1.    #1  
    Does the TREO called ID work with keycontacts??
    Good question.
    My gut reaction is to say no. I make that assumption because Caller ID works from the built-in address book and speed dial databases. Keycontacts is able to have all those additional fields because it uses its own database to store the data. Since the Treo isn't looking into the KeyContacts database when a call comes in, any number that's not in your built-in address book/contacts database will appear as "unknown" and show the number of the caller. Your best bet is to see if there's a way to have the basic information for people synchronized into the built -in database just for the caller ID functionality.
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    What I fail to understand is why the basic Palm contacts database has not been updated over the years to be able to handle the numerous other Outlook fields, specially the additional phone numbers.
    I have been synchronizing both KeyContacts and the built in Phonebook with no problem whatsoever. Changes made i either of the two places are updated while hotsyncing with Outlook to each other. For eg. changes I make in the internal phone book end up being updated in Outlook and which in turn updates KeyContacts. The same also works the other way around. Just make sure you have Synchronizing on for both.
    Originally posted by Sanjay
    I have been synchronizing both KeyContacts and the built in Phonebook with no problem whatsoever. Changes made i either of the two places are updated while hotsyncing with Outlook to each other. For eg. changes I make in the internal phone book end up being updated in Outlook and which in turn updates KeyContacts. The same also works the other way around. Just make sure you have Synchronizing on for both.
    Interesting. So how exactly do you have the Hotsync conduit set up? Does the internal phone book sync with outlook, and then Outlook overwrites Keycontacts all by pressing the Hotsync button? So where do you add information on the Treo? On the internal phone book app or Keycontacts?

I ask because Chapura doesn't suggest using both (which is of course silly, because you'd lose the caller-ID functionality, and/or the phone number lookup in the 270/180 SMS app)
    Originally posted by tcc

Interesting. So how exactly do you have the Hotsync conduit set up? Does the internal phone book sync with outlook, and then Outlook overwrites Keycontacts all by pressing the Hotsync button? So where do you add information on the Treo? On the internal phone book app or Keycontacts?

I ask because Chapura doesn't suggest using both (which is of course silly, because you'd lose the caller-ID functionality, and/or the phone number lookup in the 270/180 SMS app)
    First thing you have to keep in mind that I use Intellisync to sync Outlook with the Treo and not the Outlook conduit that comes with the Treo.
    Basically while setting up Keycontacts I followed the instructions and let the setup turn of the Intellisync conduit and let KeyContacts do the syncing for a couple of Hotsyncs. Then I just went into Intellisync and turned it back on. Now irrespective of where I make changes/additions, be it in Key Contacts or the built in address book of the Treo, the changes show up in Outlook and in Keycontacts and the Treo Address Book.
    Personally it's kinda stupid of Chapura to expect people using the Treo to turn off the internal address book for reasons you have already mentioned, which is no link with the Treo phone features, eg. caller id.

PS: By the way I suggest that you do all your additions and updations/changes to your contacts thru KeyContacts and let the hotsync update the internal Treo Address book database.

Sanjay
    Last edited by Sanjay; 11/06/2002 at 12:09 PM.
    It sounds like the exact same solution should work with the Chapura Pocket-Mirror Conduit that comes with the Treo... The only thing that I might worry about is duplication of entries in Outlook; same name, but differing information -- even more or less information will create seperate entries. Perhaps configuring the built-in Address Book to "Desktop overwrites Handheld" will keep everything tidy. Any comments before one of us is a guina-pig -- perhaps someone with "Backup Buddy" (which I'd love a review of if you have it)?

PS Sorry for butting in at the last minute, but I've been wondering the same thing and eavesdropping on your thread.