1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of any software for the Visor that can dowload from the internet? For example, You're on the road with your Visor and modem, and find a really cool app for it. When you go to click on the link, you get this message that says something like, "no can do padre!" I've seen an FTP program on Palmopensource, but no html browsers that can download (let alone respond with E-mail to embedded addresses) ZIP or even PDB files from web sites. It appears that all downloading at this point has to be done fromthe desktop. Any ideas or suggestions?
    He is Risen!
    You'd think that would be just standard in the OS - if you download a PRC or PDB file then it installs it. But no, you always get the Unsupported file format error. What that basically means is they had the wrong people beta testing the OS, a power user would have identified that very early on in the testing process.

Dunc
    Xiino' s web browser allows you to download .prc and .pdb files directly to your pda. Not sure how this browser works with a visor product but check it out!

http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...2&prodID=42162
  4.    #4  
    I downloaded Xiino (with 30-day trial period, $24.95 after that) and it works fine in my Visor Prism. It allows transfer of html pages to a VFS-enabled card and takes up about 500K by itself. So, if you are going to use it, make sure to have plenty of RAM available. The drawback being this, to use the modem, I have to remove my Memplug and insert the Thinmodem. So I only have my 8 Mb to work with when the Modem is active. It will dowload images (though in my first attempt I ran out of memory). I have not downloaded any .prc or .pbd yet because I haven't surfed enough. But, the problem there is this: When you want to download Palm software, most of it is in .zip format. Xiino promises development of unzip software at some future date on their website. This will give you a fully enabled palm web browser. Just not free. (grrr)
    He is Risen!
    Well, even the following possibilty might be more interesting for German speaking people but its still interesting.

There is a German Palm OS software and information site, called pdassi.de. This site offers a webclipping application which allows to download and install software wirelessly. The webclipping package contains two programs. First the .pqa and a .prc called Downloader. The "Downloader" takes care of downloading and installing other .prc files (from pdassi) to the device. It works perfectly with Blazer and the Treo. You don't need the .pqa-File.

Here is what to do:

1. Go to pdassi.de and download the webclipping WCA:
    http://pdassi.de/producteng.php?prod_id=326

Install the .prc file on your Treo. Tap on it. The .prc file is an archive and it will extract the pqa and the downloader prc after tapping "start".

When the two files are extracted, you'll see the pdataxi icon on your launcher. Since this is a webclipping application you won't normally be able to start it. Open Blazer and go to this URL:

http://pdassi.de/wcf

You will see the link "Direkt Download" (engl. direct downlad). Tap on it to get a list of downloadable software titles. Tap on the Palm symbol to download it and install the title on your treo. Blazer will automatically start the Downloader.

On the top of the direct download page you will see a list of different software categories. Currently are several hundred titles available for direct download. At the bottom of the page you see with "Weiter" a link which brings you to next page. Weiter is similar to "Next" in English.

I think its very cool and impressive to download and install software just on the go. If there is enough request it might be possible to create an English version of this mobile download website.

Have fun and try it!

-Markus
    Markus,

Isn't this what palmgear.pqa is supposed to do?

Thanks.

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Craig,
    well, PalmGear.pqa does not interact so well with the Blazer and I think you need the webclipping applications installed on your Treo in order to run it.

I think also that the "Downloader" solution is much more stable and reliable. Did you tried it?

Markus
    Markus,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I am not aware of that PQA, however, I contact PalmGear, and they sent me a file that is supposed to help with PalmGear.pqa. I installed it and it did seem to make a differrence, however I couldn't successfully download anything because I kept getting "Reset" errors.

Craig

PS Are you aware of how to use the 2G "My Wireless Web"? I miss it!
    Hi,
    try the attached file (Downloader.prc) and install it on your Treo. You don't need any Webclipping for wireless download. Its free software and developed by us.

Start Blazer afterwards and go to:
    http://pdassi.de/wcf/product.php?prod_id=6022

Klick on "Direkt herunterladen:" and see what happens

I don't know about 2G "My Wireless Web". What is it (or used to be)?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks Markus,

Unfortunately, because I cannot download this file with my Treo, I'll have to do it tonight from home (unless you know of a way I can download it with my Treo).

My Wireless Web was (and still is I believe) a customized menu of sites including a link that logs you into Sprint to view your bill, useage, etc. You would set it up via PC at www.sprintpcs.com. Ring a bell?
    Originally posted by csherman

My Wireless Web was (and still is I believe) a customized menu of sites including a link that logs you into Sprint to view your bill, useage, etc. You would set it up via PC at www.sprintpcs.com. Ring a bell?
    Ahhhhh... I see. Since Sprint is not available in Germany I couldn't know this service. However, now I know what you mean even I'm not able to answer your question

Yes, just try the downloader tonight and let me know what you think.

-Markus
    Markus,

It definitely downloaded something, but not speaking German, I have no idea what. I do however, have a sudden and strange craving for weiner schnitzel....

Seriously, I couldn't read the scroll, what the heck did I download, and can I download other things???

Craig
    Anyone have the English version of the downloader.prc above?
    it is really amazing to add download feature in Blazer...

but.. is it for Blazer only?

Thank you!
    Hi email4hk2002.
    it also works with Webclipping. I think this Download-Addon for Blazer kind of impressive. Currently, I have to visit many trade fairs and to present how I can get an ebook without sitting on my computer. It makes a good sense with this feature and a Treo handheld.

However, I don't know if there is enough demand to localize this software into English. I'm still thinking about a business plan... Any idea?

-Markus