1.    #1  
    I was wondering if any other 270 owners experience this....
    Every one in a while the radio completly turns off on my 270. I look down at the phone and there is no green blinking light. I open the lid and it says wireless mode is off, so I turn the radio back on and it searches the network normally and locks back on to Cingular. A few minutes later I'll look back at the phone and no blinking green light and than I have to turn it back on again.
    This hasn't happened often but if I were'nt in a habit of looking at the status light, the phone could ultimately be off hours before I would notice anything!
    I called support, of course they had no idea what I was talking about and as usual suggested I do a hard reset and see if that fixes it. They also told me that if the radio goes into a no service area for a certain period of time the radio will automatically turn off. I can't imagine that being true!

Anybody??
    I think searching for the network uses much more power than being connected to the network, so the phone quits searching after being disconnected for some period of time. I don't know how long -- more than five minutes, less than an hour, in my experience. So unless you want a dead Treo, it needs to quit looking.
    I have seen this behavior with my 180. It is NOT due to searching for the network for too long. The Treo might go into a low power mode in which it doesn't check as frequently, but it doesn't go to "wireless mode off" because it didn't find the network. It is a bug! I know that because I don't get a signal in my new place (lucky me!!). I have left the phone with wireless on many times overnight, and it doesn't switch wireless mode off.

The most specific examples I have of the spontaneous turning off bug is when I had to drive up and down the same road in New Hampshire twice in the same day a week ago. There was this one spot that EVERY TIME I went through it, I'd hear the wireless mode switching off. Amazed, I would then turn the phone back on. It kept doing this every time I passed through that area, coming or going... four times total.

So I would say that the Treo has a bug that, under certain signal conditions, it switches wireless mode off.
  4.    #4  
    I've noticed that it does seem to happen in the same places that I go to every so often. I actually here the descending tone that you get when you power off the radio!
    Well, looks like I spoke too soon. I had heard that searching for the network runs down the battery, and haven't experienced the turn-offs in town, only when on long drives away from service, so I assumed it was giving up.
    Originally posted by Preston
    Well, looks like I spoke too soon. I had heard that searching for the network runs down the battery, and haven't experienced the turn-offs in town, only when on long drives away from service, so I assumed it was giving up.
    Is it possible you were hitting the power button long enough to turn off the radio?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Is it possible you were hitting the power button long enough to turn off the radio?
    This happened to me (four times) while the Treo was sitting in the passenger seat next to me... and there was no one in the passenger seat
    Clean your SIM card, then try putting a small piece of paper underneath your sim card (i.e. between it and the door). It could very well be that your sim connection is bad.
    Originally posted by septimus
    Clean your SIM card, then try putting a small piece of paper underneath your sim card (i.e. between it and the door). It could very well be that your sim connection is bad.
    I doubt that it has something to do with the SIM card connection. Why would it reliably happen at a certain point on a highway? Unless there are strange things happening with gravity over there
    Originally posted by silverado

I doubt that it has something to do with the SIM card connection. Why would it reliably happen at a certain point on a highway? Unless there are strange things happening with gravity over there
    Ah, I had not read closely enough, or thought that maybe you were overestimating the possible coincidence Interesting....
    So I would say that the Treo has a bug that, under certain signal conditions, it switches wireless mode off.
    I'd say you're right. Maybe that explains my occasional shut down as well... I wonder what the network is saying to the treo to make it do that? odd...
  11.    #11  
    Handspring support told me today that this is a known issue that can be resolved by using the radioreset.prc patch. I'm waiting for them to email it to me. There system has been down for maintenance, so they say and patches get priority over escalations so I should be getting it soon I hope! I'll let you know if this works!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Please update us on this as I have experienced the same, seemingly random turn-offs. I never have liked being turned off and I like it even less on my Treo. If the radioreset file fixes the problem I will give it a shot. Now if I could just find my handsfree earpiece.
    --Denny
  13.    #13  
    Well the reset radio patch didn't do a thing. Actually talking to another CSR @ HS he said that this patch is for a different issue. He said that my Treo is faulty and they are gonna ship me a new one.
    I'm a little miffed that they are charging me $25 bucks for shipping and handling. I argued with him about it and he apologized and said that it was policy.... After reading several threads here about that charge being waived for others I figured I could also get it waived but know such luck. Didn't want to **** anybody off as they ARE sending me a new 270!