Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just received and finished installing a beta version of software that enhances the SMS app on the Treo 300 to send and receive shortmail (Sprint SMS). PDA Apps (www.pdaapps.com) is the author of this software.

So far this looks awesome, and I just successfully exchanged SMS with a co-worker who has AT&T TDMA service. I will post a detailed review later.

Spiderman
    GREAT! I can't wait for your review. I looked on PDAapps and did not see it. Is there somewhere that we can download it from.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Great news (still can't believe they shipped with one way SMS)... are they making it for Sprint/Handspring or is it a third-party app? I assumed that to get MO-SMS Sprint would have to be involved.
    YES! Please let us know where to download it, I would love to try!
    Dear PDAapps,

PLEASE MAKE THIS PRODUCT!!!

-Darkelf
    I came from the 6035 and Verizon, where I had full 2-way SMS, and I used it all the time. I know that Sprint is planning to bring out MO-SMS, but I can't wait! Tell us tell us where the app is (I too couldn't find it at the PDAApps site - I'm sure it's hidden). Post the .exe or something!
    Hold up. What is short mail anyway? Is that the web-based "click this URL" stuff or is it traditional SMS?

-Darkelf

ps PDAapps: toss us a link!
  8.    #8  
    Here is my review:

The product is rock-solid. If you want to get an idea of how it looks like, just look at the SMS app. on the Treo 180 or 270.

1) You can compose and send an SMS by just using the SMS app. (which appears magically enhanced when you enable Treo300-2WaySMS). You can send to any 10 digit US/Canadian phone number. International SMS does not work (but that is I believe a restriction of Sprint short mail). My understanding is that sending an SMS uses the 3G data connection of your phone to transmit the SMS to Sprint's Short Mail system. You do need to enter your Sprint PCS phone number and web site password in the app. when configuring it. You can also send SMSes to email addresses (like on the Treo 270 and 180) which is not allowed in short mail (from Sprint's Web site).

2) When you receive a page/text message (##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com or from messaging.sprintpcs.com), it comes straight to your phone (just like without this app.) except if the page/text message contains a callback number, you can now reply to it!

3) When you receive a shortmail, instead of getting a page with a bogus URL that Blazer cannot load, you now get a beep and a small message saying something like "Initiating Retreival of Short Mail", and then about 10 seconds or so later, the actual message containing the shortmail which shows up in the same popup as any page/text message. At this point you cannot distinguish between a page and a shortmail.

Overall, very cool!

MY phone is complete!

Spiderman
    What was Sprint thinking when they failed to impliment these obvious but very useful features? Thank you, PDAapps. Boo, Sprint!

-Darkelf
    Thanks for that great review. I can't wait...
    Originally posted by darkelf
    What was Sprint thinking when they failed to impliment these obvious but very useful features? Thank you, PDAapps. Boo, Sprint!

-Darkelf
    Great to hear a new app is available to send SMS messages. But the issue is not with Sprint. Sprint did not make the device. Handspring did. So the question is why didn't Handspring include software that can do what this new software can do? I say who cares. It's a PalmOS based device, so it's features are not limited. We can always add new and better applications. We were just given a base to start with and a fine base from my POV.
    OK, now I'm REALLY antsy...where do I get this great app? What's the specific url or file location???
    YES please give us a link to get it! No doubt we would all love to try it.

I did write to the pdaapps people last night but never got any response.

Is there a way we can try the beta?
    I was told:

1) They don't need any more beta-testers
    2) Pricing hasn't been decided, and
    3) They were finalizing the software

They mentioned "a few days" for the release. Hope that helps.
    ... so does anyone know what the deal is with this app or any other SMS applications? Thanks.
    No, but while I was complaining about my recently defunct SPCS email account I told the support tech I was disappointed in that big step backwards to receive-only. He said he would forward the complaint - and it wasn't the first time he had heard it!
    Originally posted by darnell

Great to hear a new app is available to send SMS messages. But the issue is not with Sprint. Sprint did not make the device. Handspring did.
    The issue is totally with Sprint! The 300 does not have SMS because of Sprint's kluggy SMS gateway system, not because Handspring left it out! Handspring is rumored to be developing a souped-up IM/SMS experience for the 300, but they can't pull it off until Sprint updates the SMS handling in their network later this year. Until then, all of these workarounds we are trying (including this upcoming app, which sounds like the most graceful to date) will be victims of Sprint's cruddy gateway.
    I'e been using hte beta for hte last day. It's still buggy, but once I finalyl got it workign sending is instant and easy to do. However, shortmail for me is FP! which means unless you SMS email me (number@messaging.sprintpcs.com), I can't get a message.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Fyr654321

The issue is totally with Sprint! The 300 does not have SMS because of Sprint's kluggy SMS gateway system, not because Handspring left it out! Handspring is rumored to be developing a souped-up IM/SMS experience for the 300, but they can't pull it off until Sprint updates the SMS handling in their network later this year. Until then, all of these workarounds we are trying (including this upcoming app, which sounds like the most graceful to date) will be victims of Sprint's cruddy gateway.
    You got any documents from credible sources to back that up? Not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to have proof that you are right .
    Sprint has the ability to do garden variety MO_SMS with their network. Virgin Mobile (which uses Sprint's network) has it so it is certainly not a network issue. It probably just means that Sprint right now wants people to use the time consuming/data kb using Web based shortmail for now. There is no a priori reason that Sprint could not set up MO-SMS like Verizon has. They just don't feel like it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast