Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've owned 2 cellphones, one through ATT and the other through Voicestream.

But I've never had the kind of crappy reception that I get now with my treo and Voicestream GSM. I mean...its pretty bad. I've had two Treos and they have both had the same reception.

Does anyone else have the same issue. I'm in Denver...maybe its just this area. I wish I had had a choice in service. But Voicestream is the only GSM service here.

Too bad you HAVE to get GSM.

Why don't they make the Treo with the option of Dual Band. I don't really want to pay for slow wireless internet so I don't need GSM.
    because gsm is hands down better then tdma... once you go gsm you can never go back...

vs is great in some areas poor in others; just like any other wireless company
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    because gsm is hands down better then tdma... once you go gsm you can never go back...
    Why? I can't see any difference. Enlighten.
    My first treo 180 had terrible reception as well - in and out of service all the time. I blamed it on Voicestream, until I heard that a number of people had the same problem, it was the "radio" in the treo. Handspring sent me a new treo overnight, and this one has worked fine. I would suggest you try the reset radio patch that is out there (see different thread) or get them to replace your treo.
    Bob
    Bob
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Why? I can't see any difference. Enlighten.
    Well there are a ton of reasons, but off the top of my head gsm uses the sim card so not only can you pop it in and out of many different phones (like I do on a daily basis just to play with gadgets ) you can also store your contact information on the sim card so whenever you switch phones you'll have your contacts with you.

Also the voice quality on GSM is HANDS DOWN better then TDMA/CDMA

If you travel internationally, GSM is the ONLY answer to that... TDMA barely exists internationally (mostly canada), CDMA exists in some other countries such as canada and korea, and GSM is all over; especially europe and asia. I took my phone to the philippines , italy, france, spain, and the UK and had _NO PROBLEMS_ roaming; plus my friends were able to call me using my seattle number - while I was in those countries!

GSM has ONE phone number - as noted above, I can be in the middle of no where in some foreign land and still have reception (it's only the US where GSM has weak signals... just cuz it's new.) In the philippines, for example, we were in the middle of no where (literally!) NOTHING was in sight.. I looked at my phone and I had 4/4 bars!!! Crazy.

There are more, but this is just off the top of my head...
  6.    #6  
    I get the echo,
    I get really faded calls...
    I get in and out calls...

do I call voicestream, handspring...or just try this radio patch first.
    Originally posted by sketch

Why don't they make the Treo with the option of Dual Band. I don't really want to pay for slow wireless internet so I don't need GSM.
    As in a GAIT phone? I think that would add a lot to the cost. And probably the size. Plus only ATT has the supporting double network.
  8.    #8  
    ok

well that radio reset patch didn't work for me.

So, I'm getting my phone replaced....again.

Hopefully this one has a good radio in it.

Others get good reception...perhaps i should be so lucky!

I'm glad Handspring is pretty good about replacing units without a big hassle. Otherwise ! I'd be pissed in addition to annoyed.
  9.    #9  
    by the way...i wasn't asking for a dual band gsm.....

just plain old digital/analog dual band parts put into a pda. a simple reliable phone system time tested and approved.
    I wasn't talking about dual-band GSM either.
    GAIT is TDMA + GSM.

So you want analog + digital? Well, the problem is there's no network for it, except Cingular and Verizon. Plus, analog is dated (no high-speed data, etc.). Plus, it seems there's no market for such a device.
    Originally posted by sketch
    by the way...i wasn't asking for a dual band gsm.....

just plain old digital/analog dual band parts put into a pda. a simple reliable phone system time tested and approved.
    "digital analog"? Isn't that an Oxymoron? GSM will get better, seriously. It's only the USA that has a weak GSM footprint. When I was in the Philippines and all over Europe, there was no such thing as no service - even when we were driving in the middle of no where!
  12.    #12  
    there are millions of dual band capable phones out there.

the reason for dual band was that analog networks were more widespread than digital networks.

so when you reached the end of your digital range analog could take over.

analog was also better in quality in some cases.

now...i haven't been keeping up with all the network developments. so I don't know how things work right now. but that's how things used to be a few years ago.

anyways...having heard from people here....GSM seems to be fine. Its my crappy 180 radio that is messed up.

And to top that off...i can't seem to get FM or AM on my treo radio either! LOL...just kidding....but wouldn't that be sweet. Stuff a minidisk player in there too while you're at it!
  13.    #13  
    Basically i just want a phone that my friends don't hate calling because the reception is sooooo bad.

I can't fault handspring for being forward thinking with GSM
    ...but I just want a GOOD phone and a pda.

I spend 8 hours in front of a computer with DSL ....i don't need to surf the web while i'm driving home.

but ...i guess that's just me.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I'm in Denver too, and I only have one gripe with the service here - if I hit a "really" bad spot (I know where they are - out on Broncos Parkway near Centennial Airport and on University between Belleview and Orchard <g>) sometimes the Treo will just turn off the radio and I don't notice <pout>. If it would just go to "no service" and they try back I'd be happier - but I use the phone so much to check mail, chat and such, that I usually notice fairly quickly when I've gone into lala land.

Danita
    Sketch - please keep me posted as to whether your replacement unit works better or not.

THanks,
    Glen
    (gkaatz@nyiso.com)
  16.    #16  
    will do

i haven't gotten it yet...there's been a delay in getting 180's out this week.

aka the price is now 99.00 so they're shipping the available 180s to new owners first. (or that would be my guess).
    ...i'm near kansas city, and rarely have "bad" reception. i drive 35 mi. to work every day, and i think i've lost 1 call in the last 2 months. i plan to come out that way to visit family and friends, and am anxious to see how it performs out there.

best of luck w/ your new set.

expo
  18.    #18  
    sometimes i still get some interference....and my brother said the echo was there yesterday....

crossing my fingers that this one is at least a little better.
  19.    #19  
    Ok,

Well, my new 180 gets better reception. But its still second rate to any phone I've owned.

Hopefully GSM coverage will improve as time goes on.

I would like a comparison of Sprint service to my T-mobile service.

Any Denver sprint Treo 300 users our there? I'll be making the decision about whether to switch in about 6 months.

Thanks!
  20.    #20  
    To the guy who doubted my tri mode logic .

Samsung now makes a V205 with a camera, color screen and TRI - MODE GSM capable.

This is what the Treo should be because CDMA is much more popular than GSM in the US.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast