1.    #1  
    Just read about this new plan here:

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-956775.html?tag=fd_top

Total flat rate domestic calls, no long-distance or roaming, for $99/mo. I'm all over this, and I'm quite sure T-Mobile doesn't offer a comparable plan.

Is there any reason why we couldn't just join this AT&T plan and put the SIM in our Treo's? Just checking the collective knowledge out there...
    I don't know. In the article:

" To get the service, customers must sign a one- or two-year contract and buy a new phone that uses the cell phone standard known as GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications). The GSM phones range from $150 to $200."

So it seems like you'd need to at least buy another phone and then put the SIM card into your Treo. Seems silly to me and subject to change if you talk to the right people. :-)
    There should be absolutely no reason not to be able to sign up and put the card in you Treo. You can get one of their phones for under $100 as a worst case.
    Just be careful if you travel around the country. Right now AT&T has a very sketchy coverage map for GSM, and you are very likely to find yourself without service if you travel. One compromise is the combined GSM/TDMA service they have with their Siemens phone which automatically searches for a TDMA signal if a GSM is not avaialable. The worst coverage for AT&T right now is the northeastern US.
  5.    #5  
    So AT&T doesn't have any cross agreement with other carriers like Cingular or T-Mobile? They only allow use on their own network?
    Yup
    Originally posted by mervynle
    There should be absolutely no reason not to be able to sign up and put the card in you Treo. You can get one of their phones for under $100 as a worst case.
    I bought the cheapest AT&T phone for $60 (Motorola Timeport) and put the sim into my Treo.

It's been working like a charm since I got it. (Even with GPRS)
    Last edited by aschobel; 09/08/2002 at 06:25 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Ah thanks, that's the kind of confirmation with personal experience I was looking for. I'm gonna try signing up for that new unlimited plan with AT&T as soon as I can. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Ok I admit now you've got me thinking about the switch over to AT&T. When I first got VoiceStream this was originally the plan but now I am happy with VS and have NEVER exceed (not within 75%) or exceeding my 3000 minutes. However, the addition of GPRS and LD for $100 is attractive assuming their network is decent. I am still happy with dialup for the amount of time I actually use it and would have to see GPRS to really appreciate it.

Also, based on the following plan description at AT&T (http://www.attws.com/mobileinternet/..._charter.jhtml) it looks like GPRS is not included and you have to purchase a by-the-drink plan for data called mMode. Of course 2MB is only $12.99 (more expensive per MB than VS or should I say T-Mobile) but we all know that will run out quickly. Does anyone know what the deal is with mMode?

--Denny