1.    #1  
    whats some good uses or programs for an sdcard in my new treo?
    ~mark
    I use a 64 MB MMC card to store applications leaving my RAM for data and applications that I use the most. Use FileCaddy (free) to move the files back and forth.
    ------------------------
    Living life like I don't know when it will end.
    ---------------------
    An absolute necessity is BackupBuddyVFSFree. Freeware at PalmGear and can restore your system EXACTLY from your SD card. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever done a suupposedly complete backup from the Palm Desktop. The SD with the proper software can store, read, and sometimes write non-palm files like jpegs and word MSWord files.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    An absolute necessity is BackupBuddyVFSFree. Freeware at PalmGear and can restore your system EXACTLY from your SD card. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever done a suupposedly complete backup from the Palm Desktop. The SD with the proper software can store, read, and sometimes write non-palm files like jpegs and word MSWord files.
    I'm not a Treo owner yet, just doing my homework. I have more of a question than a reply. Using a SD card as back up, do you need a dedicated card or can you have a large (128MB +) card and have back up info as well as other things? (i.e. photos, docs, etc...)
    Jack of many trades, Master of all...
    A backup has it's own directory on the SD card. The rest of the card is available for whatever you need. A backup will use 16megs at most of a 128meg SD card. That gives you at least 112Megs for your files, apps whatever.

Most apps can launch from an SD Card. Some databases can be stored and modified directly on the card as well.
    Good to go... Thanks.
    Kevin.. you are DA MAN!!! I've had my treo 90 in just under 2 weeks but you and the rest of the good people here have provided some very good information about our little investment that I feel very well informed about its functionality! I'm glad to know that an SD card can be used for dual purposes.. for backup and to store applications and data. I definately plan to do this with a 128mb SD sometime soon.

A word of caution to all though... backups mean exactly that.. if you truly want to have a backup SD, best practice is to leave your updated secondary backup SD at home.. you can leave the primary backup (shared with the Apps and Data) in the Treo. I say this because, if heaven forbid.. you lose your Treo... you don't want to be caught with just one backup attached to your missing device!

'just my $0.02 cents.

Cheers everyone!
    Road,

Very good point. Since the data in your handheld is worth more than the handheld itself, keeping a 16meg card in a drawer at work or home and backing up once a day is a small price. Yahoo Shopping has 32meg SDs for as cheap as $20.
    In hind sight that does make perfect since. Wouldn't want "all my eggs in one basket" so to speak. Now, my next question is I would probably need a 32mb card? If I understand it correctly the Treo needs 16mb to back up and the 16mb card is less than 16mb after it's formatted.?.?.?...
    Well BackupBuddy only needs 16Mb if you are actually using ALL 16Mb of your memory...the program works by basically copying all of the files on your Treo into a folder on the card, so if you are only using 8Mb of space than the backup only needs 8Mb of space on the card.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    Hello all,
    I have a TREO 90 on the way to me from Handspring (upgrading from Prism ), and i'm curious what we can use in our new found SD slot. Are we limited to only memory at this point until the SDIO update is available? Or are there other options available to us? Thanks

Hank
    Hello all,
    I have a TREO 90 on the way to me from Handspring (upgrading from Prism ), and i'm curious what we can use in our new found SD slot. Are we limited to only memory at this point until the SDIO update is available? Or are there other options available to us? Thanks

Hank
    Dedicated SD apps like a thesaurus and spellchecker card should work. Launcbing apps, backup, saving to Sd in nonpalm formats, reading and viewing from nonpalm formats work with the right apps. If an app is made correctly, you can store both the app and database on the Sd and edit bds directly on the SD as well.
    Hi all,

2 questions:

How long did a 16 meg backup to the SD take you?? For mine it took about 15-20minutes, so I'm wondering if this is slow.

Second thing, is there a program/hack that allows me to run programs off the SD card without it downloading the program into the ram?? It is rather slow to tell you the truth.

thirdly, How fast is the SD card supposed to be? during the listing of apps it takes a while for the thing to read i.e. I have to wait 2-3 seconds... mind you I have 23 megs worth of stuff on the card.

By the way, I have the 128 meg card.
    Chef,

Using BackupBuddyVFSFree backing up 8 megs to SD takes me about 2-3 minutes. I may be wrong, but I think the system doesn't backup unchanged files, so the second backup is faster than the first.

Apps on SD: It's my understanding that some apps follow SD conventions that allow them to be run directly off the disc while others need to download. I don't think there's a hack that helps here.

I think the more you have on an SD, the longer it will take to show the apps in the launcher.
    Last edited by J. Kevin Wolfe; 09/20/2002 at 11:00 AM.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Apps on SD: It's my understanding that some apps follow SD conventions that allow them to be run directly off the disc while others need to download. I don't think there's a hack that heps here.
    ya there is its a program, not a hack. (freeware )
    i havent personally used it, so dont complain to me if it stinks.

my 32mb SD card is full of wordsmith docs already

MS Mount

Application Description:
    MSMount allow you to access palm applications and databases that are on the Memory Stick or SD card as if they are on the DRAM of Palm device. With this MSMount, an application that is not support Virtual File System can access to Memory Stick or SD card. You can move large databases (ex. dictionary) from DRAM of Palm device into Memory Stick and make much free space on memory.

p.s. - i think that the CLIES ship with this app......never owned one though,
    I love my Treo 90.
    another use is an SD Bluetooth card!!! Bluetooth all the way! Now if I can only find a treo 90 for sale...
    I love my Treo 90.