Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got the Treo yesterday, so far its been good. I'm looking for the ideal email client. I had been using Eudora on my Kyocera and was pretty happy with it. Always been a bit annoyed by the lack of scroll wheel support though.

Been playing with Treo Mail a bit and its got some great interface improvements, I love that you can check email with one button press without even opening the phone. Seems really flawed though, there is no support for multiple accounts, and I can't find a way to force it to do a true POP3 connection. The Treo server seems to check every 15 or 20 minutes. I have no interest in push email, if someone needs to get me instantly they can call. But when I do choose to check my mail, I want to get all of it, including things sent in the past half hour. I'd also rather that my mail was not stored on an extra server the way all these fake push clients do.

In short I'm looking for Eudora with the treo mail interface functionality.

In detail I'd like a client that:
    1- Supports multiple accounts
    2- Connects directly from the Treo to my POP accounts without running an extra server inbetween
    3- Supports the thumbwheel
    4- Can be checked without opening the flip

Anyone know of anything?
    Corsoft's Aileron can do two of the four. It doesn't yet support the jogdial, and you can't check without opening the lid. But, it can pull multiple accounts, as often as you want, and you can even get attachments. See www.corsoft.net.
    I've been searching for the perfect mail app too. I've been through a dozen, at the moment I'm playing with Iambic mail (www.iambic.com ). So far I'm pleased, I have it successfully logging into 3 of my POP3 accounts, including the Sprint PCS account. It won't get your mail without opening the flip though - but I see that as a good thing... I keep my Treo in my pocket, so I don't want anything connecting if a button accidently gets pressed!

Dunc
    sbcrair - Questions about Aileron...

1) Does the timed pull work with the lid shut?

2) Does Aileron send an alert when mail is received? It would seem not to...

Many thanks - I'm having trouble figuring this thing out...

- Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 09/04/2002 at 01:35 AM.
    sbcrair - Hmm. Aileron is checking/pulling messages when the lid is closed (although I didn't think it worked based on your message), and alerts when new mail is found. Is that your experience?
  6. tbd
    I would like to amend that list:

5) HTML-Mail
    Aileron does work with the lid closed, but does not send an SMS when email is received (although it does give a little "beep" when one is received...I find that most of the time I miss that). It does not handle HTML.
    Originally posted by sbcrair
    Aileron does work with the lid closed, but does not send an SMS when email is received (although it does give a little "beep" when one is received...I find that most of the time I miss that). It does not handle HTML.

use Treo Alert Manager for that
    You might want to take a look at the latest Mark/Space Mail beta <http://www.markspace.com/>.

It does:

1) Periodic checking
    2) Checking with lid closed (assign one of the hard buttons to the app)
    3) Multiple accounts
    4) True POP3 (no server in between)
    5) Supports thumbwheel for scrolling (I just checked)

Works well for me. (I'm biased because I wrote it; however, download the demo and try it for yourself.)
    Sprint PCS Business Connection Enterprise or Personal Edition does all the things oyu want.
    OK,

Where do I find the beta Mark/Space Mail software? I could not find it anywhere on the markspace.com site.

EDIT: Never mind. For the rest of you, I found it here: http://www.markspace.com/testing/

Originally posted by sgruby
    You might want to take a look at the latest Mark/Space Mail beta <http://www.markspace.com/>.

It does:

1) Periodic checking
    2) Checking with lid closed (assign one of the hard buttons to the app)
    3) Multiple accounts
    4) True POP3 (no server in between)
    5) Supports thumbwheel for scrolling (I just checked)

Works well for me. (I'm biased because I wrote it; however, download the demo and try it for yourself.)
    Hey, I just tried the Mark/Space mail demo. So far it looks much better than Eudora. (even though it's not free... guess you get what you pay for, eh)?

Comments?
    Mail/Space is the best of seen yet for us non-pushers. Some more fine tuning would make it eben better. Specifically:

- can't send mail immediately -- msgs are sent to outbox first

- filters don't prevent unwanted mail from dowloading -- just sends them to another folder

- needs quick way to select & manage multiple messages (like in Eudora), instead of menu commands

- an alert function (when using the timed mail check feature) is needed

Thanks for the post & link, sgruby !!
    Have experienced several instances recently where Mark/Space is creating a constant "green arrow" condition after sending/checking mail. The Treo actually begins to heat-up noticeably -- not good.

Selecting the option to "Disconnect after send/receive" fixes this, but kind of defeats the purpose of having the benefit of an "always on" connection.
  15.    #15  
    Thank's for the link Mark/Space mail, its definitely the best client yet, real well done.

Wondering a few things though:

1 - How do you check email without opening the flip? I have it mapped to button which opens the app. So far so good. But I can't see a way to trigger the send/recieve command without opening up the phone. Nor could I find a way to trigger off the keyboard for that matter. I'm only on the demo though, so perhaps I'm missing something.

2 - Is there a way to navigate inbox with the scrollbar. I can't seem to get it to highlight the first message without touching the screen. It's be really awesome to have it work the way treo mail does, where you can scroll to a message, press to read it, and press again to get back to the message list.

Still a great program, maybe the one, although I'm still trying to work with treomail to make it work for me. Found a new problem with it though, it sets all your emails it retrieves to unread. It checks your email every 15 minutes or so, even if you are on your computer. The result is most of your messages coming in marked as being read, even if they haven't been. Not very cool. The hack I'm about to test is a filter in Eudora (for the computer) that marks every message with a "." in it to unread. Should work, but its a crazy kludge...
    I ran into a constant data thing w/ iambic as well. It happened when I tried to download the attachment from an email (which semi-crapped out), and also when I hit "Cancel" while receiving. I noticed that the green arrows stay on indefinitely after that, until I do a soft reset.
    I just downloaded this software and it's working just fine! I can both send and receive email from my main account. Thanks guys for the great tip!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had big problems with Mark/Space Mail also. I set it up to pull my e-mail every 15 minutes. It seemed to be working fine, so I put down my Treo and left the room for about 45 minutes. When I returned, I found the Treo was very hot to the touch and that I had a "low battery" warning flashing on the screen (the battery had been fully charged when I left it). Needless to say, I immediately deleted this application from my device. If these bugs are worked out, I might be willing to give it a try, but until then, stay away from it!

BTW, does anyone think I might have damaged my Treo this way -- I'm very worried that it may have been hurt by the excessive heat. Everything seems to be working right now, but I don't want to take any chances with a $499 purchase.

David
    I dont think the heat will affect your unit at all. You guys should keep in mind that the link above is pointing to a beta version of Mark/Space Mail. Keep the bug reports/comments coming so that SGruby can fix/add them.

Originally posted by davpel
    I had big problems with Mark/Space Mail also. I set it up to pull my e-mail every 15 minutes. It seemed to be working fine, so I put down my Treo and left the room for about 45 minutes. When I returned, I found the Treo was very hot to the touch and that I had a "low battery" warning flashing on the screen (the battery had been fully charged when I left it). Needless to say, I immediately deleted this application from my device. If these bugs are worked out, I might be willing to give it a try, but until then, stay away from it!

BTW, does anyone think I might have damaged my Treo this way -- I'm very worried that it may have been hurt by the excessive heat. Everything seems to be working right now, but I don't want to take any chances with a $499 purchase.

David
    Have experienced several instances recently where Mark/Space is creating a constant "green arrow" condition after sending/checking mail. The Treo actually begins to heat-up noticeably -- not good.

Selecting the option to "Disconnect after send/receive" fixes this, but kind of defeats the purpose of having the benefit of an "always on" connection.
    3G is not an always on connection. Look at your call log - everytime you check mail, or surf the web the phone makes a call: * Cell Modem , looking at the details it says 777. If it's always on why is the Treo dialing and connecting to my SprintPCS network account everytime I use a data app?

Dunc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast