Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this in the Sept. 2002 edition of Palm Power, in a nice review of the Treo 90:

"Unfortunately, the Treo 90 SD/MMC slot doesn't have SDIO (Secure Digital Input/Output) characteristics, meaning that accessories like a Bluetooth card will not work. The slot is only capable of writing and reading SD/MMC memory cards. I contacted Handspring about this, and they told me they will be releasing software to turn the slot into an SDIO slot."

It's just above the Details paragraph

http://www.palmpower.com/avantgo/articles/treo90.html
    the million dollar question is....WHEN will this patch come out?
    That one's thought provoking..... I myself lost interest in Sony products for that very reason. For the longest time I thought CF was gonna be the standard and that SD/MMC was a little too expensive with not enough applications. Little did I know, more research would have made me spend the extra $10 for SD vice CF. Now for a question. I'm in the process of going wireless in my house and I'm wondering about 802.11b SD cards. I don't really want to spring for Blue Tooth, although I may regret that too. I don't believe I've seen any 802.11b LAN in the SD flavor. Do they exsist???
    Jack of many trades, Master of all...
    From the news at planet-isp.com"

"The New Shape of WLAN
    Cards
    Fabless semiconductor manufacturer SyChip,
    of Plano, TX, announced that they're getting into the 802.11b chip set space
    with a reference design for a secure digital
    (SD) input/output WLAN card.
    An SD card, usually used as a memory storage card, is about the size of a postage
    stampó32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm. SD slots are generally found in personal digital
    assistants (PDAs) such as the Palm m500.
    SyChip's modules will support Windows 2000/XP/CE (2.11 or greater), and the
    Palm OS 4 and higher.
    SyChip expects an evaluation card for the embedded module, and the support
    material for the reference design to be ready by the third quarter, with the
    samples of the full SD NIC card by the end of the year."
    I have heard rumors myself and hopefully it will be out in the next month or two - in time for holidy shopping!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    In an effort to nudge Handspring to relase a SDIO patch as soon as possible, does anyone know the most effective way to communicate a comment or suggestion to Handspring (a particular email address, or specific section on the Hadnspring site)?

I know there are places on the Handspring site to "Contact Us", but I was wondering if someone knew a more effective method, or if that was the best way.

I've had my 802.11b network at home for almost a year, and if SDIO is made available, I'll be first in line for an SD Wi-Fi card.

Thanks.
    I think the SDIO patch is completely an economics thing. Handspring didn't want to make it if the Treo90 wasn't selling well. After all, most users who really needed advanced communication abilities would have probably bought a communicator, since the 90 fits more in the entry level category. And most entry level users don't even add apps, much less shell out bucks for a bluetooth or wifi card.

What's happened is the the Treo 90 IS successful. The keyboard is a strong selling point for entry level users that can't be bothered with Graffiti. So now that they've got a growing user base, producing a patch becomes a worthwhile project to attracting even more users.

What's going to get the patch into our 90s the quickest is sending email to Handspring (which they answer personally) and tell how useful you'd find SDIO. That and hoping Christmas sales of the 90 boom. This will be the Christams of the PDA, since prices on pre OS5 will drop even further when OS5 is on machines in time for Christmas.
    But for many users (including myself), a Treo 90 along with a bluetooth card and a bluetooth cellphone is the ultimate answer. That means that I can carry them separately if I want it, but I can use them like I only carried one (i love bluetooth). It also enables me to use such things as 802.11b soon, which lets me be on my local network to sync, or again sync with bluetooth. Other accessories for SD are the presenter-to-go SD card, along with a digital camera coming soon.

I think the biggest thing with the Treo 90 is that it is one of the smallest PDAs out there, it looks great and works. It's truly functional - but it IS made to be a communicator, and so by being able to add communicator features wirelessly it fulfills everything.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I agree with all you say. The communications software package included is very powerful. The 90 should have been SDIO ready when it was released. I'm sure that Handspring has found that hardcore users like the 90 just as much as those looking for a starter PDA.
    Originally posted by sroberts
    In an effort to nudge Handspring to relase a SDIO patch as soon as possible, does anyone know the most effective way to communicate a comment or suggestion to Handspring (a particular email address, or specific section on the Hadnspring site)?

I know there are places on the Handspring site to "Contact Us", but I was wondering if someone knew a more effective method, or if that was the best way.

I've had my 802.11b network at home for almost a year, and if SDIO is made available, I'll be first in line for an SD Wi-Fi card.

Thanks.
    You could always email Donna herself....there was a post on this awhile back but basically all you have to do is surf around handspring's site and look at people's email addresses, find the pattern and fit it to Donna (for those unaware, she is Handspring's current CEO)
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    i contacted handspring asking for ISDO support several weeks ago. i did so through their feedfack form on their website.

i doubt that ISDO support will become a reality without our asking for it.

Handspring Feedback

hint hint!!!

(remember the small expantion modules for the edge that never came out, but were promised)
    I love my Treo 90.
    Well the reason the Edge expansion models never really took off was because the Edge itself never caught on. The Treo 90 on the other hand has caught on beautifully...last time I checked I believe Cnet had it rated as the number 7 top selling PDA.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    All good posts. I honestly believe there would be even more Treo 90 users if it had launched with SD/IO support. I will take the advice of the previous poster and contact Handspring. It's really easy to "sit on the fence" and wish, but I'm definitely gonna contact Handspring and express MY interest of seeing SD/IO integration.
    Come on you Treo 90 guys that want (NEED) Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth, or whatever SD/IO application you desire...... Flood Handspring with request emails!!!
    Thanks, I put in my two cents, and I have told any of my friends who will listen to do the same.
    Not that I'm the person, but has anyone tried to maybe develope their own drivers for SD/IO cards. The Corps pays me to make sure planes get shot down, not to develope Palm software. I'm not that smart, but I know developers are out there watching us. C' mon... My neighbor was one employed by Motorola and did developing for the Palm OS. I've been attempted to ask him, but I don't want to sound like the Homer Simpson-to-Ned Flanders neighbor!
    Would something like this even be possible, or does Palm limit open-source development to games and apps??
    While I'm not 100% sure and would definitly not be the guy to do it, I would believe it could be done, seeing as you can download programs for your Palm that allow the little speaker to play .wav and .mp3 files, something the original Palm OS was incapable of. Hacks are also fundamental changes to the OS, so yes I do believe it is possible...any takers?
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    This post has really evolved over the passed two days. This is a good discussion though. Maybe we should start a new post with the suggestion of someone to make the drivers. I don't think I'd want to be the one to test it and figure out it doesn't work. (crackle, pop....) Anyway, I appreciate the reply even though I didn't start the post.
    I received the following reply after using Handspring Feedback to inquire as to SDIO:

Thank you for contacting Handspring.

The feature you inquired about is currently not part of our product. We are continuously working to improve our products and service so please check back frequently to see if we've implemented your request. We thank you for sending your comments and suggestions to Handspring. We take customer
    concerns seriously and appreciate the time you have spent sending us your email.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email or call
    1-888-565-9393.

Regards,
    Jennifer
    Handspring Customer Care

I now feel much better informed.
    my reply from handspring about a month ago....
    Dear Alex ******,

Thank you for sending your suggestions to Handspring. We take customer
    concerns seriously and appreciate the time you have spent sending us your
    email.

For further assistance please call the Customer Care team at 1-888-565-9393
    during the hours of 6am to 6pm PST Monday through Friday, and 9am to 1pm
    Saturday.

Regards,
    Katie
    Handspring Sales

> To: feedback@support.handspring.com
    > From: ********@hotmail.com
    > Date: 8/15/02 19:42:33
    > Subject: Product Feedback
    > FROM: Alex ********
    > COMPANY:
    > EMAIL: *********@hotmail.com
    > BROWSER TYPE: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    >
    > COMMENTS: Please make the Treo 90 SD I/O compatible. This may require additional development on Handsprings part, but I feel that I speak for the majority of Treo 90 users.
    > I would greatly like to buy SD I/O devices that would fit my Treo 90, such as Bluetooth or Ethernet connectivity.
    > This lack of connectivity is the great flaw to the Treo 90. I realize that Handspring would like to see its customers who are interested in connectivity buy out of the Treo 180/270 line, but something such as Bluetooth could be to the advantage of the entire Treo line.
    > Handspring is a great company, however, if its products continue to be half-supported by industry standards, customers such as my self that show brand loyalty will eventually turn to your competitors. I am generally satisfied by your products and services however.
    >
    > Other then this, I am very happy with my Treo 90.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you for your time, and thank you for a quality product. I look forward to Handspring products in the future.
    >
    > -Alex
    >
    I love my Treo 90.
    Originally posted by adrian76
    It's really easy to "sit on the fence" and wish, but I'm definitely gonna contact Handspring and express MY interest of seeing SD/IO integration.
    Come on you Treo 90 guys that want (NEED) Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth, or whatever SD/IO application you desire...... Flood Handspring with request emails!!!
    i think he's mocking me.....

(see my turtle)....

(in a hypnotic tone)
    CONTACT HANDSPRING.....
    YOU WILL.....
    CONTACT......
    (by the way, i dont belive in hypnotism, so just do it)
    I love my Treo 90.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast