Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Is there a hack that will allow you to assign specific speed dial number to the four launcher buttons. It is really problematic to aving to open the lid and press the screen for a stored speed dial number.
    You don't need to open the lid. If the screen is off, simply press the power button once to turn the screen on, then use the Jog dial to scroll down to the number you want, then press the jog dial in to dial that number. If you want to go to a different speed dial page, scroll up from the first item on the speed dial page (typically Voicemail), and it will take you to the other pages successively. Never have to open the lid!!
    You don't even need to press the power button, just push the rocker switch in and it will bring up the speed dial screen. That is unless you have modified it with buttons-T or treobutton or something or some other program.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Sbcrair: I can do everything you stated in your post but I cannot make dial the number. Am I missing the setting.
    When I try to select a speed dial with the jog dial it just beeps at me unless I open the lid.
    Not sure what you guys are doing, but you should be able to move the jogdial down/up to choose a speed dial button. However, you have to have the hands free plugged in to the phone to be able to actually connect with the lid closed. (Kinda hard to listen and talk with the lid closed and no hands-free, huh?) Then, just puch the jog-dial in, and it will connect.
    It's been a while, I think, since this issue was raised, but I'm searching anew...(and wasn't able to find in any other post anything that would answer my question).

So - does anyone know, in the months since this question was raised in this thread, if there is any app/hack that can either assign speed dial entries to hard buttons or programs that, upon loading, will automatically call a specified #? I'd like to use my hard buttons as speed dial entries, and to avoid the questions that came from this thread earlier, I know that I could just use the speed dial page and the jog dial, but I'm trying for the ability to do it without even using my eyes...

When I'm driving on the freeway, I don't really feel comfortable freeing up a hand to try to carefully jog down to the right speed dial entry...if I try to do it from memory (3 clicks down to "X" phone number...), I invariably click one too far or too short...

Someone using an I330 has made an app that works on the I330 to automatically call voicemail (or any other specified number) upon launching...Using Launch X hack, I can assign such a program to a hard button to launch after holding the button for 2 secs...that would be marvelous. The afore-mentioned app only works on I330, not Treo.

Anywho...I've searched the internet to no avail, and hope that someone here may know something!

Thanks, all

Needles
    Okay! Found a program at Palmgear.com...called Tap Dial...It sets up Speed Dial entries that are placed directly on your app launcher. This is nice for me, because, as I said earlier, I can simply use Launch X hack to set it up to hold 2 secs on the Datebook button, and then it calls the number! It's pretty nice, if anyone is interested!

If anyone knows of other programs that do this, or other workarounds that they've figured out, let me know! I'd love to hear of anything else...
    Originally posted by needles
    Okay! Found a program at Palmgear.com...called Tap Dial...It sets up Speed Dial entries that are placed directly on your app launcher. This is nice for me, because, as I said earlier, I can simply use Launch X hack to set it up to hold 2 secs on the Datebook button, and then it calls the number! It's pretty nice, if anyone is interested!

If anyone knows of other programs that do this, or other workarounds that they've figured out, let me know! I'd love to hear of anything else...
    You are a genius!

When I first saw TapDial announced, I thought "Hah, we don't need that on a Treo - we've got hot buttons on the PhoneBook page - why would we want to switch over to the Apps Launch page to press on favorite numbers?"

But after reading your post, the lightbulb belatedly went on in my head! I downloaded TapDial, created app icons for each of my four favorite numbers, then went into X-Master, activated EasyLaunch, and set each of my four hard bottom buttons to one of those four phone numbers, as if they were all real apps (which apparently they now sort of are, at least EasyLaunch thinks they are) and set the "Style" to "Hold Long" and Bingo, I've got four hard hot keys when I press and hold instead of pressing momentarily.

Thanks for this great idea, Needles!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Woohoo!

Glad that this was something that someone else found useful! Thought it was just me getting excited about it!
    > TapDial
    >
    > Hi Nate,
    > I read your post about using the 4 hard keys on your Treo 300 to speed dial
    > numbers, which is a super idea. Nevertheless, there is one problem I'm having
    > since installing these 3 programs you might be able to help me with. I must
    > have done something inadvertantly with one of them (EasyLaunch) because I can
    > no longer get the DateBook button to bring up DateBook, but instead it keeps
    > bringing up the Contacts list. I went to Preferences to be sure that under the
    > "Buttons" menu that DateBook+ is selected by the DateBook button; also, I made
    > sure that the program TreoButton wasn't causing the problem.
    > When I deselect EasyLaunch in X-Master, then the DateBook button does what
    > it's supposed to, so it's definitely something in EasyLaunch. Any ideas?
    > Thanks for any help you can give me. Ken
    >

Hi Ken,

Not sure whether this is your problem, but let's step through some possible pitfalls:

EasyLaunch or at least the version I have - 0.16 - has a rather confusing interface.

First of all, it seems that it was written at a time when the four hard buttons on all Palm pdas must have been the same, both in name and in function. Now they aren't. The Treo is a good example of that. So when you go into the configure Menu of EasyLaunch, and look at the button options etc. listed in the left-hand rectangle entitled: "Press Key" - they don't match the ones on the Treo. So, instead, I recommend disregarding their names in that list, and just assume that the first four options in the list will be associated with the first four buttons, left to right, at the bottom of your Treo.

Next point of confusion is interaction between the "Press key" rectangle, the "Style" rectangle in the middle of the top of the screen, and the "Action" with checkboxes at the bottom left. It's not very clear that the "Style" options change according to your selection in the "Press Key" rectangle. So, the best way to go, is to take it one step at a time, as follows:

1) Click the first selection (which EasyLaunch calls DateBook but on the Treo is the PhoneBook) and then 2) go to the "Action" below and click on the checkbox labeled "Apps/DAs: and 3) then use the black diamond to select the phonenumber "app" you wish to assign to that button which you created as an icon with TapDial; and then 4) Make sure the "Style" rectangle in the middle of the top part of the screen is set to "Hold long"

Then repeat this four-step process for each of the first four options in the "Press key" list at the left top, remembering to disregard the names EasyLaunch provides for the first four choices - just count.

Lastly, make sure that, in each of your four key assignments, you have "Style" set to "Hold long" - If you leave it set to "Press" or maybe even "Hold" - that may be the cause of the problem you are having.

Finally - I thought I was done yacking but I guess I wasn't - make sure that when you really want the hard button to perform its original action, you only press and release it very quickly; and that when you want to perform a "Hold long" don't go overboard - it's really a fairly short holding in and the dialing won't start until you release the button, so don't keep holding it in expecting the dialing to start while you are pressing down.

Let me know whether or not this solves your problem.

Regards,

NateS

Does easy launch have the ability to launch apps on a double-press of a hardware key? That way you could have up to 12 speed-dials based on this method.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Does easy launch have the ability to launch apps on a double-press of a hardware key? That way you could have up to 12 speed-dials based on this method.
    As far as I can see, the only options are Press, Hold and Hold Long

There are probably other programs or hacks which accept double presses. Can't think of one offhand though.

Regards,

NateS
    Originally posted by NateS

As far as I can see, the only options are Press, Hold and Hold Long

There are probably other programs or hacks which accept double presses. Can't think of one offhand though.

Regards,

NateS
    I need to add one more thing to my instructions above as to how to effectively use EasyLaunch's quirky interface.

I just discovered that it strangely will allow you to assign both actions - "Press" and "Hold long" to the same key, which you could easily do while fooling around trying to learn how to configure the keys.

I discovered that in fact I had done this myself with my 4th key, so I couldn't get it to perform its normal function either way. This seems silly. The selections ought to be mutually exclusive, unless one is deliberately using EasyLaunch exclusively to assign all functions to buttons.

You can check for this mistake by going into List view and see if you've got the same key assigned to both Press and Hold long. Better yet, go back to the configure screen, press "Press" and then each of the first four key options on the left in succession. If the checkbox below is not set for "Do nothing" while the middle box is set to "Press" better change it to "Do nothing", or in the alternative to the app or function you want to come up when you do a standard and simple press of a hard key.

Regards,

NateS
    OK all you master hackers, heres one that needs to be written (if possible). At the current time, the headset button only hangs up calls, which is kind of lame because when the other party hangs up, the call is over (unless you need to hang up on you ex-wife or something!! )

Can someone write a hack that will answer calls when the CID screen is present, hang up calls when the active call is present, and dial the first speeddial button when the phone is at rest or speeddial screen is present (I've put my VoiceCommand "*" there).

This would basically simulate all those phones out there that have voice dialing, which I find VERY useful when driving and such.

OK any hackers reading this post, you've got your assignment should you choose to accept it. This message will self destruct when the hack has been written!!!

Roger
    What is the difference between Easylauncher and Treo Buttons or Buttons+?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Well, I've got Buttons-T if that's what you're talking about. I've got EasyLaunch ready and waiting to push a button when the lid is closed. My holdup is that TapDial won't let me enter a "*" to access My Voice Command, it insists you enter numbers, so I can't make a shortcut for it. But actually the point is, let's say your on a motorcycle with your cool little earpiece and boom mike with an inline button (for hanging up only on the Treo) and you're cruisin down the highway, and your phone rings. I sure would like to reach up and push that button and chat away rather than pull over, pull off my gloves, open my jacket, dig out my phone, and open the flip, answer, close it, put it away, zip up my coat, put on my gloves, merge with traffic and continue my cruise. Likewise, repeat steps above for making a call. Pushing that button sure would make life easier in many situations!!

Roger
    Originally posted by rogersmith00
    <SNIP>

let's say your on a motorcycle with your cool little earpiece and boom mike with an inline button (for hanging up only on the Treo) and you're cruisin down the highway, and your phone rings. I sure would like to reach up and push that button and chat away rather than pull over, pull off my gloves, open my jacket, dig out my phone, and open the flip, answer, close it, put it away, zip up my coat, put on my gloves, merge with traffic and continue my cruise.

<SNIP>
    Huh?? Why can't you answer calls with your headset? Are you using the one that came with it? You should be able to....read here:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    Well, I've been to several threads where this was a topic, and nobody has had any idea about this. I've had my Treo for a week and have been searching for how to do this. The manual says "press the headset button", which doesn't work on mine, I assure you. I guess when I find the darn thing I'll test it out and I'm sure your right. I've bookmarked that site and that's the first place I'll look now.

Now I'm just down to figuring out how to activating the Voice Command without having to dig out the phone. Oh, well can't get everything you want.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Originally posted by needles
    Woohoo!

Glad that this was something that someone else found useful! Thought it was just me getting excited about it!
    Sooooooooo...
    What's the deal with TapDial?
    Will it integrate will with Buttons-T?
    Can I program it to audial "*" to access Voice Command?

To buy or not to buy... That is the question.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant