1.    #1  
    Wife gave me Treo 300 as gift last weekend. I want to quickly investigate before 30 day return period is up to make sure it's what I want. I currently use Palm Vx extensively. Syncs perfectly to work and home, for calender, contacts, memos. And I'm now convinced Treo 300 would do same. Reading these reviews I'm also confident phone function will be fine. Some of your reviews have me a bit concerned about Web and E-Mail.

But some of the guys at work are going to Pocket PC since they can readily use Excel and Word documents, which I can't do in Palm OS. So my question:

Does anyone have any experience with the new HP built T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition? And how would it compare to the 300? Should I trade the 300 for one of those?

The T-Mobile website fails miserably to provide any sort of info, as I can't even get into the site.

Sam
    Originally posted by samsap4

But some of the guys at work are going to Pocket PC since they can readily use Excel and Word documents, which I can't do in Palm OS. So my question:

Sam
    If you get Documents To Go you can also access, hotsync, use, and work on your Excel and Word documents. In my experience, however, Excel files are completely useless in any PDA because you can only view 3 - 4 columns and therefore you are continuously scrolling sideways.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    The thumboard on the Treo 300 is a big advantage, in my opinion, especially if you plan to use the device for much e-mail or other text entry.
    As a sidenote, I own the T300 but also a Sony Clie NR-70V. I use QuickOffice Suite with the Sony and can look at spreadsheet files that are about 5-6 columns wide and over 20 rows deep. The hi-rez on the Sony (and the useable virtual graffiti area) allow almost twice the screen real estate as any other Palm. It's very useful in this device.
    Docs to Go is a very useful application with the Treo especially. I do PRPRPR $and$ $I$ $work$ $on$ $press$ $releases$ $constantly$ $between$ $my$ $Treo$ $and$ $Mac$ $flawlessly$. $As$ $for$ $Excel$, $it$'$s$ $not$ $the$ $greatest$ $on$ $a$ $PDA$. $Nevertheless$, $the$ $Treo$ $as$ $a$ $PDA$ $is$ $phenomenal$ $but$ $I$'$m$ $still$ $webless$...$7$ $days$!!!!!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I have used both and I can state the following:

1.- Both phones work very good as PDA based devices.All Inetrafec well in MS enviroment.

2.- All MS applications exist in the Palm OS based devices , so don't worry. Previous posting is correct there is nothing like looking at a spreadsheet on a HI RES device like the Sony and use the zoom preferences. Great achievement.

3.- The pocket pc device does not have a cover lid and that for me is a plus.

4.- The Sprint system I believe is faster for "mobile" sites and e-mail connectivity, but both units are slow with full blown HTML pages.

5.- Coverage is close to the same

6.- I would as a recommendation check also: Pocket PC by Sprint ( a bit pricier ) and or do a search for the Danger Hip Top, to be sold by T MObile as Sidekick ( Cheap and Awesome )
    I've used Palm devices for about 6 yrs now - never tried the Pocket PC world very seriously, other than checking them out at the local stores. Based on your past experience with the Palm OS, I'd have to suggest you go the Treo route (altho I'm sure the PPC thing would also end up being fine, more or less).

I use a wireless mail program to retrieve, edit, save and sync with the PC all MS file types - Word, Excel, PPT, as well as PDFs. It's been talked about on these boards - Inbox ToGo from Dataviz, makers of Documents To Go. What's interesting is that I've heard (altho not experienced personally) stories of users on PPC devices having sync issues with MS files - where a file gets sent over to the handheld, perhaps edited there, and then when the edited file gets sent back over to the PC, a new file is created, rather than writing over the original, as is the case with Docs ToGo and the Palm. So - maybe some others here know more on this than I.

And I've had my Treo for a week now and really love it. I had a 6035 before that, and then a Palm Vx and Omnisky wireless modem before that, so my wireless Palm history goes back about 3 years. I think the Treo is great, and since you're coming from a Palm background, it might be the best solution.
    No experience with either the Treo or PPC phones here, but I did move out of my Palm Vx into an IPAQ.

The romance lasted about 2 weeks. Then I moved back to the Palm. Pity, because the IPAQ sure was pretty.

If you want to carry around a general purpose PC with 'neutered' applications and an inadequate screen, go PPC. But if you want a world-class PIM, Palm's where it's at, IMHO.

Just my $0.02; don't want to start a religious war here.

-l
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    a good friend of mine has the T-mobile..... the screen is amazing.... hi-res, and you can see it fine in direct sunlight....

the T-mobile is much heavier than the Treo.....

the browser, some kind of scaled down internet exploder, is leagues ahead of anything available on the palm.... and the internet connection was actually pretty quick.... what speed is it anyway?

the only thing the treo has over the T-mobile is 3G and the thumboard....
    I have been debating switching over to PPC because I think that the main reason that some of us perceive the treo has having a slow internet connection is that the wimpy processor inside the Treo is not enough to handle the task of browsing the web in full color using the currently available software.

I have been wondering if apparent internet browsing speed woud increase with a faster processor or different OS. One way to easily test this is to overclock the treo and see if the internet experience seems to get any better. I will do this later today and post back here on the forums

I'm going to try to go and visit somewhere that has this Tmobile phone to check it out. My buddy had the Voice Stream Audiovox Thera. It seemed fairly nice but the only problem was when he went to demo it there was no service in my area -- not even the old analog 2g data service -- LOL! I guess that is one good reason for sticking with Sprint. So far I've been able to access the net literally ANYWHERE and I've been a lot of places in the last month with this thing.

Also, I would terribly miss the thumboard....

Originally posted by Fikse
    a good friend of mine has the T-mobile..... the screen is amazing.... hi-res, and you can see it fine in direct sunlight....

the T-mobile is much heavier than the Treo.....

the browser, some kind of scaled down internet exploder, is leagues ahead of anything available on the palm.... and the internet connection was actually pretty quick.... what speed is it anyway?

the only thing the treo has over the T-mobile is 3G and the thumboard....
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    1.- In regards to the processor speed, I can tell you that I have a Sony NR70V at a chipset speed of 66Mhz and I used this for multimedia reasons, now when I have to use the apps in the TREO the "slow" chipsets is really noticeable.

2.- The screen of the pocket pc's will always beat Handspring , I do not WHY? they keep sticking to their type, in particular with a "cell phone " type device, that will be used a lot in the outdoors.

3.- I have seen a lot of people using the T Mobile Pocket PC, maybe because the call and data plans are cheaper than Sprint and Verizon, the same thing I can say about web based forums. I am still looking for forums that deal with the Verizon THERA and Spring PS2032 unit.

Who knows maybe the upcoming Samsung units might help the Palm OS camp.
    As you all know I'm a happy Treo 300 owner, but Amazon is selling that T-Mobile phone for $300 after rebates.

Of course Sprint is now offering $100 off service plus 3 months free web service. So I guess in a way both providers offer a similar benefit in terms of costs.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    The rates are really different from T Mobile and Sprint, at the present time I think T Mobile pricing follows the agressive european model than the "US spoil brat way". Hopefully all US carriers CDMA and GSM adopt a more " consumer oriented" pricing structure that will allow the 3G services to Take OFF. Let me give you example:
    The pocket pc devices by GSM carriers are been pushed via agressive pricing rebates and offers in the US, in Europe one of the atractive things is the expensive phones are not payed upfront/one charge but the CUSTOMER has the option to pay this by parts in their monthly bill. Just imagine what would this "sell approach" would do for units like VERIZON's THERA and SPRINT PS 2032.

Also please post of any forums or websites that give detail reviews of the THERA or SPRINT PS 2032, usually sites as CNET give the "over the top" reviews.