

Danita
    1. Like the RIM, the Treo has a "quickcorrect" feature that will let you type "didnt" and change to "didn't". Unlike the RIM, I can't find a place to add my own quickcorrect options. Am I just missing something fundamental here?

This is not configurable unfortunately.

2. Although I Can create Shortcuts on the Treo, they are far from "shortcuts" in implementation. To have to press S, ..., down, down, down, Enter just to start a shortcut isn't a time savings for a lot of them <g>. In fact, on the RIM and the Kyocera I had a shortcut of "gg" for "<g>" - on the RIM that was just "gg space" to get the "<g>", on the Kyocera just gg, and on the Treo, "S, ..., down, down, down, Enter, gg" - you get the picture! Have I missed an easier method to get to the shortcut key??

Well the shortcut function is an integral part of the Palm OS. Except for the shortcut key under the "S" option list, there is not other way to enter shortcuts out of the box.

BUT with a free Graffiti Program called NEWPEN (search for it at PalmGear.com). You can write shortcuts directly on the screen (like you do with your Kyocera)..i have tested it..it works great

3. I use MultiMail for email because I really need IMAP4 to synchronize my mailbox. I don't have time to delete messages from all of my wireless devices and my corporate email separately. It's the only product I've found so far that works well in this regard (suggestions welcome). Problem is, MultiMail "takes over" the device while it is running - you can't leave the MultiMail screen. So, I have no way of checking signal strength, length of call, etc. On the Kyocera, punching in the jog wheel puts that info at the top of the screen no matter where you are - is there a similar function for the Treo?

I am dont think this feature is built into the Treo. As far as I know, there is nothing out there that would add this feature to the unit. Iambic Mail (www.iambic.com) which is still being developed (unlike Multimail Pro) also has support for IMAP4. I believe Basejet Mail (wwwbasejet.com) has this feature as yet.

4. Is there any way to keep a data call from disconnecting when you close the Treo lid? I think once I get GPRS working <sigh> this will be okay, but I learned the hard way that closing the lid disconnects the call <g> - this is important, because I get hundreds of email messages a day (email consultant, remember!), and a download to Multimail might take 5 minutes. If I'm wandering around a client site, having the Treo tucked away in the Krussel case clipped to my waist is the best thing, but I have to keep the top open!

[B]I believe StayOnlineHack (one word) will allow you to do this. Do a search for it at www.palmgear.com.I believe StayOnlineHack (one word) will allow you to do this. Do a search for it at www.palmgear.com.

My Question: What exactly does an email consultant do?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by yardie
    My Question: What exactly does an email consultant do?
    Thanks Yardie! Very helpful information. Not so happy about #1 though <pout>.

I install/configure/maintain large corporate email systems. And I make recommendations on wireless access, etc. I also have an anti-spam/anti-virus service for my customers.

Means I get a lot of new toys to play with <g> - sometimes I even give hand-me-downs to my husband. Thought he was going to have to give me back my Kyocera Smartphone when my Treo wireless died, but thanks to MNSTR I'm back in business (and so's the husband).

Danita
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    With regard to #1 you can try TextPlus at http://www.smartcell.com/id20.htm . This is a pretty handy program that that predicts the words you are trying to type and displays a list of option next to the cursor or the bottom of the screen. I have used it on the Treo and it is pretty easy to use with the keyboard - a real time-saver. The default dictionary is pretty big and can be customized. Hope this helps. It is shareware so you can try before you buy.

P.S.

read the documentation because you will have to enable a feature so that it works with all applications.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Now that I'm "out and about" with the Treo today I remembered one of my questions/observations. When I get an SMS message or Voicemail, the only notification is the message itself. Most "phones" use a little envelope to remind you that you have messages of one kind or another until you real them/listen to them. Don't seem to have the same functionality with the Treo. That is, I would find it very useful to have a visual reminder in the "phone" screens of the Treo that there are "unread" messages. I guess this isn't available?

Thanks

Danita
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    Now that I'm "out and about" with the Treo today I remembered one of my questions/observations. When I get an SMS message or Voicemail, the only notification is the message itself. Most "phones" use a little envelope to remind you that you have messages of one kind or another until you real them/listen to them. Don't seem to have the same functionality with the Treo. That is, I would find it very useful to have a visual reminder in the "phone" screens of the Treo that there are "unread" messages. I guess this isn't available?

Thanks

Danita
    Search about the topic on the boards. It's covered. Start here http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...voicemail+icon