1.    #1  
    Well, as I am sure you have all experienced, Sprint "support" wait times are just obscene. At least 30 minutes, and often over an hour, to reach a questionably qualified "expert."

So, I was expecting "push" email, judging from Handspring's FAQ's, but I seem to have been wrong.

Sprint has told me that I need to download my own POP client, and they suggested Eudora. This only gets email when I poll, and there doesn't seem to be any way to schedule it so it automatically polls every 10 minutes, or any other scheduling capability. Am I wrong?

Is there a better way to get Treo email?

Also, I have been unable to set up a Sprint PCS email account. However, I don't see that there would be any advantage to such an account over just a regular pop3 account with my ISP. Is there?

Is there any way to have email pushed to your Treo? Or, at least, is there any way to schedule email? Or, is there any way to receive a notification that you have email?

If you poll your pop server, and there is no email waiting, is there any data charge associated with that?

Handspring indicates that the email client shipping with the Treo 300 is Sprint's Business Connection. However, Sprint tells me that this is only used if you have an Exchange or Notes server at your corporate headquarters, and is useless for everyone else. Is this correct?

Is there any reason to investigate Treo Mail (costs $) over Eudora (free)?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if these subjects have been covered elsewhere. I am grateful for the existence of this resource.

Andy
    Hi,

With Treo Mail from Handspring you can schedule when you want it to grab your email - ie every half an hour between 9AM and 5PM. If you have a Vision plan you will be charged by the amount of data which will vary depending on how much email you are getting.

Business Connection should work with Outlook and others, not just Notes.

I am using Treo 300 with Treo Mail Corporate edition to grab my outlook email and it works well. I schedule the pulls so it seems like push!

Cheers.

Downhill
    Originally posted by downhill

I am using Treo 300 with Treo Mail Corporate edition to grab my outlook email and it works well. I schedule the pulls so it seems like push!

downlhill,

How does your battery life hold out with regular polling for emails? How often are you setting it for a fetch?

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    I have it set to retrieve every half hour from 8 to 7. It doesn't seem to drain the batter too much. Voice and especially speaker phone seem to drain it much more.

I generally charge it during the day when I'm at my desk and then in my car if it seems to need it and haven't had it run out of juice yet.
  5.    #5  
    If you poll for email and there is none, do you get charged?

I understand that Treo Mail can be set to send you an SMS message when you get mail. Is that true?

How do you get charged for SMS messages?
    Yes Treo Mail can be setup to alert you to new messages, but the frequency is not documented. And, as far as anyone knows at Sprint, SMS messages are charged as data.
    I'm pretty sure I won't get charged for polling for email if there is no email since the device is just connecting and not downloading anything. I'm not sure about SMS messages. I do see a message after I've polled which tells me "you have 6 unread emails, would you like to view them now?" but I don't think that's an SMS.

On the issue of charges from Sprint I won't know for sure until I see my first bill after Vision has been enabled.
    I'm sure you'll be charged a little even when you have no messages. The mail client and the mail server still exchange a bit of data during the "check" for mail.

Not very much, but not nothing. :-)
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    One of your questions is in regards to Sprint PCS mail that uses your PCS Vision user name @sprintpcs.com as an e-mail alias. That messaging platform has not yet been launched. As for polling your POP3 Server, you can do that using either a Eudora or Treo Mail application. Or if you want the e-mail pushed to you, sign up for Business Connection and use the POP3 account as the account that gets synced with.
  10.    #10  
    >Or if you want the e-mail pushed to you, sign up for Business Connection and use the POP3 account as the account that gets synced with.

Sprint told me that Business Connection is only for Exchange or Notes servers. Are they wrong?

What happens with Business Connection? Do they send you an SMS when the mail is pushed? How does it work?
    That is true. Business Connection works only with Outlook and Notes currently. However, once you sign up for at least the Enterprise Edition I know, you can also add a netmail account like yahoo, hotmail msn etc. The way the sync works is really pretty similar to how Blackberry works. You pre-assign your device to either sync every X minutes or manually sync at will whenever. Your device communicates with the BC server which in turn communicates with your POP3, Exchange or Notes server via SSL, Frame or VPN (customer's choice with Enterprise edition).
    I think the question is not so much whether BC supports other servers beside Exchange and Domino; I think the question is whether it can be used without a server.

I have heard conflicting reports of whether there are two versions of BC software. The two versions would be enterprise level, which runs from a server and works with Exchange and Domino, and a desktop version which runs on your desktop (provided your desktop is able to access the internet and vice versa, and you can leave it running 24/7.

Also, if there are two versions, it's not clear to me whether the desktop version offers full functionality--i.e., whether it will update calendar, contacts and email folders; or whether it's just a POP3 email forwarder. (for that matter, I'm not totally sure what functionality the server version has, heh)
    Also, if there are two versions, it's not clear to me whether the desktop version offers full functionality--i.e., whether it will update calendar, contacts and email folders; or whether it's just a POP3 email forwarder. (for that matter, I'm not totally sure what functionality the server version has, heh)
    I would love to hear an answer to the above comment. Is any one using the Sprint BC software and can answer the questions...please let me know. Thanks

Scott Wharton
    Originally posted by markshelby
    I think the question is not so much whether BC supports other servers beside Exchange and Domino; I think the question is whether it can be used without a server.

I have heard conflicting reports of whether there are two versions of BC software. The two versions would be enterprise level, which runs from a server and works with Exchange and Domino, and a desktop version which runs on your desktop (provided your desktop is able to access the internet and vice versa, and you can leave it running 24/7.

Let's see if I can clarify some of this. SPCS has two versions of BC software: Personal Edition and Enterprise Edition. In regard to the Enterprise Edition:

Business Connection Enterprise Edition resides on the enhanced Sprint nationwide PCS network so the service works with virtually any Sprint PCS Phone or phone/PDA combinationwith a wireless web browser.
    You can even use a handheld computing device equipped with a
    PCS Connection Card. Business Connection Enterprise Edition is flexible enough to support a workforce with a diversity of PCS devices.

And, even though there are no hardware or software installs required on the company's network, PCS Business Connection Enterprise EditionSM provides full service control and reporting capabilities using a web-based management tool. Administrative features include:
    Subscriber Provisioning and Management - Add, edit, suspend, and delete user accounts.
    Security Settings and Monitoring - Establish custom security policies by establishing minimum-security levels with respect to access types and password caching.
    Reporting - Monitor the use of services including standard reporting on the number of active users, number of service requests and duration of sessions, and usage amount of specific features such as email or calendar, among other reporting capabilities.
    Manage Internal Administration - Establish other administrative accounts within the company to off-load administrative duties to other departments.

PCS Business Connection Enterprise Edition provides secure connectivity from your company's email server all the way to the PCS mobile device. The most common access type is SSL-application-level encryption. Additional connectivity options such as VPN and Frame Relay are available based on the needs of your company. See the technical information paper below for in-depth information on access security.

In regard to the Personal Edition, the software resides (like the Enterprise Edition) on your desktop/laptop and works with either Exchange, Domino or IMAP servers. Your PC running the BC software has to have a constant on Internet connection for access to your office email, calendar and one file folder on your PC hard drive. Additionally, the software gives you the ability to connection share with other SPCS subscribers in your office. It also allows you via the Web interface to configure other POP3/IMAP accounts to be able to be accessed from the Web interface.

Keep in mind, however, that the BC app for the Treo gives you the ability to send/receive email as if you were in the office. It does not allow you to view email attachments nor access your calendar or the one file folder on your PC.

If you desire to access your calendar, the documents in the one file folder on your PC, your office email as well as other POP3/IMAP accounts you have configured, you will need to use the Blazer browser to access bc.sprintpcs.com and use the Web interface to do so.

Hope this helps.
    enagel: great explanation! Probably the best summary of BC I've seen/read/heard, including on SPCS's site! Thanks.
    For those wanting a more detailed technical discussion of both BC editions: http://www1.sprintpcs.com/media/Asse...4.24_d0e45.pdf
    One small correction to my explanation of the differences between the BC enterprise and personal editions as I was typing quickly. In the enterprise edition there is no software that resides on the desktop/laptop. Instead the enterprise edition relies on an managed extranet relationship between SPCS and the enterprise.

Sorry for any confusion on this point.
    So far I haven't been able to find the anser to this question: can personal edition be used (i.e., calendar, email, attachments, via BC client or Blazer) with a PC that is running Outlook, but is not connected to an exchange server?

I ask because I will not be able to run it at work; I would instead run it from my home PC (it has a static IP and runs 24/7, and also does duty as my email server for my own domain). On my home PC I run Outlook, which pulls email from my own email server (POP3 and IMAP, running, as I said, on the same computer) as well as two other POP3 servers (and of course the calendar and contact information in Outlook is stored locally rather than on a server with Exchange).

Thanks in advance.
    I've been all over this email issue and think i found a pretty good solution.

first of all, because i get so many emails i don't want them pushed to me, not all of them at least (plus, since sprint chagres for transmission, i only want to pay for certain ones). i've been using this system:

1. i use outlook 2000 and have developed some rules (i.e. if my name is in the To: line and from certain people, etc.) that will conditionally send me an SMS message AND forward a copy of the email to yahoo (i have a yahoo account and yahoo has a great interface for the Treo).

2. the sms message gives me the name of the person that sent it and the subject line (funny how people don't know how to properly use the subject line....). this gives me an idea of what the message is about. if i want to see it, i go to my yahoo mail and view the one i want to see (haven't tried attachements yet, but yahoo can open attachments, so i probably can see them too). if i don't want to see the mail (and most i don't need to see), i leave it there until i'm on a connected pc and i go into yahoo mail and delete the mail as approporiate. i can also use yahoo mail to reply to or compose a new messsge (you can change the preferences so the reply has any email address you want).

3. i also wanted to have an email program that i could hot synch with outlook so i can download my mail when i leave the office and work on it (reply, delete, etc.) when i have the time. i use Eudora which works great.

4. i also found a great service to send and retieve mail from eudora wirelessly (i set up a sign-up page if you are interested http://2191.namesdirect.net/). you can register your own domain name (like attreo300.com) for $30/year, and you get all kinds of alias, 10mb of storage, forwarding , sending, and much more, all for the price of the name registration alone. if you pick a domain name like attreo300.com, you can have a wireless email address like mike@attreo300.com. my dsl provider doesn't let you use their smtp server when you are off their network, i.e. on the sprint wireless network, so this is great for me. AND, you can have eudora check for mail there anytime you want, and it will pull it down to your Treo, use it in combination with email forwarding to send you an sms (similar to what is described above), and IT WILL LET YOU CREATE AND SEND MAIL or SMS JUST LIKE A BLACKBERRY! Want more, you can build a FREE website using your domain name, (www.attreo300.com) and build a web page that you can link to from your Treo... the possibilities are endless.

so, with the current limitations of the Treo 300, sprintpcs network, isp's that don't let you use their smtp servers from off network, an sms system that doesn't let you reply, and all the other problems on these discussion boards, some combination of the above should solve all of your problems.

i know sprint is working with handspring to solve problems, but i think the above approach will be superior to anything they come up with (but i am looking forward to seeing their stuff in the next few months).

good luck!
    (Addressing the immediately preceding post)

If you have a DSL connection with a static IP and your ISP doesn't block the traffic, you can register your own domain name and then run a mail server on your PC.

I use Mercury Mail. It's very stable, runs under Windows, doesn't use hardly ANY resources, has a lot of functionality (POP3 & MAPI, rule-based filtering) and since it's your server you can create as many accounts as you'd like, eliminate restrictions on attachment sizes, etc. etc.

Oh, and it's free; you only pay $13/year to register the domain.

Apache for Windows is another good, free alternative.

(The rule-based filtering in Mercury would probably allow you to forward mail to the SMS address based on rules, but I haven't mucked around with that much (yet). If that were the case, you wouldn't have to run the resource-hogging Outlook 24/7.)