1.    #1  
    not happy with xino blazer or eudora web. any other options? thanks
  2.    #2  
    as a followup to my question i wanted to mention that I have also used the avantgo browser and actually prefer it in terms of speed and performance but it seems to have problems with certain websites (i can't check my yahoo page. I get some sort of error when logging in). also it does not seem to support bookmarks in the traditional sense. if there was a browser out there with the speed of avantgo and the usability og blazer that would be great. I would almost switch to pocketpc just to have pocket IE but would miss this awesome keyboard too much. I can only hope there are better browsers out there or in development. I used to really like xiino but don't anymore because it screws up a lot of images in its attempt to emulate the true look of a web site. it also does really annoying things to text formatting. what xiino has in speed for network throughput it loses in latency and general application performance. the only benefit of xiino and the only reason its still installed is the ability to support scripts but even so it does not do java... which leads me to another question - does pocket IE support java? dang I would hate to switch to a ppc device - expensive, poor battery life, bulky, no keypad - but the web experience on the treo is fairly frustrating at times
    Originally posted by doctorc
    does pocket IE support java?
    Come on, with all the legal battles MS has faced with Sun, I don't think Bill would allow Java on the PocketPC platform unless Sun made it's own plugin. And I don't think Sun has made one for the PocketPC platform. So I would say no.

We need the fine folks over at Mozilla to make us a browser . That might move sun to make a JRE to use with the browser.

Does Sun have a JRE for the PalmOS?
  4.    #4  
    hehe. seriously though... what other browser options for the palm os are out there besides xiino, blazer, eudora, and avanto go. is that really it?
    hehe. seriously though... what other browser options for the palm os are out there besides xiino, blazer, eudora, and avanto go. is that really it?
    I don't know, but I do know that if Sun has not made a JRE for the PalmOS no browser will be able to run Java.
    There are a couple others:

PocketLink and !Spider are two that coems to mind. Do a search for "web browsers" (without quotes) at www.palmgeat.com. Dont expect to get an ie/netscaoe experience on a Palm OS device just yet.

7.    #7  
    thank you for the info. i will give those a try
    I've now tried Blazer, Eudora, AvantGo, and Xiino, and I'm extremely frustrated. Each works terrifically for SOME sites, and either screws up or is very slow on others. And each has some terrific features, but lacks other necessary features.

As one of the other poster noted, I'm tempted to keep a few browsers around for use on different sites. But this is CRAZY in the long term, of course.

ARGH!

-m
    have you tried vagabond browser ?
  10.    #10  
    where can we find vagabnd. I agree with the other poster above. sucks to have to use 3 different browsrs all the time. so far I have to say eudora web is proving my favorite due to sheer speed. just wish it would let me get into my yahoo page
    If you all stick to sites designed for PDAs you will eb fine. The browsers will gert better next year when they have more powerful processors to work with. Just be happy that yo are getting browsers that show images etc. Just three years or so ago it was all text for Palm devices.
    vagabond can be found @ http://linuxlabs.com/
    and it does require web clippings from palm
    Where do you find the (a) web clippings app to go along with Vagabond?
    theres a link to it with the download read the read me
    Can't get Vagabond running. It just hands on Connecting...
    Originally posted by yardie
    If you all stick to sites designed for PDAs you will eb fine. The browsers will gert better next year when they have more powerful processors to work with. Just be happy that yo are getting browsers that show images etc. Just three years or so ago it was all text for Palm devices.
    I agree with you yardie.

Great progress has been made and in time even more will be made.

A handheld PDA is not a laptop yet .