1.    #1  
    I have heard (maybe just a wishful rumor) that palm version 5 is around the corner and will support java. I wonder if the Treo will be upgradeable and if Palm will provide this for the mac. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
    Go get the MIDP for Palm OS from Sun. It is a free download. The sample applications for the MIDP include a wireless stock ticker application.

MIDP for Palm OS

"MIDP for Palm OS is a JavaTM runtime environment for Palm OS handhelds. It lets Palm OS users run the same Java technology-based applications ("Java applications") that are available for other MIDP-compliant devices, such as mobile phones and pagers. Because it follows Palm OS user-interface conventions, MIDP for Palm OS creates a user experience that minimizes training requirements. "
    Originally posted by kohodog
    I have heard (maybe just a wishful rumor) that palm version 5 is around the corner and will support java. I wonder if the Treo will be upgradeable and if Palm will provide this for the mac. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
    NO. OS 5 is for a different processor, and is there for incompatable with the current Treo line. Though judgeing by the problems with the GPRS patch I am very sure some moron will wipe his current Treo flash memory load up OS 5 and then howl like a banshee becasue his toy is broke.

Also, it has been mentioned in several threads that the Treo OS is 3.5.X and will not be upgradable to 4.0.

Gary
    So I cruised over to Sun's MIDP site, just to see what the deal is. I can't tell what MIDP would do for me, the average, non-programmer user. Can you clue me in? I'm curious....I can see it's a development language or something, but what will it get me? Should I care? I know all about J2ME and BREW and stuff, but...?